Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our extensive remodel is almost finished, and I was wondering, do we give our contractor a gift or some kind of monetary reward for the job.
I just am not sure of the etiquette here. What have some of you received in the past?
Thanks Hobe

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
It is totally expected! It would be like not leaving a tip when you go out to dinner!

Money never goes out of style.

Bag of Cash is my favorite - usually 15% of the total job if the service was good, but 20% is not unusual if service was excellent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Mike Finley said:
It is totally expected! It would be like not leaving a tip when you go out to dinner!

Money never goes out of style.

Bag of Cash is my favorite - usually 15% of the total job if the service was good, but 20% is not unusual if service was excellent.
Thanks that helps. Hobe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

cdac said:
Hobe
One of the most appreciated things you could do for your contractor after an extensive remod would be mabey hosting a house warming party or open house with some friends & neighbors and invite him and his crew and posibly some of the subs too. You sound like a satisfied customer... :)
Thanks for the help. That is what I had in mind plus a gift.
Hobe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gifts I have recieved? Omaha steaks, a bonus tip, a weeks stay in their other vacation home, a weeks stay in the new lake home I just built for them, Master's tickets, concert tickets.............and most frequently, the cook-out.(You must provide beer-and not Old Milwaukee, its got to be PBR)
I think ProWallGuy has the best by far, if your happy, referr him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sentry said:
Gifts I have recieved? Omaha steaks, a bonus tip, a weeks stay in their other vacation home, a weeks stay in the new lake home I just built for them, Master's tickets, concert tickets.............and most frequently, the cook-out.(You must provide beer-and not Old Milwaukee, its got to be PBR)
I think ProWallGuy has the best by far, if your happy, referr him.

Some great gifts you have received....Thanks for the ideas
Hobe

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hobe I’ve been rewarded reading your question, and I didn’t work for you. :Thumbs:

If you give a gift, wrap them up a box of disposable shoe covers. I don’t know why I think this is funny. :confused:

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Take the crews to diner at a decent place, outback will work. Get them all a fat steak.....with a potatoe.....a beer....or tw....three, yea thats the ticket......gota go.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Most of mine come from perks that the owner already has. Frequent flyer miles, the hotel breaks, restaurant certificates, etc.
What the heck, beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I never want to go to Bellevue, WA, Huntington Beach, CA or St. Catherines, CA again.
On the upside, I have fished Costa Rica, been to Hawaii and spent a lot of time in the Bahamas and down island.
Pretty good, eh?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Personally I never EXPECT anything, but I've worked with some really great people over the years, referalls first and foremost are always great since in effect it's the gift that keeps on giving should you score a job. Envelopes with cash in them, gift certificates for nice steakhouses, $180 in free car wash tickets from the owner of local car wash, fresh cut steaks/chops from the locker, many times I've been offered and have taken them up on lunches they prepare while I'm working, cookies....well..ahh...I dont wanna get started on the cookie issue since that's always a double edged sword.

I always have a real tough time accepting gifts though, I know homie means well, but it really humbles me, and the gift itself is not what make sme happiest since it will be used up depending on what it is, but the satisfaction and smile on my face when I drive away knowing they took the extra effort to say thank you. and that'll last forever :Thumbs: .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts