Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Morning, neighbor!"

It's getting old. The neighbors with too much time on their hands that pump you for advice like you're a family member. Most conversations lead back to their house. They ponder solutions endlessly, how I would do it, etc., ask me if I would do it (of course)...then sometimes, eventually....hire somebody else to do it....weeks or months later...."Oh, you seemed too busy." Then they come right back for more advice like nothing happened. I am getting short on words for a few of them right about now. I have come to view these conversations equally as being a good neighbor and also investing time in potential work, not just idle chit-chat that drags on.

And if I do seem as if I'm in a hurry when I'm loading the van, maybe I do have someplace to be....or don't want to talk about the same issue and offer the same advice/solution for the 10th time.

Harumpff!

....thanks!

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
"Morning, neighbor!"

It's getting old. The neighbors with too much time on their hands that pump you for advice like you're a family member. Most conversations lead back to their house. They ponder solutions endlessly, how I would do it, etc., ask me if I would do it (of course)...then sometimes, eventually....hire somebody else to do it....weeks or months later...."Oh, you seemed too busy." Then they come right back for more advice like nothing happened. I am getting short on words for a few of them right about now. I have come to view these conversations equally as being a good neighbor and also investing time in potential work, not just idle chit-chat that drags on.

And if I do seem as if I'm in a hurry when I'm loading the van, maybe I do have someplace to be....or don't want to talk about the same issue and offer the same advice/solution for the 10th time.

....thanks!
I hear you, I got one in my back yard and every time he telling me he wants me to do this and that, he finds some hack to do it and every time he gets screwed, and then back to were we started :laughing:

One nice thing about this its a Live reality show :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Custom
13,770 Posts
"Like YOU said when you hired the OTHER contractor after I gave you my time and advice on what I would do... I am too busy right now to talk"... :whistling

Have me over for a beer and a steak dinner when we can relax if you want more freebie advice... :thumbsup:

At least get SOMETHING out of it if it is an ongoing thing.... :laughing:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
A get a manageable amount of this and it has led to some referrals so I haven't minded so far. If they are pushy and won't let you go I could see it being a pain in the ass, otherwise I think it's just par for the course. I would probably ask a lawyer or accountant neighbor a question from time to time, but I certainly wouldn't corner or pester them.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
A get a manageable amount of this and it has led to some referrals so I haven't minded so far. If they are pushy and won't let you go I could see it being a pain in the ass, otherwise I think it's just par for the course. I would probably ask a lawyer or accountant neighbor a question from time to time, but I certainly wouldn't corner or pester them.
Yes... There are takers and givers in the world.... happens alot in my wife's RE business also....

I'm mostly lucky.... my neighbors all seem to return favors (mostly).

Do have one neighbor (single lady) who always seems to need/expect some help. I had to explain nicely several times that I was busy... and everything has been good since.

·
Registered
568 Posts
A friend of mine is great for this. He is doing a complete gut remodel of his bathroom - leaving him, his wife, and daughter using the toilet and open shower with a floor drain in the basement. He decided to do it himself because the price I gave him was "astronomical!". He has been working on it for almost 4 months now and calls me at least twice a week for advice.

·
Registered
Custom
13,770 Posts
A friend of mine is great for this. He is doing a complete gut remodel of his bathroom - leaving him, his wife, and daughter using the toilet and open shower with a floor drain in the basement. He decided to do it himself because the price I gave him was "astronomical!". He has been working on it for almost 4 months now and calls me at least twice a week for advice.
That's borderline insulting... I'd tell him, I hear there's this internet-thingy for DIY's who can't afford to have a pro do it right for them that's full of answers... I only mention this because you hit your limit for freebie advice... :whistling

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, I can relate. But if he's your friend, it might be less headache for you to get it done with him in the off hours. Then again, the concept of what one gives up elsewhere (opportunity cost) is hard for many to grasp...that is, until we ask them to rearrange their schedule a bit.

·
Registered
568 Posts
MarkJames said:
it might be less headache for you to get it done with him in the off hours..
I had the same idea....boy was I wrong. I went over two weeks ago to help him lay the new subfloor; with his "help" it took two hours to lay 2 1/2 sheets. He kept arguing over everything - didn't want to use pl, wanted to use 2" drywall screws instead of nails.........

No more offers of assistance from me.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
For the true PITA people, glance at it and immediately offer to do it for an astronomical price. Pull out a quote sheet and fill it in: "Fix sticky window - $2500". They'll want details, but don't give them: "Don't worry about the details. I'll make it right. Just sign here. If your checkbook's handy I can start tomorrow morning." Make them say no to you. They won't bother you again.

For the people who are respectful of my time and want my advice occasionally, I'm willing to talk. Why not? I enjoy solving problems, and don't need to get paid for it every time.

·
Punching above his weight
12,698 Posts
When I was younger I lived with my grandmother in suburbia. Everyone on her street was like this. Got really old.

Any time I was struggling with something somebody would saunter over and waste my time. Especially when working on a car.

"Wow, you should take that to a garage."

You should go back in your house and continue to be bored and never learn anything.

·
Registered
346 Posts
lol, some funny stories here...

I happen to be the youngest guy in the neighborhood...by about 20 years. so I get this ALL the time. and they all know now, after a couple years of training them, that I will take care of any thing they need. I have a set "neighbor" rate of $30/hr+materials, $100 minimum for taking me away from my family and time I could be working on my house/cars. And any bigger jobs I still discount a bit being almost no drive time to work....And they all know that they need to save up projects to make it worth both our time.

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
I think of this a blessing, I find it too awkward to work for my neighbors. So I don't. Once you do work for family, friends and neighbors you will be warranting it for life.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I think of this a blessing, be use I find it too awkward to work for my neighbors. So I don't. Once you do work for family, friends and neighbors you will be warranting it for life.
That's really true when you flip homes in your own local. I'm always friends with the buyer....

I walk the property with them pointing out what I did, what I didn't, considerations for them.... full disclosure somewhat insulates that issue from me.

But I still go back and will fix something (whether my error/oversight or not)... and say sure, as a friend, I can't really warrent a 20-30 year old home I did not build.

They all have understood, often get a thank-you bottle of scotch or my prize Stilletto recently.

Part of the issue is solved in that I won't sell to people I don't like. (I get personel contact in the sales transaction as my wife is the RE agent.)

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,309 Posts
I've had neighbors ask for advice, which I happily deliver for free. Of course, they usually do the opposite of what I recommended. :laughing:

Oddly enough, when one of them hires me to do a job, he invariably pays more than I ask for.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I usually debone my deer and cut the head off with my sawzall in my driveway for everyone to see, so nobody asks me to do anything. :thumbup:

Kidding aside, my wife experiences this more than i do. She does furniture restoration and does a phenomenal job. She has friends always calling for advice on how to do what she does. At first she was kind enough to share a little bit of her technique, but then it got out of hand., especially with one friend who she isn't really close with.

I kept telling her to tell them they can give her a piece of furniture to do, or they can take her entry level class were she teaches the basics on it for $65. Im all for helping people, but i would never keep pestering my friend who is a photographer asking her to teach me how to take great pictures. I would go take some classes and pay someone, or pay my friend if they were willing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts