Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They should have majored in plumbing.:laughing:

To find the most useless degrees college students can get with their four years and hundreds of thousands of dollars, we wanted to know which majors offer not only the fewest job opportunities, but those that tend to pay the least.

The Daily Beast considered the following data points, weighted equally, with each degree’s numbers compared to the average for each category, to achieve a categorical comparison that accounts for differentiation from the mean.

Data are from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and Payscale:

• Starting and mid-career salary levels, using the profession most associated with the degree.
• The expected change in the total number of jobs from 2008-2018.
• The expected percentage change in available jobs from 2008-2018.

For informational purposes, in this accompanying gallery, we provide the number of degrees awarded for 2008-2009, the most recent academic year available from the National Center for Education Statistics.
1. Journalism
2. Horticulture
3. Agriculture
4. Advertisting
5. Fashion Design
6. Child/Family Studies
7. Music
8. Mechanical Engineering Technology
9. Chemistry
10. Nutrition
11. Human Resources
12. Theater
13. Art History
14. Photography
15. Literature
16. Art
17. Fine Arts
18. Psychology
19. English
20. Animal Science

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/04/27/useless-college-majors-from-journalism-to-psychology-to-theater.html

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
They should have majored in plumbing.:laughing:

1. Journalism
2. Horticulture
3. Agriculture
4. Advertisting
5. Fashion Design
6. Child/Family Studies
7. Music
8. Mechanical Engineering Technology
9. Chemistry
10. Nutrition
11. Human Resources
12. Theater
13. Art History
14. Photography
15. Literature
16. Art
17. Fine Arts
18. Psychology
19. English
20. Animal Science

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/04/27/useless-college-majors-from-journalism-to-psychology-to-theater.html
I have #12. And not using it...

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I don't get it... If you look at their 'gallery of data', most pay OK, and are forecast to grow in need..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Really agriculture? I have a couple cousins in Ohio who have degrees in Ag and have farms that make crazy money. And they do way better than their neighbours that don't have degrees.

·
Hack
3,008 Posts
#2...Horticulture

D'oh!
I've got that and haven't used it for at least 6 years.

Edit: I have a certificate, not a degree, didn't read all of the title.
But I do realize that it doesn't make its uselessness any less perceived.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
I have many friends in post secondary schooling working on degrees that i can only shake my head at. Supply and demand people.. teachers for example there can only be so many.. yet people keep going to school to become a teacher.. Lots of supply.. limited demand.
Whatever, I will just bang some nails and collect my small cheque :laughing: at the end of the week while you pay out lots of money for a degree that has no guarantee of a job. Solid.
I have really thought about the whole university degree thing, and don't get me wrong, education and qualified professionals are important. But god damn, are people my age really that ignorant and naive about the idea of finding a real job that will always be needed.. I don't get it, but thats ok.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I'm number 1!!!

Photojournalism after EE didn't work out. Glad I did it. Grew up, met most of my best friends, learned to write well enough my clients regularly tell me it's why they pick me.

Now I pay more in taxes than they make.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The formal education is not the key, but the exposure to other areas and being able look at the big picture.

Fortunately, I went to a school for a Civil Engineering degree (5 year program) that required a number of non-technical credits to be selected by the student. that kept everyone one from getting lost in the technology and do things that interested them.

The degree in a certain field is really not that important if you figure out how to put things together from surrounding information and situations.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
To what are they attributing these degrees as being the worst? Are they basing it on the amount of money these careers generally pay?

I ask because I am looking at Fine arts, music, and theater and I think about how boring life would be without people in those major areas of study. We enjoy concerts, movies, stage plays, etc. which all came into existence as a result of someone getting a degree in one of those areas.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts