Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to shoot a 1 square foot ceiling patch today. Was at SW and saw a can of Homax fine finish in a can. 12 bucks, and it worked. I couldn't believe it, was expecting the worst. Just thought I'd share because I'm always leery of trying stuff like this.

·
Super Moderator
30,022 Posts
Works for knock down, thats about it. Atleast thats in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
30,022 Posts
We mostly do sugar, but there is a lot of knockdown here.

For me as a GC, I love the cans for knockdown. I dont have to drag my guy off a job for a patch and I dont have to go get a hopper.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
I have used the orange peel and knock down with success, but the other day I went through three cans of popcorn at 15 bucks a piece.

Two cans didn't even properly cover a 1 foot square patch. I also had a 3 inch space along one wall and the other can didn't do that either. Utter garbage. I'll use the bucket of stuff when I get back over there.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The popcorn cans are horrible, really messy and it seems I always managed to buy all of the cans that were under charged. I always break out the hopper for popcorn now. The orange peel cans work really well unless its a really heavy big texture that needs to be matched, trick with them is to make sure they are warm. We always heat them up in a sink of warm water or leave them in the sun for a while, it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I swear by this stuff.... except for the price. For very small patches alot better than pulling out my gun.

When I do a flip, I'll mark all my walls over time for the proverbially homeowner fixes, texture holidays, picture drapperary hangers and go thru the entire place with my gun......

but seems I always miss some small area/holidays and go back with the can.

I'm normally in oil base and orange peel.... with the adjustable nozzle, I can come pretty close to the exact orange peel match

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Any known trick for orange peel touch-up?

I've tried sponges...with no success.
No.

A lot of times I'll skim(milk) whole wall out where patches are. You can never really match some smooth orange peel texture.

As for the cans of texture. Yes they do work. Depending on the situation. I always have a few cans in my truck.

Oil is better ...........but watch that overspray. :whistling

And remember to always buy at least 2 extra cans, sometimes(a lot of times) one may not work. And return it next time back at the store.

A lot of trial and error with that stuff.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Since here EVERYTHING is texture I have used all the rattle cans and on patches have learned to use with success, all but the popcorn. The best is to use the Homax cans with the adjustable nozzle. The cans for popcorn are a joke, an expensive joke. For popcorn repair I got the Wagner trim tex sprayer ($100) and was really surprised at the job. Also good for the other textures. A lot better than hopper and compressor for small jobs.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since here EVERYTHING is texture I have used all the rattle cans and on patches have learned to use with success, all but the popcorn. The best is to use the Homax cans with the adjustable nozzle. The cans for popcorn are a joke, an expensive joke. For popcorn repair I got the Wagner trim tex sprayer ($100) and was really surprised at the job. Also good for the other textures. A lot better than hopper and compressor for small jobs.
Funny you mention that Wagner. I looked at it when buying the can of Homax. I hate dragging out the hopper compressor hose cords etc.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
I usually pass on Wagner stuff, but after spending 45 bucks and now an additional 10-20 bucks, I would have came out about the same and had a new tool as well. :censored:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts