Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just having a discussion with a contractor buddy of mine and this subject came up.

I consider myself a fairly competent carpenter who can pretty much do any job required in building or repairing a house. I've done every aspect of construction. Some I'm good at, some I don't phvck op too bad.

So - On your OWN home, what was the best thing(s) you paid someone else to do for you?

For me, it was 2 things -

1) New roof. I sat in my lawn chair, drinking beer, watching them boys hustle. I was cracking myself up trying to act like an ******* homeowner,but I just couldn't do it. I've been using the same roofer for 12+ years. I ended up helping them clean up (after I filled a cooler full of beer for quitting time).

2) Masonry/Block work. I had a foundation failure and my mason set 100+ blocks in a short day. I built a small retaining wall (+-20 blocks) and it took me ALL (long) day.

I'm a very picky person and I don't like other people doing the things I know I can do myself on my own home.

Are there times that you just don't want to do something and would rather pay someone else?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'd always rather someone else do it than myself.

But pecuniary restrictions can get in the way.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,219 Posts
Cutting down a 90' oak tree 10' from the house. The guy went as high as he could with his bucket truck, then climbed out and spiked his way up higher before starting to cut.

I enjoyed watching that.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Finished basement as my mother was having health problems and it was time to move her in, wife was ok with it too, lol. Started in feb ( a few years ago) and when it came to mudding and taping, I can do it but not nearly as fast as efficient as the guy I always sub out too, he gave me a really good deal because of all the work I "feed" him and he did his normal exceptional job!

I was able to get other jobs rocking and rolling while he took care of it all and darn quick. He is fricken good! Whenever my customers ask about my mudding and taping guy and is he any good, I tell them that he is the only one that I let work on my own house and everyone loves that. 2000 sq ft of no mixing and sanding....so worth it.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Everything I do on my own property, I weigh my time & my hourly rate against what it's gonna cost to have someone who makes their day to day living doing it. If I can make more money practicing my own trade, I'll hire it done.

I won't mess with concrete, always hire it done.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,111 Posts
Taking down big trees from the top down. I've never used a harness, etc, which is unsafe, but not unacceptably unsafe to me. Once you get too old and banged up to be safe up high, it's time to stand back and watch.

·
Super Moderator
28,872 Posts
Only things have been paint, always, and lawn work. Worth every penny to hire out the yard to me. No allergys and I can spend that time doing work I like doing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
+ 2 on the huge tree in the yard ,it was dead and perched to fall on my neighbors garage, let the neighbors kid do the roof ,he did an OK job ....

·
Registered
797 Posts
I was cracking myself up trying to act like an ******* homeowner,but I just couldn't do it. I've been using the same roofer for 12+ years. I ended up helping them clean up (after I filled a cooler full of beer for quitting time).
:laughing: :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
28,872 Posts
I rented a lift and took down two huge oaks a couple years ago on my grandpas place. Doing a huge oak that died IN my FILs deck, deck was built around it in two weekends. I like cutting down trees.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Drywall and plumbing.

I'm sure me and the ol lady would have broken up if we had to drywall our place.

I tried my hand at doing the dwv system, went to test it, and the whole house turned into a shower. Had a plumber from a job I was on come and fix it all for me. Would have been cheaper just to have him do it from the start.

·
Registered
551 Posts
-Insulation. I don't mind doing it, but they do the job for the same price I get materials for.
-Concrete flatwork for the most part.
-Solid surface
-gutters

·
Registered
Remodel
31,111 Posts
-Insulation. I don't mind doing it, but they do the job for the same price I get materials for.
-Concrete flatwork for the most part.
-Solid surface
-gutters
I'll agree except for blown attic insulation around here. Most subs are $3-500 more expensive than materials for an average one evening job blowing attics.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I won't mess with concrete, always hire it done.
I forgot about the slab I had poured when I re-did our basement. 17 yards and a pump truck was out of my league. I did, however, mix and pour 170 bags (3 1/2 pallets) of Quikrete for the other various things. THAT sucked, even using my mixer :laughing:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Replaced a cheap, cheesy skylight with a real one.

The skylight was out in the shed when I bought the place. I just had to drop $130-some for the flashing kit that was missing.

Went out on a Saturday morning, dragged everything up to the roof, pulled up a couple dozen shingles, laid in the new skylight, wove everything back together........ and enjoy looking up and seeing the snow NOT melting.

I also replaced the carpet in the dining room with wood. I cannot fathom carpet in a dining room.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts