Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
i'm hoping someone can give me some information about the green liquid/residue found in some installations, i have heard many rumours about this, some going so far as to say the substance is hazardous to health and may even cause cancer. i have carried out some works to one housing block in particular, and even after this block has been rewired,there are still some signs of this green liquid???, it tends to run/drip from electrical points.
i have noticed a burning sensation on my skin(espescially delicate areas like the face,transmitted from hands and fingers no doubt) after carrying out works/repairs in these dwellings.
anyway i would be grateful for any info and advice on this matter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
heavyduty said:
hi all
i'm hoping someone can give me some information about the green liquid/residue found in some installations, i have heard many rumours about this, some going so far as to say the substance is hazardous to health and may even cause cancer. i have carried out some works to one housing block in particular, and even after this block has been rewired,there are still some signs of this green liquid???, it tends to run/drip from electrical points.
i have noticed a burning sensation on my skin(espescially delicate areas like the face,transmitted from hands and fingers no doubt) after carrying out works/repairs in these dwellings.
anyway i would be grateful for any info and advice on this matter.
dont eat it, stop rubbing it on your face :cheesygri that should help.

but i have nooo idea what your talking about can you expand on green stuff, instalations, housing blocks and "carried out some works".

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The stuff that I use is yellow, Teflon based and only causes problems when heated over 3500 deg. Sorry that I can't remember the name, CRS strikes again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i dont mean any kind of cable lubricating fluid

this is a thick green liquid,rather like fairy liquid only thicker,and has an oily feel to it..........and a metallic smell

·
Registered
89 Posts
heavyduty said:
this is a thick green liquid,rather like fairy liquid only thicker,and has an oily feel to it..........and a metallic smell
not soap not lube ,,,,.... fairy liquid.....chuckle snicker.. i have no idea ... where do you see this fairy -green stuff?

now you got me curious,you gotta expand on some terms you used. HELP ME--help you .... HELP ME-- help YOU! :Thumbs: :eek: ;) :rolleyes: :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm really getting curious about this stuff.
Is this a development?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Years ago I was coming home from a weekend of debauchery at the beach with the T-tops off my '84 Firebird and a half naked beauty riding shot-gun. As I came down a ramp onto I-95 I began to smell something electrical burning. I had just installed a bunch of high end stereo equipment and immediately began to wonder if some of my work had been shoddy. I glanced at the alternator gauge and when I looked up again noticed a fine (green) mist starting to cover my windshield. The sky was clear? I looked forward to see, traveling below me on the ramp ahead, an open topped demo trailer with three huge transformers in the back. Stuff was spraying out of the trailer! I've often wondered if that liquid was anything to worry about.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Jeez, did the stuff hurt the car?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
No-but at that time in my life I was washing my car almost daily and always kept a good coat of carnuba wax on it. I never did tell the girl what I saw in front of us - thought that might spoil the evening ritual.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Ritual understood. I grew up on the beach in Ft. Laud during the 60's 70's and 80's. I 'ritualed' a lot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
there is the tar in ballast -its black. there is oil in caps -its yellow. there is a different tar in transformers buck boost and sign tf(2000 to 15000v 60ma) - its brown / black. :( i dont think there is anything in open tf i dont know?delta wye, delta blah blah etc. im not sure. but i dont think so. ahem i sit corrected -----. Transformers fall into one of two categories - dry-type or liquid-filled units. In dry-type transformers, the most common cooling medium is air (some sealed dry-type transformers use nitrogen for cooling). You typically use them indoors and up to a maximum-rated voltage of 34.5kV.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i just googled fairy liquid its-duh ta daa- dish soap. lol that sounded so .. strange. i thought it was some hip term for some electrical thingy poo. like yesterday i wanted a plastic antishort bushing for mc and three electrictions all came up with this crazy stuff; cherrys, little red thing, poppers? red heads, sheilds , OH MY GOD. cherries was the only one i would accept besides ab. my job, my way,lol. we get a little silly about the names for stuff.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Green Liquid? I think you might have been smokeing some heavyduty stuff there that day, Heavyduty.

Oh yea my advice would be to not watch the old 50s blob movie before going to work from now on.

Bob

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
My guess is Palmolive - lubin' up the conduit runs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh well,maybe it's just a phenomenom that affects UK installations only.......thanks for all your input anyway...........to be continued............lol

·
Electrical Contractor
214 Posts
Probably an oxide inhibitor such as "De Ox" or NoaLox" used for terminating aluminum wiring. Whay the heck are you getting it on your face? And if you don't know what it is whay are you touching it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts