Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there are a thousand uses for a 5 gallon bucket.

I saw a This Old House article where people wrote in to tell their uses for it.
One guy used them for slow drip watering for plants.
Another guy used his to carry and store an air hose. He drilled a hole near the bottom of the bucket and put one end of the hose through. The other end coiled out of the top. Looked like it would work well.

So, what do you use a 5 gallon bucket for?

Besides as a emergency Port-o-Potty :eek:

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
A chair when I need one out in the garage.
A garbage can.
A bongo drum when I am bored. Sometimes I will look for a few and really have a concert!

·
Registered
11 Posts
toilet paper, towel and dry storage (with lid) when rafting rivers
tool bucket (Bucket Boss's R for yungsters) U have to be able to empty ourt tool bucket to sit on and install locksets (love lockset day!!!)
shrimp bucket (for the vertically challenged)
put lunches in and send up to siding installers on scaffold

·
Registered
10 Posts
`Concrete' choices for 5 gal. buckets

Buckets make concrete work do-able or at least sufferable. Ha! We store our dry white cement in them, sand, tote water, mix grout or anything else in them, use them to dip our 9" rollers for applying Curing and or sealing compounds to the slabs, hang out trowels and bury our tools in them, sit on them, hang them on trowel machine handles wqhen re-finishing for rain damage the same day.
We catch rain drips from bad or partially completed roofs in them, and measure Calcium Chloride in them when necessary on cold winter days. don-ohio :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why didn't we think of that?

That's a good one,Glasshouse! I'll hafta' remember that one next time we're rubbin' out poured walls. don-ohio :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh........and another one!

I can't tell you how many cubic yards of `crete we've had to bucket into tight spots in basements and bad places to fill block webs and even bucketing in the Grace Pool base for swimmin' pools.
But these are uses I'd rather have avoided at all costs:rolleyes: . Talk about `labor intensive'! Whew! don-ohio :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
They make real nice sump pump pits, even comes with its own cover.
And yes they sre just the right height for all of those out of reach places.

Bernie

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
French drain for your water softener. Takes some modifications.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Glasshouse, I guess that you don't deal with OSHA much. LOL!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've used buckets to carry out demo'd concrete rubble, stucco, etc.
Makes it easier on sweeping out the truck bed.

On a side note, they're unless the buckets were originally purchased wth paint in them, they're pretty expensive on their own at places like Home Depot.
I've found that the cheapest place to get them is a Walmart! Same bucket, except that it's plain.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Going back to the impromptu outhouse, works great for the right woman in a small boat. Line it with a heavy duty garbage bag first. She will be the 'right woman' in time. You can also doll it up with a toilet seat with a few cleats underneath so that it doesn't slide around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Disappointed

I would of rather had the whole post taken out rather than your chopping and additions. Very uncool.
As I said in my reply. Had the advertising rules been in the registration section, I would have seen them and not wrote the stuff that I did.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts