Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Priced a re mod over the last few days. moderate size. For rental in our college community.

Shot some preliminary figures, customer said looks good but wants me to bend a little on deposit, so I said "shoot me a figure" because some material is on site.

Did some work for his brother a few months ago, good customer. Talking to his brother on the phone just now, his brother says "Get everything in writing, my brother can be a bear to deal with"

RUTT ROWE :eek:

Input?

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'd follow the bro's advice, who knows the guy better?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ALWAYS at least get a work order signed.

But I was actually thinking about canceling the deal before contracts are signed. I don't really need the money right now and I definitely don't need the pain. Plus if something of this size does get painful, I will need the money.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If it's not making you feel warm and fuzzy, bug out.
I'd just tell the guy that while you were breaking out the est. that you realised that you are not prepared to tackle a job this size right now. Maybe in April, 2007. LOL

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'm sorry Mr. Customer I can not be flexible on the deposite. The deposite is required for the purchasing of your materials permit etc... If I don't get the full depsoite then I will have to make two material purchases which will raise your costs since I will have to pay two shipping fees instead of one... Plus all the head ache on book keeping and paperwork cashing tow checks... Oh that would be such a headache. So just write me a check for the full depsoite ammount and I can get this thing scheduled for ya.

I recently just did what you are suggesting, by cancelling a contract from a PIA customer before it got signed. Sometimes ya just gotta go with your gutt. I learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Had a guy call me a few months back, had got my name from somewhere and wanted to know could I build him a deck? Of course, and we started talking, eventually it turns out that the guy wants a screened-in, roofed, heated addition to his house, well, ok I can do that too. He asked to see some pictures of my work "so he could see if I was worth that much money". I actually e-mailed him some photos but had the BAD feeling 'bout this guy. Then a couple months later I get a call from some designer I've never met who had referred me to him that he was suing her over the plans-$500!!! She was calling to warn me.

Sorry, long post---Go with your gut! Rich.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard of some one who plans to Sue, but never some one who Sues a plan, however, once I did plan on a sue but she let me down.

Bob

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Did some work for his brother a few months ago, good customer. Talking to his brother on the phone just now, his brother says "Get everything in writing, my brother can be a bear to deal with"

RUTT ROWE :eek:

Input?

Bob
Double the deposit
Increase the quote by 15%

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Double the deposit
Increase the quote by 15%

Good idea Mike, or else just bug out.