Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some wiring in the turret today and ran into something I'm not familar with.

The electrician knows what he's doing, he dam near wired the whole place.

What I found I put on a link. Somebody please tell me if he had something in mind I'm not aware of. Because it doesn't look to good to me.

Thanks fellas,:Thumbs:
Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
What does the switch go to? I can't make out the other color to 'unknown'.
If these are outside or security lights it looks like the neutral may have been used to go to a light or motion sensor.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unknown is just a 14-2 wire, blacks on the right.

I thought about another light, but it doesn't mesh, the three way circuit begins at the three way, with power in at the bottom of the box...

I just don't know. I went ahead and changed it and turned the 14-2 into an extra light fixture, I was just wondering what he had in mind......if anything.:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bob, I was just trying to figure out why someone would route a neutral somewhere and return it.
If just a neutral was needed somewhere, why not just run a single wire?
The fact that there are two wires inclines me to believe that they go to some sort of switch.
Electricity is stupid and it doesn't matter whether you switch the load or neutral. In a simple system, it will work either way.
A switch on the neutral would control that entire circuit and override the two switches connected to it which is what led me to a motion or light sensor although they should have been installed on the line side ahead of the switch.
Maybe the guy had a rough night. I'd still be interested on where that wire run goes.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ha!.....shut down the whole three way circuit by steeling it's neutral.

That would make perfect sence if it was the christmas lighting switches, but it was the ceiling light switches, The christmas light switches are on another wall not far away. Tuff to make that mistake.......unless the 60s came back on him.

Bob

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Is it a 4-way switched circuit? Can you find three switches that control the fixture? I did my lights in the basement on a 4-way (switch at door and 2 sides of the room) but can't remember what the schematic looks like.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Did you look for the Hefner switch? Low on the wall and next to the bed. LOL
Most likely a dimmer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
the white going to the black unknown is most likly a sw leg from three way . if he had to in stall another light some where he would need to pick up the swl and a neutral from that 4sq im assume it mc or romex? 12/2 and 12/3.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
marx, the tap is from the neutral and returns to the neutral, if it's not controlling something or just providing a neutral what else could it be doing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
marx, the tap is from the neutral and returns to the neutral, if it's not controlling something or just providing a neutral what else could it be doing?
the white on the left with b and r is a sw/leg from the other 3 wayit goes into the box ties into a black unknown making blk unk a sw leg they picked up the neutral to coplete the circut. unknown w is a neutrl .

unknow w nb goes to a working fixure or was cut out and abandond. put your tester on unknown black(swleg) and turn the swich on and off. it should cut power. put a amprobe around the unknown black and see what you get when everything is on. also the white unkown is the only neutral feeding the lights i assume because im looking at the power side of the three ways.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
roger on the balance of the switching. The neutral still goes to parts unknown and returns from there. That circuit must be currently closed or nothing would work.
This is all theoretical anyway as Bob has bypassed it. I'd still like to know what was going on there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mike Finley said:
If that is a 3-way where is the other traveller that should be attached to the switch?
b and r are the travelers you can just see it cut off by the picture the white coming down with them is imo a sw/leg they passed back from the other three way and out with the neutral

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My boy came in the other day said he was at a nearby job site and learned to hang a door. I said Oh yea, tell me?

He said you set it up, bump it a crouch hair left, then a crouch hair right, then you hang the mother &%$#@#.

I said "Boy fetch me a switch!" He said "Screw you Dad, thats the electricians job."

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Marx, look at the diagram. Neutral enters the box, takes off on a tangent and re-enters the box.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Marx, look at the diagram. Neutral enters the box, takes off on a tangent and re-enters the box.
no not a neutral- the neutral enters the box at the botom w/power. goes right top and out. what you see comming back on the left is a WHITE wire coming in with the trav b/r -the white wire is not a neutral it is a switch leg- the only reason to use 12/3 b/r/w/ in this configuration is to backfeed an existing swich leg in the box -- the 12/2 on the right.

if you had a bottom fed switch box and fed to a light in the ceiling or most likely recpt down below, you would have 12/ 2 coming in the bottom 12/2 out the top -(blk swich leg) (white neutral) for a single pole config. now if you were to want to add 3 ways you could use the supply from the bottom b/w( the feed to 3 way ) , run 12/ 3 in top (black and red for travlers)and backfeed the existing 12/2 with your extra wire (the white) and tie that to your old sw leg ( the black unknown)which most likely went in a differnt direction than up say.... a split recptical that you would never know was split and switched on and off with your new 3way because you never moved the couch and chaged the plug to the other hole. hence the neutral dosent cirle in and out.

why do i think it is a split recpt because you simply would have changed the wire in the ceiling when you ran your travlers and you woud have most likely notice it if it ran the wole recptical and would have seen it.

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
The power comes in on the black wire from the bottom. it coonnects to the 3 way switch on the common screw. The black and red wire in the 3 wire are the travelers. the white wire inside the 3 wire bundle is attached to the common screw on the other 3 way switch. this becomes the switch leg. the white wire attached with the black hot coming into the bottom of the switch box is the netural. The white wire inside the 3 wire bundle is the switch leg, attached to the black wire going to the light fixture.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
What does any of this have to do with the problem? Yes, the 3 way is wired properly. The question is why does the neutral embark on such a trevail?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Bob, I was just trying to figure out why someone would route a neutral somewhere and return it.
If just a neutral was needed somewhere, why not just run a single wire?
The fact that there are two wires inclines me to believe that they go to some sort of switch.
Electricity is stupid and it doesn't matter whether you switch the load or neutral. In a simple system, it will work either way.
A switch on the neutral would control that entire circuit and override the two switches connected to it which is what led me to a motion or light sensor although they should have been installed on the line side ahead of the switch.
Maybe the guy had a rough night. I'd still be interested on where that wire run goes.
there is only oneneutral in the box it comes in with the power and out with the 'unknown white. it dosent come back in with the red and blue as you assumed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts