Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you use the Jobclock. It isn't really nessisary for our company at this time but I am interested in it for the future.

If you don't use the Jobclock how do you keep track of your employees time?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
In much the same way that I don't like a homeowner micromanaging my work, I don't micromanage my people either. If a guy is a little late here and there, it doesn't really affect me either way. The same guys that are occasionally running a little late are often in early too. It balances out. I do understand that without time recordkeeping such as this device would provide, it would be a little tougher to fire a guy for chronic lateness and have a leg to stand on at the unemployment compensation hearing.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mdshunk said:
In much the same way that I don't like a homeowner micromanaging my work, I don't micromanage my people either.
You would have to have a good level of trust built up with them. That would be the ideal way to go.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Humble Abode said:
You would have to have a good level of trust built up with them. That would be the ideal way to go.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you might know that I mean. An electrician (such as I deal with) is a different mentality of person than, say, an ironworker or brickmason. That works to my benefit. If I were involved in a different trade, then I might have a different outlook.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mdshunk said:
In much the same way that I don't like a homeowner micromanaging my work, I don't micromanage my people either. If a guy is a little late here and there, it doesn't really affect me either way. The same guys that are occasionally running a little late are often in early too. It balances out. I do understand that without time recordkeeping such as this device would provide, it would be a little tougher to fire a guy for chronic lateness and have a leg to stand on at the unemployment compensation hearing.
I understand where you're coming from. When I used to superintend for an insurance restoration contractor, he and I would go round and round on this subject. He wanted me to make sure the guys were in the shop by 7, and on the road by 7:15. He'd show up around 7:30 himself, and get upset to see guys still in the shop. He tried to get me to install a timeclock, but I refused.

I told him that A) I didn't want to rush the guys out in the morning, because then I'd get radio calls during the day, to bring them this or that which they took off and forgot. I'd rather have them slow down a little when loading for the day, and make sure they had every tool and material needed for that day; B) Often I had to review the day's assignment with each team, and if I was talking with one team, the other would just have to wait a few minutes; C) I had an understanding with my guys - if they were a few minutes late, I would expect them to work a few minutes extra, or shorten their lunch by a few minutes. They were big boys, so I didn't babysit them on this point, but let them know I would trust them to monitor such things on their own. I treated them fair, and asked them to do the same to me. I also let them know that while I wasn't looking over their shoulder or timing them with a stopwatch, if I ever found out they were intentionally cheating the company, they were out of there. and D) I had worked for the Federal Government at one time, and I saw the totally counterproductive and incentive killing effects of "micro-managing" (as a postman I was given a disciplinary letter for opening a mailbox with the "wrong hand"!).

At any rate, this system worked for me with our small staff (about 8 guys), and we had tremendous productivity, and his business grew substantially during my tenure. I had one guy that would work 9 hours and put 8 on his card - I really got upset and told him not to do that. He responded "OK, but I've never had a job I enjoy as much as this one, and I still can't believe you don't ask me to come in and work off the clock, like my old boss, and I'm just trying to show my appreciation in my own way." I did break him of the habit, but he was always one of my best guys, very conscientious and very consistent.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My employees take care of their own time. They are professionals and I honor that.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An employee is an employee is an employee. They are just like a child in the respect that they will feel you out to see what they can get away with. If you have trustworthey employees you wouldn't need a Jobclock or any other system.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mdshunk said:
Sorry you feel that way.
I've a had a few supervisor jobs in my short life...

I am willing to put my faith in someone being new, If I find them to be trustworthy my attitude on that particular employee would change, but not before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts