Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse the length of this post but I want to explain the situation so that I may get some sort of definitive answer and I thank you all in advance. I am a single woman, living alone and have no idea about plumbing.
This month the city worked on a water line across the street from my house. They dug up the street in a direct line to my home. That day I was leaving on a plane, turned on my shower and no water. I was angry with them for cutting off the water (I assumed) without informing me first. Turns out I was wrong. My neighbor happened to stop in and when I mentioned the water she assured me that she had water and was, at that moment, washing clothes. I knocked on all 5 doors in the complex, all had water and had not experienced an interruption in service.
I took my shower at her home, had to leave for the airport and called the city to advise them that they needed to fix the problem as my home had no water when I left. I returned to my home a week later. No water. Called the city, had the guy come out. He took out the meter in the street, cleaned it out, got water and came in to say all was well. Nope, I still had no water. He then said that I needed a plumber and it would cost.
I called the city. They took no responsibility until I had all my neighbors assure them that my problem happened at the exact moment they were digging. They admitted perhaps there was a 'surge' of debris into my home and sent their authorized plumber to check out all of my lines. My water was brown, pressure was way low and sediment is coming from all the faucets and shower heads etc.
They agreed to clean out screens in faucets, change filters in water purifier and make sure toilets are working properly BUT they can not, and will not, assure me that the pipe (which is under the house, under a cement slab) is not filled or clogged and in the future, maybe a few months down the road, won't unclog, let the debris loose and screw up all the appliances again. The plumber told me he has no way of getting to the pipe.
OK, I am not a plumber, just a lowly homeowner but it sounds logical to me that if the pipe under my home broke they would HAVE to access it. I agree with him that I don't want men digging in my living room but, couldn't a thing like roto rooter (for lack of a better word) get in that incoming water pipe and either break up the clog if there is one or make sure there isn't one? Am I expecting too much, worrying too much and being a pain to the plumber?
If there is sediment, debris, whatever in the pipe will it work itself loose and is it harmless? I usually trust a tradesman that comes to my home but this man (although he has his own company)works on claims for the city and it's the city that I do NOT trust. Thanks in advance for either telling me to lighten up or assuring me that I have cause for concern. Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Post script to my msg for help

Sorry, have to add this. After the plumber came to clean screens etc I did regain water pressure with the exception of the cold water from the kitchen sink. I think that's because the filters in my water purifier all clogged. Does this mean the problem is solved and there are no dirtballs living in the pipes? Also, one of my neighbors said I may need a new hot water heater. Is that possible/necessary? Thanks again, LINDA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To Hatchet

hatchet said:
You shouldn't need a new water heater but may need to clean it out (if they didn't do it). It should be done every year if possible... which reminds me. haha.
Thanks, I'll make sure that they flush it and fill it again. I couldn't imagine why I'd need a new water heater and wondered if this guy knew what he was doing. If it's not broken, why fix it? Thanks Hatchet....and clean yours out too! Javalinda

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I think I'm going to end up replacing mine with a gas fired instant water heater. I've built homes where they have requested them but never seen one functioning - other than final testing of the home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
your gona love this... but the city has no responsibility in your matter.In our town we(the plumbers) cannot even shut the water off @ the stop box.Case and point, I had the water dept turn off the water in the street, to make repairs ordered by the Water Department (valves were not completly shuting off ) so they could change the meter in the basement.As they shut the water off in the street for me, water came boiling out of the ground!!! A supervisor arrived and advised the home owner he was going to have to pay for the repairs.(bi-laws states that a home owner is pay for repairs after the stopbox to the house) As they dug to make repairs, a nosey neighbor took some pictures because of a sidewalk having to be removed. He took a picture that clearly shows the break was from the main to the stopbox. Mr homeowner showed the picture to the water department. They claimed the photo was altered, and he would have to pay $1346.12. It took an attorney and 3 days in court to prove his case. He could only sue for the amount due($1346.12) he was unable to sue for damages, court costs and attorney fees. UNREAL !!!!! Some new laws should be written here, because the old saying "cant fight city hall" really applies here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depending on the quality of your water, I.E. water hardness and the type of pipes you have, I.E. copper, plastic etc. You may still have dirt in your pipes. If there are any fittings underground and the hard water gets to them the corrosion my hold dirt particles that may show up later. i doubt it though. If the flushed the lines , which it sounds like they did you shouldn't have any more dirt. It is a good idea to also have them dump your water heater as hatchet points out. Another thing to watch out for is that they may have flushed your lines but if the particles are large enough they can and will jam in the seats inside your faucet and they may need to be disassembled or repaired. Which may be why you have no cold water in your kitchen. For the pipe under your house. You (or the city plumber) would notice a large decrese in pressure from the street to the house. And this would be indicative of a larger than normal usage, so watch your water bills. Lastly if you still think your pipe is broken you can hire a plumber with a pipe camera which can inspect your pipes without tearing up your living room. Your problems are common for a city system so keep on the city and don't let them get lazy. Remember the plumber contracting for the city gets paid regardless if there for an hour or all day so make sure your satisfied before he takes off. good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts