Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best small router. I have used a couple small Porter Cable routers the last few years and now they need to be replaced. I don't know the model #'s but one fits in the palm of my hand and the base is like 3'' round, all plastic. Bearings are shot to hell in both. I like two units because I hate changing bits and most jobs you run a couple profiles.
I saw a dewalt router but it has a square base, any others out there you all like ?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Porter Cable is my choice. Why not fix the ones you got? They are built to be repaired/reconditioned. (unlike most other co. out there)

I like the Bosch lam. trimmer almost as much as the PC.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've actually been checking out trim routers myself. I really like the ridgid. Their power tools seem to be getting up there, quality wise, with all of the other big names. Just bought one of their portable saws and it is beautiful. Plus they have a lifetime warranty on their products as long as you send in the stuff to register it. You can pick up one of their routers at H.D. for around $100 and I think it comes with a couple different bases. It's next on my list to pick up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I liked the Colt, but that was back when it was a company issue and all i was responsible for was the on/off switch.

Now that I'm the "company" and I'm supposed to do the issuing, I went Makita. No complaints on either one really.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i have the makita and the bosch.. the makita is nice but the depth adjust is getting close to being worn out.. the bosch has tons of power for a little guy but the depth slips

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
Don't know if the sale is the same in the US, but Home Depot Canada is offering a Ridgid Laminate Trimmer with a Ridgid 1/4 sheet sander for $119 right now. Online only.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
PC and wanting to get a couple of Makitas. I got too many posts in the TBA for this month.:mad:Next month though I willbe on a clean slate.:clap:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Rigid is the only one that the bit is in the centerof the base
I own 2 Makitas, a Porter Cable, and the Bosche Colt
None of them are in the center.
I made a new base for one of the Makitas, to get it in the center.
The Makitas are my favorites, the Bosch is easier to change bits though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Seems everyone I've worked with and all the shops I've worked in they've used Porter Cable... and I've gotta say, I never understood the hype.

In a fit of rebellion (while visiting my brother with the only local tool store a Home Depot) I picked up a Ridgid. Love it * or I did at least. Everything is so easy to adjust, it's quieter... but with minimal hours on it it already sounds like broken glass rumbling around once the motor kicks in.

Not gonna last. I guess there's a reason all those guys had their ancient, cumbersome Porter Cables still around.

·
Registered
17,162 Posts
I have had quite a few palm routers, and my favorite is the ridgid, I'm really liking the new makita too
had the bosch colt and hated it
I like my Ridgid:blink:

Don't know if the sale is the same in the US, but Home Depot Canada is offering a Ridgid Laminate Trimmer with a Ridgid 1/4 sheet sander for $119 right now. Online only.
I picked up that deal over a year ago at HD.com for 99 bucks:thumbsup:

Reactions: Brutus

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
i have the makita and the bosch.. the makita is nice but the depth adjust is getting close to being worn out.. the bosch has tons of power for a little guy but the depth slips
are you saying the rack/pinion is wearing out or the locking lever?

the fine depth adjust on the ridgid is just perfect and with some fine adjustment on the cam locking nut, the slip is no more

I currently have 2 of the rigids and 1 of the new mak's both are a pleasure to use

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Seems everyone I've worked with and all the shops I've worked in they've used Porter Cable... and I've gotta say, I never understood the hype.

In a fit of rebellion (while visiting my brother with the only local tool store a Home Depot) I picked up a Ridgid. Love it * or I did at least. Everything is so easy to adjust, it's quieter... but with minimal hours on it it already sounds like broken glass rumbling around once the motor kicks in.

Not gonna last. I guess there's a reason all those guys had their ancient, cumbersome Porter Cables still around.
PCs just work for the long haul. Bases tend to be bigger than all the others...Ridgid imho sucks for that reason. The base adjustment on the PC is not ideal. Personally I like the weight and balance of the PCs. LOL Watching others use a PC and different manfactuers the PC creates less face buzz and over cuts...yes it's operator error but the PC seems to just work better.

LOL If you use the PC daily for their intended use; trimming laminate and light work they'll last for many years. T slot cutting, radius edging solid surface .... they'll go about a year and one half before the bearings wear out. 'Fairly easy' to replace worn parts on the PCs...all others seem to be not worth the effort.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
The op has two pc's that need replaced...

I agree though, they aren't really meant to be used like a full sized router

1 - 20 of 43 Posts