Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is how my last 7 days have gone. Last Monday I go to work, hit the switch on my Sullivan Palatek compressor and I get the dreaded click click click. Throw the trickle charger on, still nothing. Ok...pull the starter, jump it...nothing. Drop it off Tuesday, got a rebuilt starter by Thursday, throw it back on, starter engages, engine won't spin. Call SP and talk to John Bailey. Sounding like an "air end" rebuild is needed on a 1 1/2 yr old machine with 1100 hrs on it. Apparently the screw is seized for unknown reasons until they open it up. Call the local Sullivan dealer, visit with them, estimate $8k for an air end installed, later Bailey looked it up and it may be warrantied. Wow does that not sit well with me. So I email 3 people at MMLJ, and Bailey and basically politely ask what the heck is up with this. Guess how many emails I got from MMLJ????? ZERO Not a single one saying sorry to hear about this, not one offering any explanation, not one single piece of advice or news good bad or otherwise. Really? I spent $36K with you in March of 2012 and you don't have time to say anything about the product you sell and how I'm down for at least 3 weeks with no income??? Bailey bent over backwards and assisted me. I did get a bill Friday from MMLJ stamped "Past Due" which is funny because I've ordered stuff but haven't ever gotten an invoice from you guys, now I'm Past Due lol. Ya I'll drop that check in the mail right away since I'm making so much money with a machine that's dead.

I know its a Sullivan machine and not an MMLJ machine, but its an MMLJ sale that I use to live off of. And the Past Due invoice is for various repairs and one pallet of glass. Because of those parts/repairs that I ordered through MMLJ I was down for 11 days...and when you charge $***.xx per hour and miss out on 88 hrs....really...who owes who here?! I know I know, price of doing business.

If anyone's shopping for a machine, get ahold of me, I'll give you some advice.
MMLJ wants money....they don't want to help, not even an email to say ANYTHING

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Ohh I know your Pain all to well this year
My Ingersoll has had many break downs
Mine ran with no air building- drive coupling
Air- oil filter - on # 3 this year so far
Starter
Turbo- $2000.
Turbo oil line
Gauge cluster that hold all gauges- plastic shroud broke cause plastic was weak
Radiator split cause bad craftsmanship building it

All most parts with Ingersoll, they own the pat on it so you have to buy it through a dealer.

I work on diesels, but this year I have learned to do almost all of it myself

And the dealer I bought it from, well let's just say they told me it's bad luck

My unit was bought with 800 and now has 2000
And it's a 2008

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow SD that sounds really bad what you have experienced with MMLJ. I saw the you tube vídeos they up loaded and thought what a lot of CR€&&! You can not remove the paint of a car un 45 min, that is BS. (Unless the car was stripped before and only painted with a water based coat!! By the way, why do you buy the glass from them?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well MMLJ has taken the leg work of dealing with Sullivan on the problem and warranty potential. Kuddos and thank you VERY much guys. My previous post was written with quite a bit of anxiety over a week ago, Rhonda has taken the bull by the horns!

In their defense, I'm quite satisfied with their product and the end result on the variety of projects I blast. There just always seems to be a gremlin here and there that takes the wind out of my sails at the worst possible time!

For those of you starting out....make blasting a 2nd job for the first few years until you get ramped up. I've spent many hours with bankers and business educated people. Takes several years to get a business off the ground. Now with almost 2 years under my belt I'm looking for a 2nd job, consistent income. I have added a big Trinco blast cabinet and compressor to my operation, and a part time employee.

My biggest advice. Is have a reserve for operating capital. Have money for the gremlins, the down times, the delays in the cash flow. You can work your tail off but if no one comes in and picks up their stuff and writes a check, doesn't do you any good when bills are due.

·
Kelly
257 Posts
I also have a MMLJ do you know why the compressor went out mine has lot less hours on it I noticed a few things while using it. The inlet hose got lose and almost came off right where it goes into the rotary screw compressor which would have sucked in a lot of old media that was inside thing. My exhaust system fell apart cheap welded junk. I had to pull out the mig welder and weld the flange back on the exhaust pipe where it mounts to the welder.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
So I see I got a local starting up with a dustless blasting unit,It's the green one that you dump water in
I wonder how it's going to work this winter in 15 degree weather

Guess I got to get off my a$$ this spring and get with the water end of my business

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7 weeks my machine was down. Mostly due in part to a small business trying to get a spot in the shop that is usually used for big deep pocket businesses. That's a whole nother rant and rave.

MMLJ on the other hand, their reassuring words must have gotten lost in the holiday shuffle. According to my shop they called ONCE to check progress and try to resolve the issue. Once in 7 weeks....thanks. Guess who got stuck with the bill after 7 weeks, guess who got a 2nd job in 7 weeks since their primary source of income was down? Guess how many times Sullivan got back to me with troubleshooting assistance or advice or anything? NONE.

Funny how MMLJ talked all the time when I was shopping for a machine and looking to spend money. When I needed help I had to go to them, I had to email and call and wait for answers, if you want to call em answers.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Problem with these types of companies just like ones in other trades love you to death during the time of making a sale but once the sale is complete they move on to someone else leaving you behind to fend for yourself. I see it way too often. That is why I like dealing with industry companies with long ties such as Clemco and Shmidt. They have been around for a long time and are trusted in the industry. These other guys are just trying to reinvent the wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts