Woo Hoo!!! :party:

Start the party :thumbup:

Let me know how it goes, I need a new toy/tool

My 12" DW705 is getting close to retirement

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
review....

you want me to be honest.... I have read 100's of threads about someone wanting opinions about tools.... I'll be honest... does it really mean anything to you or anyone else for that matter......what I think or bass/TBF/TCLEV/Warrner/LEo///Lone// etc...etc..etc...... or anyone else here thinks..

not being a pric... honestly.. the ultimate choice is yours.... here is how I feel about tools.... I buy them because "I" like them... not because of someone else's opinions... It;s like everything else in life... everyone has got there own opinions.. what I will tell you is... check it out for yourself.... I did.. and I am SOLD! :thumbup: but thats me...;) I have tools in my shop that are over 100 years old... OLIVER...:thumbup: my baby's:thumbup:
meanwhile guys are chasing thin sheet metal CRAP IMO ... but thats me.. ;) I could go on & on about this... but I know better;)
B.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I buy them because "I" like them... not because of someone else's opinions..
I agree

Some people have great luck with Yellow and some with Blue

It's all about what feels right and works good for YOU....

I also think the use of the tool determines what opinion you have of it.

Someone who uses a Dremel for detail work will swear by them.
A drywaller using a Dremel for cutting sheetrock day after day burns them out and hates them.......

So the Newest, Latest and Greatest Slider will be liked by some and not by others.

Just my opinion.....:laughing:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I wont buy any power tool without review. You should never buy anything with value without doing it. It brings out the flaws of any product. If you buy it and like it then great but buying blind is not the way to buy. If 90% of reviews show a product with issues then I won't buy it even if I really like it. So yes reviews do matter a lot.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
same as blond or brunette... its all what you prefeer, i like em all though.... oh... yer talking about mitre saws... my bad

·
Registered
44 Posts
looks like it has to many moving joints to be or reman accurate for repeated cuts. im definatly not brand or color loyal but its dang hard to beat a dewalt miter saw i do the research and buy the brand that truely is best in the line of tool im looking for i own all brands bosch is a good brand but that design looks sketchy to me.:whistling

·
Wasting Time
144 Posts
you want me to be honest.... I have read 100's of threads about someone wanting opinions about tools.... I'll be honest... does it really mean anything to you or anyone else for that matter......what I think or bass/TBF/TCLEV/Warrner/LEo///Lone// etc...etc..etc...... or anyone else here thinks..

not being a pric... honestly.. the ultimate choice is yours.... here is how I feel about tools.... I buy them because "I" like them... not because of someone else's opinions... It;s like everything else in life... everyone has got there own opinions.. what I will tell you is... check it out for yourself.... I did.. and I am SOLD! :thumbup: but thats me...;) I have tools in my shop that are over 100 years old... OLIVER...:thumbup: my baby's:thumbup:
meanwhile guys are chasing thin sheet metal CRAP IMO ... but thats me.. ;) I could go on & on about this... but I know better;)
B.
I realize the ultimate choice is mine, but I do value reviews...of course that depends on who's reviewing it. I actually have bought tools based upon recommendations from people on CT. I bought a Bosch planer because of Bass' recommendation, and it was a wise choice.

I've read your posts in the past and from what I've read you seem to know what you're talking about. I'm in the market for another 12 SCMS (or glider) and haven't seen the axial glide in person, so having someone who is buying one and has nothing to gain or lose by providing a good review could very well help me make my final decision.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
looks like it has to many moving joints to be or reman accurate for repeated cuts. im definatly not brand or color loyal but its dang hard to beat a dewalt miter saw i do the research and buy the brand that truely is best in the line of tool im looking for i own all brands bosch is a good brand but that design looks sketchy to me.:whistling

People think moving joints and think slop....this may be true if it were not for all the joints having sealed ball bearings. I highly doubt those joints will wear out in my lifetime. Think about how fast the motor on these things spins and for how long....and yet those ball bearings stay tight in these harsh conditions. At the rate of speed and amount of actual use, the ball bearings in the pivots are going to take a long time to kill. Ball bearings are great, they all but eliminate friction and the tolorance they can allow is super tight.

Ever take apart your slider? Notice that only one rail has a bearing and the other rail just slides on bushings (brass?). Now which do you think would be better, brass bushings rubbing on a steel rail over and over, or sealed ball bearings press fit into castings and onto pivots?

Could I be wrong? Sure, but I am confident in my logic so far.

Anyway, I walked into the job today and started bull ****ting with the GC...his DeWalt DW708 crapped out last night in his shop...after years of use it died. I asked him if he liked my Bosch 5412, which has been on MANY of his jobs and he said he did, asked if it was for sale. I explained to him about this new saw and said I could part ways with my 5412 cheaply. ($250 bucks for him). To which he said if it's not cost effective to fix his DW, which he has grown partial too, he will take me up on that offer.

I will prob order mine in a week or two.

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
Brian,

I understand what you are saying but hearing negatives or problems with a tool might help people from making a mistake.

I do realize the bottom line is what we like in the end as it's our coin.

I just spend a boat load on a router setup for my trailer but it's something I've wanted for a long time. I did a lot of research on it I value the reviews and posts by others to help me decide the best to buy for my setup.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I'll be looking for that saw this weekend.:thumbup:

I can't wait a year or more to see how the axial glide mechanism holds up, so I may as well be the Guinea Pig.:laughing:

If I like the layout and the feel of the saw, it'll be mine.

I still have the Type 1 DeWalt 12" compound miter saw. Bought it as soon as it was locally available. Everyone I knew said I was nuts. "What do you need such a big saw for?":blink: Mine is still kicking and all the naysayers have had them as well.:laughing: Now they ask me how I can do without the slide compound.:whistling

·
Registered
17,271 Posts

B.

you always say your not being a pric:shifty:

1 - 20 of 229 Posts