Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a whole line of Rigid tools. I bought a 24volt battery set (drill,flashlight,reciprocating saw,circular saw) impact driver and hole shooter separately.

I didn't like the new Makita look, (with all the rubber parts) and Dewalt is on every job site, so I went with Rigid. They have a pretty good warranty on the battery if the HD rep. is to be believed.

(before I use them) Is RIGID any good? :detective:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
You're gonna find out. I think alot of it boils down to personal preferences. I know guys who have Rigid set ups and swear by them. Others, its Dewalt, Milw, Bosch, etc.. Most of mine are PC, before they merged with BD and Dewalt. I'll buy from different manufacturers depending on the tool; some make better than others.

I do know Rigid is supposed to have a decent warranty a/o return policy. My neighbor works the crap out of his and when they break its back to HD for an exchange. Let us know how yours are working for you.
 

·
Handle It!
Joined
·
9,588 Posts
I have had my 18v Drill/Driver for more than 6 years. I do not use it day in/day out, but when I do use it, I beat it hard. It tends to laugh at me and say "Is that ALL you got BOY?". I swear by them.

They do offer a LIFETIME replacement on the Batteries. (or used to).

I have Recipro., Drill Driver, Circular, and Flashlight.
 

·
Sean
Joined
·
5,495 Posts
For the warranty - go on line & register it, fill out there form, include the receipt & proof of purchase (Make copies - they have lost a few of my registrations) & mail it in. The batteries & tools are now under their lifetime warranty

I haven't tried their cordless tools yet, but everything else I have gotten has been great. the cordless set is next for me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,254 Posts
The young guys are always asking to borrow my Makita 18v lithium cuz their batteries are gone....................:whistling
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,522 Posts
The only Ridgid tools I have ever owned have been their table saws. I've had great luck with them.

Didn't know the drivers and drills and all that were good tools.

I just hate going into the HD to buy anything.
 

·
Handle It!
Joined
·
9,588 Posts
The only Ridgid tools I have ever owned have been their table saws. I've had great luck with them.

Didn't know the drivers and drills and all that were good tools.

I just hate going into the HD to buy anything.

So do I......But I Love Waltzing in with Old and Sauntering out with New! For FREE! (In most cases)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,522 Posts
So do I......But I Love Waltzing in with Old and Sauntering out with New! For FREE! (In most cases)
They DO back up their tools and they DO have a generous return policy. Although, that has become watered down, at least in my area.
Used to be you could buy a tool, use it, find that it wasn't for you and take it back for a full refund.
Now, most power tools only come with a 75% refund policy unless the tool is defective. And even then, you don't get the remaining 25% until they have sent it to the repair center and verified the defect.

Too many people were using the tool crib at the 'Pot as a free rental bin. Pay, use it, bring it back no questions asked, full refund.

That's LA mind you, don't know if this is a national policy.
 

·
Handle It!
Joined
·
9,588 Posts
They DO back up their tools and they DO have a generous return policy. Although, that has become watered down, at least in my area.
Used to be you could buy a tool, use it, find that it wasn't for you and take it back for a full refund.
Now, most power tools only come with a 75% refund policy unless the tool is defective. And even then, you don't get the remaining 25% until they have sent it to the repair center and verified the defect.

Too many people were using the tool crib at the 'Pot as a free rental bin. Pay, use it, bring it back no questions asked, full refund.

That's LA mind you, don't know if this is a national policy.


The only place in America that still Employs the "No Hassle Returns" is Atlanta.

H/D there is a different Animal altogether!

It is, after all, their "Home Port".
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put to good use.

Nice! Thanks guys, I used Makita all my career. From the "Stick" batteries that looked pregnant in the 12 volt model. even stuck by them thought the "square" orange and then black NI. batteries. Heck my dog is named MAKITA. (kita's the one on the left with the red ears, jacks on the right)

But battery life was always a problem with the "square" type. I still use the "stick" 12 years later on a cordless angle drill...I love that tool! had it re furbished 2 times and found a charger at the swap meet.

I used Dewalt for a short time, but people kept moving it thinking it was theirs, and one of my pet peeves is having to write my name on something or even marking it boldly, I'm so anal that most my tools are professionally engraved, try taking a Hilti to the malls jewelry store, they look at you like your crazy! only the Asian store workers would ever take my request...go figure!
 

·
Handle It!
Joined
·
9,588 Posts
I bought cordless drill and impact driver.

The batteries won't charge at all in even mild cold. If they are charged in a warm place they will work fine in the cold.

Maybe it's just lithium ion? I've never had Li batteries before...

Brand? RIDGID?
 

·
Palisade Point Const.
Joined
·
2,276 Posts
My dad has the Rigid mini 12v drill, and it works great. I used to work for a guy that had the complete set of Rigid 18v tools, and they all worked pretty well. I'm all set up with Dewalt for 18v and Bosch for the mini stuff now, and both of those treat me pretty good, so I'll stick with them, but Rigid would probably be my second choice for either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I have had my 18v set for about 4 yrs. Its not being worked everyday now but it stays with me and gets used on the farm and at the house. The circ saw is good, cant stand the saw saw but the drill has the best feel feel to me than any other cordless drill I have. That said it has been worked on many times, charger and drill mainly. It used to get used for drilling anchors in conc for toilet flanges but the the dust and heat was too much but thats hard on any drill. Just fyi, best cordless tool for me ever is the dewalt saw saw 18v and 24v.(they've been repaired also)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,177 Posts
I have a lot of ridgid tools... let me see if i can list them all

(4) 18v drills, (1) 12v drill, (1) 14.4v drill, (2) 12 v right angle impacts, (1) 14.4v impact, (1) 18v sawzall, (1) 18v jigsaw, (2) 18v circ saws, (1) 18v glue gun, corded impact, corded jigsaw, table saw, drill press, worm drive saw, 1/4 sheet sander.

I sold the 12" miter saw and stand (I did not like the saw... the stand is sweet) the original sawzall sucked bad I ran it till it died and bought a Milwaukee. I sold the thickness planer as I did not need it anymore... now I wish I had kept it just to have it. I toasted the little corded drill and the corded hammer drill sucked... I have no real clue what happened to that tool... hmmm...

I like their tools alot with the exception of the couple listed I think they are excellent tools.

The warranty is provided by Ridgid NOT HD the people who are taking their tools to HD and getting service are lucky. Dont count on that lasting forever. To me most tools are not worth bringing in for warranty repairs as something better and lighter is usually out for a great price.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top