Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is in your opinion the best approach to sell a job?

on addition / conversion work

in better times i have always just spec'd for how i have thought the job should be or what the customer has said they wanted without trying to sell a better job or any extras and was not too worried whether i won or lost the job
in these tougher times i am loosing a lot work to lower bidders without really getting chance to sell myself, so i am now thinking maybe i would be better to spec everything at the bottom end to get their attention with the price then try to upgrade as much as i can when i talk to the customer after they have had a few prices and try to add on extras like wood floors, vanity's etc

i need to get the maximum out of every oportunity so i need to re-think my approach.

what are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Believe it or not, I am basically selling myself and the quality of work I do. I tell the customer right away that if they are looking for a cheap job, they phoned the wrong guy.

This saves everyone a lot of time. I don't quote against the cheapos.

But I also convince the client that if they hire me, I am at all times looking after their best interests. This does not necessarily mean spending more of their money. Depends on what they want/need.

The main point I guess is to establish trust and confidence between you and the client. Then they will refer you to others, and after a time, the work just keeps coming to you. And whoever does call, they already know you are'nt cheap, but do quality work.

·
Registered
850 Posts
in these tougher times i am loosing a lot work to lower bidders without really getting chance to sell myself, so i am now thinking maybe i would be better to spec everything at the bottom end to get their attention with the price then try to upgrade as much as i can when i talk to the customer after they have had a few prices and try to add on extras like wood floors, vanity's etc
You are IMHO, absolutely right in taking this approach. Although customers will say that they are looking for top quality, excellent service, etc, nothing will attract their attention like a good price. There is a fine line to be trodden here, of course, and when you are writing your basic spec you will want to be honest and include (and make sure they realise it) basic necessities such as clean up and other things that unscrupulous contractors might 'forget' to mention.

As you say, times are tough, and everybody is hungry. And the competition isn't your only worry, in fact the worst competition comes from Mr" Let's-leave-it-til-next-year".

·
Registered
86 Posts
what is in your opinion the best approach to sell a job?

on addition / conversion work

in better times i have always just spec'd for how i have thought the job should be or what the customer has said they wanted without trying to sell a better job or any extras and was not too worried whether i won or lost the job

i need to get the maximum out of every oportunity so i need to re-think my approach.

what are your thoughts on this?

Make a friend first, 2) win there trust 3) Folks buy from people they trust and like. 4) Sell the install 5) Drive your customer service 6) Please and Thank you. By these steps I'm not competing against every Tom, Dick and Hair there is trying to sell cheap. Just remember your there because they have a desire, now all you have to do is create the want, need and budget

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Here's an example of what I mean about looking after the clients best interests.

This summer we did a major bsmt. reno for a client. (I posted pics of this)

Right now we are re-trimming and painting the upstairs of their home, and re-doing a powder room for them.

They asked me about completely gutting their ensuite bath. I gave them a ball park figure to do that. ( note-they only want high end products here)

Well, they have a baby on the way, money is a concern, so then they asked me 'what if we only did the walk in shower' and did the rest later.

I told them no, wait till next year and do it all at once, this is more cost effective for you.

Yes, I turned away some work, but keep the client, because I am thinking of what is best for them, not me.

This is how you build your rep, and in the process get good referrals, leading to new clients who also want your honest, quality work. They will pay for quality. We don't work cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts