Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned this before but I haven't seen anybody really comment on this new business model for contractor directories. servicetrades .com has in my opinion gotten it right. we complain about which ones are no good, let's support the directories that get it right, that's the only way to change the industry.

A directory that matches the home owner to the right local contractor based on a few easy questions that take about 20 seconds to complete.
the questions asked are: Location, size of project, industry (residential or Commercial), trade & specialty. 5 quick and simple questions and you get a list of contractors that will be happy to take that project. the homeowner then calls the contractor directly, instantly and most likely no more than 2-3 of us!

Have you seen service magics questionnaire? it asks questions that in my opinion are difficult for a non contractor to answer, and at the end of all of that the homeowner has to wait for contractors to call, often many more than 3.

At this time servicetrades .com is pretty cheap $5.95 per month, However, because they are trying to get off the ground, contractors can sign up 100% free for being among the first 1000 to join.

If a company like service magic could turn to this business model with their traffic and hold on the industry I believe all contractor would jump to sign up.

Let's send SM a message; sign up FREE to servicetrades .com with the promo code: KFI or Direct

you don't need a credit card when you use these promo codes. (and I think one is better than the other, more coverage area)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Spam! 2 in one day? WTF, over? I thought this crap was against the rulez? BURN him! Burrrnnn him!!!

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C'mon stuttering Mike, this is an anti Servicemagic, Angie's list etc., post.

I think this is a good model, it just needs to become like SM in size or maybe SM will wise up!

What haven't you ever recommended a service or product? find another site like this and I'll sign up there too!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Plain God's honest truth is why do we need a directory?

Consumers can go to Google and type in kitchen remodeling contractor denver and find what's on that directory.

Why does anybody think we need a middle man.

Unless your a democrat. :laughing:

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Directories are good ways to funnel traffic to your site, kinda like a shopping mall. Unless you know how to perform SEO and Page rank and such, but even then, your no worse off directing extra traffic to your site from a free directory anyway.

From what I gathered here on this forum, 'Dmoz' is the big cheese of all directories and also FREE!

And your right! NO MIDDLEMAN NEEDED!! let the customer call the contractor direct!

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you mean 'editor'? you get to pick and choose who gets in to Dmoz? and what, you charged for it?

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:shifty: I see, so that's why you pulled your post ... I feel another conpsiracy coming...

Yeah I kind of figured if it's human edited then it will have human problems, like pettiness, cronyism and out right fraud in the form of bribery... still the site to be listed under though!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
LOL. Conspiracy!

Well, for the first time I'm in agreement with you in regard to that.

I don't know what goes on there now. But after they were dropped by AOL as their search results that place became a tiny player on the Internet. And amazingly alot of editors suddenly didn't have that desire to volunteer their time there anymore.:laughing: Not sure why.:whistling

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you even find an editor? real world? I imagine they couldn't advertise...

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh, figured you can buy one, once you found one... :shifty:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I don't know about that. I'm sure it happened, but that's a miniscule percentage compared to the amount of editors who were there to control whatever part of that directory would benefit them the most through controlling who got in and what the description ended up being.

I went and look at it today for the first time in years and low and behold it looks like 90% of it now has no editors at all. Big changes. Pretty revealing. Once the economic advantage of being an editor went away so did all the volunteer editors.

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah well I read, (possibly a link from this forum) that getting in Dmoz will immediately boost your Page rank a point or two. and I'm guessing Page rank may increase traffic.

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Green Gesture Fictional character Cheering Laugh

... I said FREE!!

1. Upload your company Logo & job site photos
2. enter full contact information
3. Complete bio of your business
4. Links to your website.
5. Choose your coverage area and service.
6. Only get calls for jobs you want to do. (whether by size, type or location)
7. plus have access to their classified & Jobs section
8. free back link from a construction site w/ PR3

Kick SM and some of these other 'Lead generating' sites in the pants, support a better model, get them to change to this type of business.

·
Registered
29 Posts
DMOZ is a joke.
DMOZ is not that important now that Google is the new "big cheese".
I finally got my site listed in DMOZ several months back, but, only after reading through the lengthy “DMOZ submission” guidelines, followed the rules as outlined, submitted my site, never heard back from them for months, re-read the submission guidelines, re-submitted site, never heard back, re-read... it took me two years.

A few years back an editor advertised he could get you into DMOZ for $50 to $350 one time payment, depending if you wanted to wait a year or get in today.
He was fired.

·
Banned
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A 'Joke' see thats confusing... I've read the complete opposite, (except every one says getting in is hard) and no question Google is 'the big cheese' but getting listed is all but assured. Dmoz is supposed to boost your rank with Google right?

so your site is still listed on Dmoz or no?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts