Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so...... this was a new first for me.

I'm sure your all shaking your head at me but I don't care. figured I'd either entertain ya'll or give you something to think about.

I jumped in to this job because of the potential for it go places yet the pay wasn't what I normally charge and I knew it wasn't the best of situations due to the revolving door of people working there, the slowness of the project, and numerous other red flags.

I've jumped into bad deals before turned the project around and became great friends with the contractors. So you really never know what'll happen.

well I got a check on monday and I was shorted from what I invoiced for and the agreed hourly rate upon employment.

I played stupid and called the office the super ect and asked to fix the problem and was real nice and innocent. well I got the big run around that he said she said. So I packed up for the day at lunch time (went to another job). Told the super to tell the contractor to meet me there at 8 and we'll fix the money problem and maybe I can see past everything and get back to work.

Well I have zero tolerance for bs and people trying to mess with me. So the conversation immediatly turned into me calling him all sorts of bad names which I can't print here and accusing him of all sorts of misdeeds. All the while he's doing the same to me. (minus the bad names but lots of accusations)

So he tells me to get off the job or he'll call the cops. I calm down a bit, tell him to give me 15 min. But I can't keep quiet that long so my mouth starts running and I get in his face and yell. I tell him that he's that type of f#$ott and he should call the police

Well sure enough five minutes later the cops show up. I've calmed down by that point and I'm laughing. So the cops are wondering what the heck happened.

The cops do their thing, id, talk etc. I ask why they are there and they tell me that I was threatening him but now he can't really pinpoint anything I said or did to threaten him. I ask the cop why he didn't run his id the cop says I already have all his stuff from a couple weeks ago.

I've been laughing all day about this. We live in a very very small town and it won't take more than a week for me to drag his name across the county. The super even asked me if i'd go easy on the contractor because he knows the damage I can do.

I LOVE THIS JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
contractor
15 Posts
so...... this was a new first for me.

I'm sure your all shaking your head at me but I don't care. figured I'd either entertain ya'll or give you something to think about.

I jumped in to this job because of the potential for it go places yet the pay wasn't what I normally charge and I knew it wasn't the best of situations due to the revolving door of people working there, the slowness of the project, and numerous other red flags.

I've jumped into bad deals before turned the project around and became great friends with the contractors. So you really never know what'll happen.

well I got a check on monday and I was shorted from what I invoiced for and the agreed hourly rate upon employment.

I played stupid and called the office the super ect and asked to fix the problem and was real nice and innocent. well I got the big run around that he said she said. So I packed up for the day at lunch time (went to another job). Told the super to tell the contractor to meet me there at 8 and we'll fix the money problem and maybe I can see past everything and get back to work.

Well I have zero tolerance for bs and people trying to mess with me. So the conversation immediatly turned into me calling him all sorts of bad names which I can't print here and accusing him of all sorts of misdeeds. All the while he's doing the same to me. (minus the bad names but lots of accusations)

So he tells me to get off the job or he'll call the cops. I calm down a bit, tell him to give me 15 min. But I can't keep quiet that long so my mouth starts running and I get in his face and yell. I tell him that he's that type of f#$ott and he should call the police

Well sure enough five minutes later the cops show up. I've calmed down by that point and I'm laughing. So the cops are wondering what the heck happened.

The cops do their thing, id, talk etc. I ask why they are there and they tell me that I was threatening him but now he can't really pinpoint anything I said or did to threaten him. I ask the cop why he didn't run his id the cop says I already have all his stuff from a couple weeks ago.

I've been laughing all day about this. We live in a very very small town and it won't take more than a week for me to drag his name across the county. The super even asked me if i'd go easy on the contractor because he knows the damage I can do.

"No good deed goes unpunished"
It never fails that when we try to help someone out the one who gets hurt is us guys doing the work. They try to use us up and throw us away very short term thinking instead of the contractor building a good working relationship and having someone they can count on and trust. I have had that happen once or twice myself. Good luck your better off writing it off it will cost you more in laywere fees then they owe you and thats what they are counting on.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Hey Fred, care to PM me his name? I have a small 2 day job up in your area. I figured since I was there I would see if I could scare up a few more jobs.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts

You should care and learn from your mistakes. It is entertaining but there is nothing to think about, it is amature stuff, if there is a red flag you walk away especialy if on top of all that you undercharging.

Patience my Friend, in business you must have patience and pride when you're faced with problems and must deal with them. Running your YAP not gonna get you anywhere and it will not solve anything,the only thing you acomplish is you gonna get hurt and I'm sure you know that.

Coffee and Donuts always work best.

I've been laughing all day about this.

I'm glad it worked out and you got a kick out of it, I hope you got paid at the same time :thumbsup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
If the super pays you what you are do, you could think of keeping quiet, but I would spread the word and let him dig his way out of his own hole. He's hurting all of us that try to pay and treat subs fairly and probably lowballed the job too knowing he could rip you off to make up for it:censored:.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
don't we alawys get ourseleves into this kind of thing when we ''invoice for hourly employment''
either your a sub contractor or employee,ya can't be both

1 - 6 of 6 Posts