Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a quick topic for those of you who think the DOT won't have an impact on your life.

In Oklahoma, they are now deciding to enforce the "commercial" rule....if your vehicle has signage, and it is obvious that it is used in a commercial endeavor, you can be subject to the idea that a CDL is needed to drive the vehicle....especially if your combination weight is more then 10,000 lbs. Matter of fact, it is left up the officer making contact with you what the rule will be and how he/she interprets the said rules...not what common sense or your own attorney may say.

Case in point: I was driving to a job site in my 1 ton flatbed work truck, not pulling a trailer, and not being pulled over for a traffic stop. I rolled into a DOT check point.....now, since I was not pulling a trailer, I was thinking self, I don't have to stop, I will drive right on through like all the cars and pickups.... WRONG. I was waved over to wait my turn for the endoscopy....and here is where this one went:

Officer: May I see your license and insurance, inspection report, log book, and fuel receipts?

Me: Here is my license and insurance card for this truck, and why am I being stopped?

Officer: You have commercial signage on your truck...you use this truck in business?

Me: I do, but I am not hauling anything.

Officer: Wait here. He takes my tag number, heads off to his car...after 10 minutes he returns and asks "why are you running a private tag and registration in this truck"?

Me: I am not a commercial hauler so I don't need a commercial tag, according to my accountant. I am a sole proprietor, I own this vehicle as an individual, and thus, I register it privately and expense my mileage.

Officer: You have a gooseneck ball on the truck, we can see you pull trailers.

Me: I am not hauling anything for hire.

Officer: The law says you cannot haul anything without being in compliance with the law, and since you have a CDL class A license, you obviously should know this:

Me: I am not hauling for hire, or for commerce:

Officer: Ok...I have had enough of this conversation. You are commercial in our eyes, and thus, you need a commercial tag, and follow the rules like everyone else. We enforce the laws for your safety.

Me: I am following the law, and This truck does not exceed 10k, and according to the IRS, I am doing exactly as I am supposed to with my vehicle tag...there is no law about me having my construction company logo's on my truck.

Officer: I can write you up today, but I am going to let you slide, so get your stuff together. Here is what the law says big boy...you will either remove your logo's, or you will add a DOT number, (which your license says you are associated with already), you will tag this vehicle as a commercial vehicle, you will register a vehicle weight, you will get an inspection on this vehicle, and you will carry an inspection report form filled out daily, with all fuel receipts, and mileage reports, plus a log book if you are over 90 miles from your place of origin. PERIOD. You will carry all safety equipment, spare light bulbs, and if you insist you do not haul for hire, then you will also install signs above your DOT number that say "not for hire". :rolleyes: Have a nice day, and he walked away.

Now........we know he would have written me up, but he wasn't quite sure when I used the IRS line and my vehicle expensing, plus private tag. But wow.....what will be next?

So after reading as much online as I can locate, the laws are going to be strictly enforced, to raise revenue, and insure safety. Maybe we can all drive Toyota Prius's and carry our tools in the trunk? :censored:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
First of all, you don't need a CDL in any case unless:
1) The combo is greater than 26K and includes a trailer greater than 10K
or
2) The power unit is greater than 26K

Cops and truck drivers writ large are woefully uninformed about who is and is not required to have a CDL.

I'm sure you know all of this

·
Registered
818 Posts
The DOT is your worst nightmare.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
My father was pulled for having LLC in the lettering. For that: log book, Medical Card ect was required.

No lLC or INC and no problem. He did get a estimate request from the same DOT guy.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, you don't need a CDL in any case unless:
1) The combo is greater than 26K and includes a trailer greater than 10K
or
2) The power unit is greater than 26K

Cops and truck drivers writ large are woefully uninformed about who is and is not required to have a CDL.

I'm sure you know all of this
The rules have been changing. Combination weight is now 10k, and single vehicles with hydraulic brakes are still 26k, unless it is for hire or a company vehicle.

You are correct in a way..the rules you believe are correct used to be correct, but no longer, and fighting to clarify will get you a ticket or worse. By strict definition, a commercial license is required if you are being paid to drive a company vehicle....if you are hourly and the boss tells you to drive to the job site, technically, a commercial license is required.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Leads me to my next question.. why do they care if you are using farm fuel?
Road tax excluded, in Ontario it's coloured bright pink and they will put a dip stick into your tank or inspect your fuel lines if you have clear low pressure tubing.

We use to call it "running koolaid" when you fed your road vehicle a little of the farm fuel. :whistling

I believe it's around a 4-5k fine + the calculated cost difference for every mile on your vehicle.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
Road tax excluded, in Ontario it's coloured bright pink and they will put a dip stick into your tank or inspect your fuel lines if you have clear low pressure tubing.

We use to call it "running koolaid" when you fed your road vehicle a little of the farm fuel. :whistling

I believe it's around a 4-5k fine + the calculated cost difference for every mile on your vehicle.
They really stick it in your ****ter then. Damn. :sad:

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,066 Posts
We call it Red Diesel. here.

CHP will put a dipstick in your tank, especially if you have a transfer tank in the bed.

$10,000 fine for cheating on that one. :eek:

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,066 Posts
J, they been requiring a CA number here for quite some time, if you have anything but a pickup bed on it. Flatbed, service body, anything like that will trigger it.

The logbook and commercial license is horses#!t, though.

Just talking to a kid who has a 3/4 ton flatbed, and CHP ticketed him for not having a log book. Judge threw it out. :thumbsup:

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
We don't see too many stations in Toronto with dyed diesel, once you get to the outer limits you will see more.

I was only ever stopped once and asked for fuel receipts. In Ontario it's fuel and tobacco in the same department, I gave the guy my fuel receipt and my pack of smokes so he could see the tax label on it as well

1 - 20 of 65 Posts