1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
My uncle has the C155. My cousin who lives across the street also has a sears home, but didn't see a picture of hers.

Couple of years ago I put 1,100' of flooring in it and a kitchen. Had a real funky corner in it to build the cabs around. It had all the wiring and plumbing ran through it.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even as far south-east as Florida.

I really enjoy these old houses, :thumbsup:

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sears Homes

Hey - thanks for posting a link to my site on Sears Homes! It's a topic that's near and dear to my heart. I've written six books on this topic and it makes me ***VERY*** happy to see contractors paying attention to Sears Homes.

More than 90% of the people living in these homes don't realize what they have. There are 70,000 of these Sears Homes in the country, and they're a fascinating piece of American history.

They were shipped in 30,000 pieces of house (via rail) and came with a 75-page instruction book, and a promise that a "man of average abilities" could have the house assembled and ready for occupancy in 90 days.

Today, the only way to find these homes is literally one by one. There are 370 designs of Sears Homes and when I decided that Sears Homes would be my LIFE (and they are), I memorized each of those 370 designs, so I can now identify them by site.

Thanks again for the post. Keep a keen eye out for those numbers on the lumber! And let me know if you find a Sears Magnolia!

Rose Thornton
searshomes.org

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey - thanks for posting a link to my site on Sears Homes! It's a topic that's near and dear to my heart. I've written six books on this topic and it makes me ***VERY*** happy to see contractors paying attention to Sears Homes.

More than 90% of the people living in these homes don't realize what they have. There are 70,000 of these Sears Homes in the country, and they're a fascinating piece of American history.

They were shipped in 30,000 pieces of house (via rail) and came with a 75-page instruction book, and a promise that a "man of average abilities" could have the house assembled and ready for occupancy in 90 days.

Today, the only way to find these homes is literally one by one. There are 370 designs of Sears Homes and when I decided that Sears Homes would be my LIFE (and they are), I memorized each of those 370 designs, so I can now identify them by site.

Thanks again for the post. Keep a keen eye out for those numbers on the lumber! And let me know if you find a Sears Magnolia!

Rose Thornton
searshomes.org

Very Cool, Very Cool

I like the true craftsmanship, and the whole idea of it being a kit, delivered, and ready for assembly. :thumbsup:

Its unfortunate it was so short lived. :sad: Beautiful Designs.

I am sure you would be a very valuable member of this forum as a Architectural Historian.

You could at times be a very valuable asset to this community, I am sure.

You should do an Introduction at the top of the board (its a dedicated page), and tell us more about yourself.

Read the rules good, and you'll fit in good here. :thumbsup:

I am sure your a "wealth of wisdom".

I hope to see you around here in the future. :)

James Crow

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunetly, you have idiots out there who would do this!

Which leaves me wondering, How many of the 70,000 do think are still around?

I also wonder if all the kits got put up, or if a few got bought, and never assembled?

Just things I wonder, call me strange. :laughing:

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
hmm interesting, the ones shown are much nicer than my sears home, mines tiny. id say close to 1/2 the homes in the neighborhood are made up of these. many of them have been completely redone with several having 2nd story additons going on as we speak

i redid the roof for those noticing the rough shape its in.... since the plan is to switch it to a rental im not too too concerned with the siding but it does need to be done

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sears Homes

Kirk,

What year was your little house built? Sears stopped selling kit homes in 1940. In fact, they sold *very* few after 1935, for several reasons (such as The Great Depression).

Most Sears Homes were sold from 1919 (post-ww1) to 1930.

Interestingly, about 3/4ths of the people who *think* they have a Sears kit home are wrong.

Often, they DO have a kit home, but it's a kit home from another company, such as Montgomery Ward, Aladdin, Gordon Van Tine, Lewis Manufacturing, Harris Brothers, Pacific Ready Cut Homes, etc. "Sears Homes" has become the generic term for all kit homes, but they weren't the biggest: Aladdin was.

Aladdin sold kit homes from 1906-1981. Sears sold about 70,000 kit homes and Aladdin sold more than 75,000. Here in Norfolk (where I live), we have mostly Aladdin Kit Homes and not-so-many Sears Homes.

BTW, thanks for the kind words. I just registered and would love to post here a'plenty, but I have pretty strong opinions about new vinyl siding on old pretty houses.

If I were queen of the world (and it shouldn't be long now), I'd have a LOT to say about substitute sidings on vintage homes.

Figured I'd ramp up slowly and start with the happy-happy posts. :)

Rose

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
There are a bunch of the enameled steel ones around here and the block ones with red mortar.
Those are Lustron Homes.
There are several web sites about
them.

I've worked on one Sears home
for sure, and a couple of "undetermined"
kit houses.
Weird seeing all of the lumber
labeled like that.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Lustrons

Yes, Lustron Homes are very different from Sears kit homes. Lustrons were made with 20-gage 2x2-foot steel panels, coated with a porcelain enamel finish.

There were fewer than 3000 built (1948-1950), and then due largely to politics, Lustrons bit the dust.

Sears Homes (unlike Lustrons) are not prefab houses. They're kit homes. And Sears Homes are made out of wood. :)

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
See guys I don't always cause trouble,...:whistling

:laughing:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I was trying to capture some of that
old style when I designed my home
a few years back.

Unfortunately,my time away from work
was starting to cost me,so I never finished
adding some of the other architectural details
I wanted to include like,the gabled end bracing
and a stone chimney and stone porch en-closer.

I did however have some period correct built-ins and columns
that were sitting in my barn for 40 years,from
which I copied for the porch posts.

I guess my faux pas was covering it in vinyl siding?:whistling

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts