Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put up a celing in a living room and was thinking that texturing it would be the easiest finishing solution as opposed to sanding it flat... am i correct??.. What would be the easiest way to texture it? .. i've put up a few ceilings in the past and looking back they looked pretty amature..Any ideas would be appreciated.. Thanks

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I just put up a celing in a living room and was thinking that texturing it would be the easiest finishing solution as opposed to sanding it flat... am i correct??.. What would be the easiest way to texture it? .. i've put up a few ceilings in the past and looking back they looked pretty amature..Any ideas would be appreciated.. Thanks
Texturing is always easier than raising your arms above your head and sanding away while getting dust poured on your face and eyes.
That buring sensation in your arms and back is not something too many people get used to.
Texturing is also good at hiding flaws on the ceiling...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess im really not familiar with how to apply these ideas/techniques.. if you could be a bit more technical, i would greatly appreciate it.. thanks so much for your time.

·
Professional Painter
1,306 Posts
I guess im really not familiar with how to apply these ideas/techniques.. if you could be a bit more technical, i would greatly appreciate it.. thanks so much for your time.
texture requires a gun and hopper...you spray it...it's messy as hell and I'd opt not to do it...

ceilings are fine with a good dust mask, some open windows, and some elbow grease :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Paintguy...realize that if a poster is asking the questions listed on this type of thread...he/she needs help based on his/her ability level.

Ceilings show everything. They show the experienced tapers from the newbies and rookies.

If a poster is asking obvious rookie questions (Should I try to make it smooth or try to texture it?) ... I am not going to tell them to sand and get it smooth.

... When was the last time you saw a rookie create a perfectly smooth flawlessly finished ceiling? (Picture a sun-lit main room)

In this case the poster is asking for what is going to be the best advice for their skill level ... and what will create the best results...for them....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Atlantic.. yes .. i agree with you.. i dont want to use the hopper and gun..any other ideas???

·
Professional Painter
1,306 Posts
fast...they make a roll on texture as well

have you researched texture on the web? you'll see more of what we're talking about

PWG...sorry man, I know you and wallpaper are tight, lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
mix up the all purpose mud, not the light weight, pretty thin, use a thick paint roller and roll the celing like your painting it. Roll one way then cross roll it. Get a texture brush at any hardware store put it on the end of a handle and slap the celing using a back and forth method.

·
Registered
157 Posts
roll-stomp knockdown

take a bucket of green label and add a few pans of water to it.
take a paint roller and roll it on the ceiling evenly-go quick
now back roll-going "against the grain" spreding it out thin and even
take your stomp brush and tap in randomly very quickly
take a 5 minute break
take a knock down blaDE(NOT a KNIFE) and knock it down very lightly
:thumbsup:

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Here, our standard ceiling texture is Brocade. It's done with a padded hod.

There is no way to do a decent texture without experience. You can't read a description an make it look right. That would be just as difficult as reading a description of tape and float then properly finishing.

Around here, if you didn't texture your house would be "unfinished" It's the standard.

Texture doesn't hide crappy finishing. Texturing a 2000 sq ft house takes about 3 man days, maybe 4, so it doesn't really save time either. You still have to float and sand. Any ridges at floated edges will show through. Little pits and bubble holes will probably be hidden. After texturing, walls become a bigger issue than ceilings. The ceiling texture breaks the flat plane pretty well but the wall texture shows its own consistency (or lack thereof) and the flaws in the walls.

·
Registered
157 Posts
doesn't cover bad finishing??

My friend a roll stomp knockdown would cover paper taped seams.
Are you kidding? I've done restorations where I had a paint flaking ceiling with crappy patch work done.......me and the boys went in.....rolled on some 90 minute easy sand, stomped it and knocked it down. The Investor thought we put new drywall in. As far as 2000 sq ft. That take 1/2 to spray and 1/2 day power sand. If you are roll stomping with a knockdown a 2000sq ft should only take 2 guys a day right? Just curious how you do it. 2 guys roll out an entire garage walls and all in under 2 hours 2 1/2 car garages. roll stomp on ceiling and rolled out on walls:jester:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My friend a roll stomp knockdown would cover paper taped seams.
Are you kidding? I've done restorations where I had a paint flaking ceiling with crappy patch work done.......me and the boys went in.....rolled on some 90 minute easy sand, stomped it and knocked it down. The Investor thought we put new drywall in. As far as 2000 sq ft. That take 1/2 to spray and 1/2 day power sand. If you are roll stomping with a knockdown a 2000sq ft should only take 2 guys a day right? Just curious how you do it. 2 guys roll out an entire garage walls and all in under 2 hours 2 1/2 car garages. roll stomp on ceiling and rolled out on walls:jester:
I will have to agree with King.....Properly applied Texture really does hide the biggest nightmares...

·
Registered
157 Posts
He might have been thinking of a different texture

I can see a spray texture not covering...but anything rolled on seems to cover anything. Once I was doing some work on a bi-level home. And downstairs had concrete block about 4 course high running the perimeter of the whole room. I rolled some 90 minute easy sand and stomped and knocked it down......you would never know. Home owner wanted it.....I delivered. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
King. I will take your advice.. So I'll get the green label... water it down a bit.. and get a thick roller and roll it on in one direction.. then immediately roll it perpendicular to how i rolled it first??..(Do you mean roll it on east to west.. then north and south.. or roll east TO west.. then immediately west TO east???... stomp it... wait.. the knock it down.. The room is 20x15.. Im assuming i should do half the ceiling??.. then the other half.... or should i do the whole thing at once???? Much appreciated... want to do this today and didn't find much specific on the web...Any other tricks of the trade i should know??... Also Im assuming to tape and mud the joints as if i were to make the ceiling flat..THEN texture???

1 - 20 of 46 Posts