Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to homo depot and they looked at me funny when I asked them for some carpet tacks and they never heard of them. No suprise for being a home improvement store they hire the dumbest mfer's possible and don't carry most of the stuff I have ever needed.

Any how I haven't called a flooring store yet. But I want to be sure I ask the right questions. I will be doing some Shaw engineered flooring in the hall so I am tucking the the carpet at the transition point. Some fruitcake at Lowe or HD told me to use a z strip LOL. I bought it from along with some carpet at a local supplier. I knew when I asked for it and I got that look I had been told some bs info again from the we are dumb as box stores.

So end this long post with simple question just to dig on these so called home improvement stores. What kind of nail do I use? And will a rem store have them?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I still have a small tin of 16 gauge brads that I robbed from a carpet guy who was doing the same thing you're doing in my home. He used them to tuck the carpet edge, and I used them to hang a few pictures. :)

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mdshunk said:
I still have a small tin of 16 gauge brads that I robbed from a carpet guy who was doing the same thing you're doing in my home. He used them to tuck the carpet edge, and I used them to hang a few pictures. :)
Thanks I actually have some in my garage. :cheesygri I got some of my info for carpet laying from msn. The showed some nails with a cupped washer or some thing but if that what works I doing it.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Hey... I ain't no carpet expert. Just passing along what was done for me. There might be something better. A bonafide flooring guy might respond that 16ga brads are a shortcut that jerkoff carpet layers use. I had the edges of stairway carpeting tucked in a rehab that I'm doing right now, and they used zillions of really narrow crown staples that came out of an electric staple gun. It did leave little tracks in the carpet pile, so I wasn't especially impressed with the finished job. I have to balance that with the fact that the installer was especially cheap, so I got what I paid for. In a few months, it will be someone else's baby to rock.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mdshunk said:
Hey... I ain't no carpet expert. Just passing along what was done for me. There might be something better. A bonafide flooring guy might respond that 16ga brads are a shortcut that jerkoff carpet layers use. I had the edges of stairway carpeting tucked in a rehab that I'm doing right now, and they used zillions of really narrow crown staples that came out of an electric staple gun. It did leave little tracks in the carpet pile, so I wasn't especially impressed with the finished job. I have to balance that with the fact that the installer was especially cheap, so I got what I paid for. In a few months, it will be someone else's baby to rock.
I paid 300 dollars to do my one room and didn't want to pay a pro installer. Well I wanted to save some money. It's a small room with one small seam I put in the middle of the closet door.
When I do the other rooms after I lay the versalock I might if I can afford it pay a pro to do the living room. I am not so confident in my seaming ability.
Tomorrow I am going to call a GC I used to work for to see if he can contact a big carpet installing company to get me some overstock carpet from condo jobs. I may get it for free or a deeply discounted price. Either way it works for me.

Thanks again. :Thumbs:

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I found my carpet sub by accident. He was going through the drive through at a hamburger joint with carpet sticking out of the back of his ratty van. I ran up to his window, introduced myself and got his number quick. He subs for a few carpet shops in my area. Now he subs for me too when I need him. He doesn't care who pays him, as long as he gets paid. I just cut out the middle man. I like to keep my eyes peeled for guys that look like they sub for other guys, but aren't formally "in business".

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I have to do what you are doing all the time doing bathroom remodels that the floor has carpeting in leading to the next room.

I use two tack strips and an electric narrow gauge stapler, (Expensive MFer!), it works like a charm on shag, and you have to work the pile a little bit on something not shag like. But its the only way I have found that will hold the carpet tight against a Shulter transition strip. My carpet sub gave me a 30 minute lesson after I begged him to show me how he did it so well. As soon as he whipped out the stapler I hit my forehead and said DOH!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts