Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These mobile homes have been a constant for my company for many years. Here's the start of one. As you can see they are removing the old now and bringing in a new one. The porch will have glass panel rails. The property will over look a lake.

Here's the old home being removed

To be continued!

·
Registered
551 Posts
If they can afford to hire YOU to build a deck. Why the hell are they putting a mobile home on the lakefront property?

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they can afford to hire YOU to build a deck. Why the hell are they putting a mobile home on the lakefront property?
Great questions tote! My price gets buried into the loan, so it's not as painful for them. I'm considered an upgrade or upsale.

The Lake is manmade and owned by the mobile home Park.

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I might add, these homes are 200,000 dollars that's very cheap.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
That's a good gig Mike.

Trailer house Folks over here go though a boiler room sales cage, by the time they get out they have a home, a 20 % mortgage, great monthly payments, never a chance to pay it off, and a ecno deck I put in all rolled into one out the door.

But it's fast, they have a place to go the next day. It must be worth it Tornado alley is littered with them when the storms come. Just in time to do the whole thing over again.

Simi steady work but depressing as hell.

J.

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good gig Mike.

Trailer house Folks over here go though a boiler room sales cage, by the time they get out they have a home, a 20 % mortgage, great monthly payments, never a chance to pay it off, and a ecno deck I put in all rolled into one out the door.

But it's fast, they have a place to go the next day. It must be worth it Tornado alley is littered with them when the storms come. Just in time to do the whole thing over again.

Simi steady work but depressing as hell.

J.
I've always wondered about these things in your area. I guess they all are fully aware of the dangers though. What's your method of tieing them to the ground? do you use pier jacks?

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
It is really sad Mike.

Out in Anadarko the " Law " is ambiguous at best. The guys do some half hearted tie downs but really the structures should not even be there. It happens over and over again and they go back over and over again.

Same with Moore Ok. The whole town has been destroyed 4 times since I have been back over here and they keep rebuilding in the same spot in the same way right down to the gable roofs.

Dumb as a can of rocks.

J.

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is really sad Mike.

Out in Anadarko the " Law " is ambiguous at best. The guys do some half hearted tie downs but really the structures should not even be there. It happens over and over again and they go back over and over again.

Same with Moore Ok. The whole town has been destroyed 4 times since I have been back over here and they keep rebuilding in the same spot in the same way right down to the gable roofs.

Dumb as a can of rocks.

J.
That's the definition of insanity.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What's a ******* divorce and a tornado have in common? Someone's bound to lose a trailer house!:laughing:

I used to have a sweet gig with a manufacture where every time they would sell a new home to come to my area I would put in footings and a simple concrete frost wall. It took about 2 days and I made a thousand bucks profit on each one. It was good work while it lasted. Around here, code said to use these special HUD approved tie downs that were kinda like a strap tie you see on semi's, only much smaller. A length of-I want to say 16g-metal strap would loop over the frame and ratchet up tight. (these things would be embedded in the footers). I suppose they would do a real good job of keeping the frame attached to the ground.:laughing:

Reactions: Calidecks

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL! Good one.

I was wondering how they kept the lanterns on while driving it down the road, Or, are them turn signals? :laughing:
What are you 6 years old. The person that owns this home is an elderly person and it's probably all they can afford.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts