Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Design Build
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This guy is on fire 98% of the time. Well, actually he's a fireman - but he is GCing his own home and doing as much of the work as possible. He is always on the go.

His home is next door to one of my previous projects and we would help each other out when ever circumstances warranted. I was back there today to look at the deck on my old framing project and I stopped by his place. Oh yeah - he's also getting married this month.

Check out his stairs.

Here are the treads - they will have metal "L" angle iron inset to prevent premature wearing.

These are some really solid and "cool" stairs.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I assume the i-beams coming out of the the wall cantilever.How far are they into the wall?

·
Pro
566 Posts
Nice stairs, Especially if he made it all up himself. Is he adding something to reduce the space at the risers or does the tread thickness take care of that?

I assume the i-beams coming out of the the wall cantilever.How far are they into the wall?
Jack - From what I've seen in the past, I would bet the channel at the landing is just bolted to the wall.

Bill

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I'm betting no cantilever as well.
I'd still think there'd be some bounce
on the long run?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If that steel is bolted into something solid in the wall there won't be any bounce whatsoever.

Nice look.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,719 Posts
That is probably some 12-15lb. C-channel. Very heavy duty stuff. I see he just has some temporary treads on for now right?

Would have been cool if the steel was powder coated before installation.
Ahhh...temporaries... now I see.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It looks like the lower flight don't even bear on the floor, the cardboard goes right under the stringer.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
The only way they would fly here is with plexiglass risers, unless the space between treads is less than 4" and that railing would need the same treatment to eliminate the "ladder" effect.
Very cool though, I just hope he doesn't get flamed.:thumbsup:

Reactions: mattswabb
1 - 20 of 23 Posts