Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wow. I guess you save water that way. I think golf courses are experimenting with plastic grass. Doesn't the sun break down the plastic after awhile?

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. I guess you save water that way. I think golf courses are experimenting with plastic grass. Doesn't the sun break down the plastic after awhile?
It's eight years old and it looks good. I bought it because when I had sod the gardeners were afraid of my dogs, and I sure as heck wasn't going to mow it or maintain it. I think it has a few more years in it at least. We get brutal heat and sun here the color hasn't changed noticeably.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You couldn't bring yourself to mow that tiny patch of grass yourself?
Not only that, dog piss kills grass. I have better things to do on my days off. I do enjoy planting the tropical plants though. and keeping them up.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
There's a few people in England with this stuff i know. They keep posting pics of them self vacuuming the yard lol.

Whats stupid is they live across the road from one of the best turf farms in the UK.

This is the actual machine taking the turf up but it's thousands of acres of perfect grass. It's crazy to see in person. It's the perfect field without a weed on it.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
BCConstruction said:
There's a few people in England with this stuff i know. They keep posting pics of them self vacuuming the yard lol. Whats stupid is they live across the road from one of the best turf farms in the UK. This is the actual machine taking the turf up but it's thousands of acres of perfect grass. It's crazy to see in person. It's the perfect field without a weed on it.
The roofing company I use to work for has a sod field for turf roofs. When we were in high school we would pick weeds out of it for 10 bucks an hour. Nothing like 5 sq miles of perfect grass

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
The roofing company I use to work for has a sod field for turf roofs. When we were in high school we would pick weeds out of it for 10 bucks an hour. Nothing like 5 sq miles of perfect grass
My back yard is just weeds lol. I try and kill them but kill the grass and weeds grow where the grass was. i just give up now as it pisses me off too much :censored:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
if you think about it grass has no purpose but b to add a green blob to your yard.
I would like a nice green weed free yard but its a full time job. Mines currently dark green, yellow, brown, light green with onions growing out everywhere lol. Takes me 1.5hr to mow my front and back yard every 4 days and i have to walk almost 2 miles doing it. Wife wont let me buy a sit on. Says it's good for me lol

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
BCConstruction said:
My back yard is just weeds lol. I try and kill them but kill the grass and weeds grow where the grass was. i just give up now as it pisses me off too much :censored:
I have pretty good grass, but it takes effort. It's getting away from me this year though. I'm too busy.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
A friend over here has one of them irrigation systems in the front yard to stop it going yellow and burning up. He said it costs hime about $300 a month in water to keep it green all year. Plus the cost of mowing it 2x a week and lawn doctor fees. Thats about $500 a month just for a nice front yard. It's not even that big either.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A friend over here has one of them irrigation systems in the front yard to stop it going yellow and burning up. He said it costs hime about $300 a month in water to keep it green all year. Plus the cost of mowing it 2x a week and lawn doctor fees. Thats about $500 a month just for a nice front yard. It's not even that big either.
my blob cost 3g

·
Registered
732 Posts
My water bill is $42 for 3 months during the summer and about $29 for 3 months in the winter. I got rid of the back lawn in favor of a large patio and lots of plans, shrubs, a waterfall, and firepit. The front lawn is only about 2100 sqft, so its manageable, have to stay on it early to keep it from turning into crabgrass.

If My water bill was as high as AZ or CA, I would go plastic as well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have pretty good grass, but it takes effort. It's getting away from me this year though. I'm too busy.
We've got St. Augustine grass growing now and 50% of the yard is covered with it. IMHO, it's ideal because it requires very little water, and only needs cutting 3-4 times PER SUMMER, and developes a thick thatch that chokes out weeds.

Low maintenance all the way around, and it looks gorgeous.

Downside is, getting it established takes some effort, but once it takes off, it will cover the yard.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts