Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The era of the impact driver is over. They were the greatest thing when cordless drills weren't very good and easy-to-strip Phillips screws were all we used.

I don't use mine any more except very rarely for a huge lag. With quality non-Phillips screws, ledger locks, etc, what's the point? They are loud and slow. Sure they are lighter but you're holding them longer, and they make a racket.

With my Milwaukee Fuel drill I can zip in some pretty impressive lags 3 times as fast as an impact. For cabinet work and other light to medium stuff, I could get a 12V drill if I got tired of hefting the 18v.

Let the onslaught begin.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Well just send me all the ones you no longer want....:whistling:laughing:
Remember when we drilled a pilot hole and used a yankee?

If you're under say 40 maybe....uh what's a yankee?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
With a push drill...:thumbsup:

Jaws will tell us a Yankee is a guy from up north...:laughing::laughing:
These youngsters don't know how good they have it. I was working with one a few months ago on a deck and we were using my bow wrench for the deck boards.....real simple device two doggs clamp the joist with a strike of your hammer and you pull the lever back....straighten the board...he says they ought to make one that uses hydraulics...."well if the technology is there" he says......see what I mean? Carpenters are becoming lazier

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
I know I will just about kill someone who uses an impact driver to drill a 3/4" hole with a paddle bit. The sound is horrible....

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I know I will just about kill someone who uses an impact driver to drill a 3/4" hole with a paddle bit. The sound is horrible....
Yeah I see it.............

This is the age of what I like to call "the home depot cordless screw gun contractor"

Leave the hammer at home you don't need it

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Imagine the look on a guys face if he got sent to trim out a job with NO power tools...:laughing::laughing:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Imagine the look on a guys face if he got sent to trim out a job with NO power tools...:laughing::laughing:
Hand saw miter box and coping saw. I did it as late as the 1990's when I subbed for a small remodeling co that would often send me to multiple locations in a day with just a few pieces of trim in each.

Now they have cordless chop saws and even lightweight corded ones with 7 1/4" blades

Reactions: griz

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
griz said:
Sounds like a good reason to go home...

Haven't done too much but using a miter box is lots different than a miter saw. Taking just a hair off isn't quite as easy...

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
I'd like to try trimming out a place without power tools. I'm still only employed and my boss would kill me if I didn't show up with power tools. There's a few odds and ends that I still use hand tools for. At least in our apprenticeships up here we are required to learn on hand planes, drill augers, chisels and rules. It's a mark off for every half millimetre a project is out. No one ever gets 100%.

As for impact drivers, I like them. They have their uses. If I need to drill and drive at the same time I'll have a driver and impact out so I'm not always switching bits.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Don't get me wrong some of these tools are the best things that ever happened to me especially now that I'm getting older....no wait a minute...I'm already old

I think one of the nicest things is making the tools lighter weight. Nothing like a 18 lb worm drive to take a few inches off of you in one place and put it in another

Reactions: griz

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Don't get me wrong some of these tools are the best things that ever happened to me especially now that I'm getting older....no wait a minute...I'm already old

I think one of the nicest things is making the tools lighter weight. Nothing like a 18 lb worm drive to take a few inches off of you in one place and put it in another
Absolutely correct....:thumbsup:

The modern day tools definitely ease the toll on a guys body.

Sure was good times back then though....:thumbsup:

Especially learning from an old Carpenter...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Golden view said:
The era of the impact driver is over. They were the greatest thing when cordless drills weren't very good and easy-to-strip Phillips screws were all we used.

I don't use mine any more except very rarely for a huge lag. With quality non-Phillips screws, ledger locks, etc, what's the point? They are loud and slow. Sure they are lighter but you're holding them longer, and they make a racket.

With my Milwaukee Fuel drill I can zip in some pretty impressive lags 3 times as fast as an impact. For cabinet work and other light to medium stuff, I could get a 12V drill if I got tired of hefting the 18v.

Let the onslaught begin.
There's still not one cordless drill on the market that has anywhere near the TQ of even a cheap impact. There's many a time a drill just will not have the power to remove or put in a fixing. They also put a lot less stress on the fixings your using which means less sheared and stripped out heads.

Plus dont forget how easy to control one handed.

I do use my CXS a lot but the impact will still be one of my most used drivers.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts