Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a nearby city last week doing a quote. When I returned to my truck I was doing some numbers, and I happened to look to my left and there was a couple of guys on a lift.

One guy was working, using a tape measure. I think they were putting siding on the building.

The other guy (clearly the helper) was texting. The last big outfit that I worked for had a zero tolerance for that type of thing. You did get a warning or two, but dicking around and not working was a huge no go.

Given that we were being paid top wages and benefits, I didn't/don't blame my former employer.

I'm self employed now, and I get really p&&&&& off when I get a BS text or email. Time is freakin money!!! I actually did a 12 hour day Friday, party to beat the rain (client didn't have a garage where I could set up a saw) and partly he took the day off to move furniture so I could install the baseboards.

Crap I was toast! LOL only 2 miles from home though and got home about 8:30pm.

I did get some text's and emails throughout the day, and I did stop to read because I get some clients contacting me that way.

Pic is a bit dark, I took it through the window.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I was in a nearby city last week doing a quote. When I returned to my truck I was doing some numbers, and I happened to look to my left and there was a couple of guys on a lift.

One guy was working, using a tape measure. I think they were putting siding on the building.

The other guy (clearly the helper) was texting. The last big outfit that I worked for had a zero tolerance for that type of thing. You did get a warning or two, but dicking around and not working was a huge no go.

Given that we were being paid top wages and benefits, I didn't/don't blame my former employer.

I'm self employed now, and I get really p&&&&& off when I get a BS text or email. Time is freakin money!!! I actually did a 12 hour day Friday, party to beat the rain (client didn't have a garage where I could set up a saw) and partly he took the day off to move furniture so I could install the baseboards.

I did get some text's and emails throughout the day, and I did stop to read because I get some clients contacting me that way.

We have been working 12-16's and I fell way behind on texts, phone calls and emails. My friends hated me and my clients noticed....Major changes had to happen.

Phone no longer can stay on the truck.

The guys that do not have normal, direct contact with customers do not use there phones while we are into it. Wait for down time.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Maybe they were ordering more material. :jester:

I'm an employee and I agree. Nothing worse than trying to accomplish something and your partner has their head up their ass doing something else.

I was guilty of this when I was younger and stupider. But I like to think I've wisened up some. I leave the phone in the jelly bucket while on site.

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
The company I work for uses texting and phone calls equally, I'm required to have my phone on me at all times. Our labourers have no business using their phone during work time but it's not unusual for me to take calls/texts from the boss, project manager, foreman, or one of the other apprentices.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm an employee and do my own stuff on the side. I always have my Bluetooth on, and get texts and emails all day. I don't always check them right away, but I do sometimes depending on what's going on. My boss doesn't mind because I'm not constantly on my phone. We had a guy in the past part time that would just get out his phone and play during the middle of demo, that crap pi$$ed me off!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I had an employee talk on the phone for 10min while I was onsite, I don't know if he thought I wouldn't notice. I just said "was that your mother on the phone, if not it's not important enough to take you away from your job"

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Blue tooth, it reads incoming text, i can reply useing the blue tooth and not touch the phone, It also tells me who's calling. Blue ant, nokia 920 phone, windows based.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
If you give them to much s**t about being on the phone in front of you they'll
Just go hide in the porta-john.

One of my guys went in there every hour. I asked Him, why, he said "what are you counting" I said yes 6 times already and it's only 10:30. he quit soon after.

·
Registered
Custom
13,690 Posts
Are you sure he wasn't using the calculator function? A lot of the younger crowd can't seem to do figures in their head these days...:whistling

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I doubt it was work related, they lowered the lift, then the tape measure guy gave instructions to the texting guy. He get's one piece of siding, brings it back - words exchanged - texting guy goes back and gets a different piece of siding.

I couldn't watch it anymore, just too .... funny? painful? clearly we had one worker and one slack a$$.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm probably the only person to get yelled at for not checking my phone during the day. I tend to leave it either in the vehicle or in my tool bag and forget about it. Unless I'm on a roof in which case I keep it on myself due to learning a hard lesson.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I will say that I use my phone for work. I have an app for figuring railing spacing, I use the calc sometimes, I wrote down notes, etc.

I'm also the type who if a HO saw me using my phone I'd want to say "this is work related" because I want to be working when I'm being paid to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay, say I'm up on scaffolding and my wife texts me, I take my measurement yell it to my cut guy, while he is measuring and cutting I reply to my wife with a text that takes less Time then the cut. ( and yes I already have the next measurement ready for him) ... Sooo how is this so wrong ?

·
Registered
24 Posts

I cant stand this crap. All this texting and C u l8er crap.

Its all bull crap! I cant stand it in social situations when your having a conversation with some one and then their little cell phone gadget vibrates. After you notice a shift in their eyes and then the brain goes into la la land.

They are no longer listening to what your saying but only thinking "what does the text message say?". after 10 seconds goes by the zombie no longer can resist and turns on the phone and the eyes glaze over simultaneously smirking and giggling from a 3 word sentence on 3.5 inch computer screen completely ignoring the person in reality speaking to them...

ANIMALS!

These idiots can't spend a whole working day without their technology.

:censored::censored::censored:

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I check my phone a few times a day. I also run Handscent for my texting software and it will display the text on the lock screen for a quick preview. I can quickly tell if it's important or not.

What I can't stand is guys working for me looking at their phone every 5 minutes. Maybe they are getting their work done, but they are definitely not giving their work the attention it deserves.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I cant stand this crap. All this texting and C u l8er crap.

Its all bull crap! I cant stand it in social situations when your having a conversation with some one and then their little cell phone gadget vibrates. After you notice a shift in their eyes and then the brain goes into la la land.

They are no longer listening to what your saying but only thinking "what does the text message say?". after 10 seconds goes by the zombie no longer can resist and turns on the phone and the eyes glaze over simultaneously smirking and giggling from a 3 word sentence on 3.5 inch computer screen completely ignoring the person in reality speaking to them...

ANIMALS!

These idiots can't spend a whole working day without their technology.

:censored::censored::censored:
AMEN, BROTHER!!!

The bossman, or assistant boss obviously needs to be checking their 'phone' for updates during the day, but if I catch an employee/laborer texting when we should be working all hell breaks loose. I have a VERY short temper when I catch someone goofing off. You get one warning (In addition to the warning you got when you were hired) about wasting my time texting your GF or whoever. I've fired guys on the spot over phone use during the day. You have your breaks and lunchtime to play with your new gadget.

·
Registered
24 Posts
AMEN, BROTHER!!!

The bossman, or assistant boss obviously needs to be checking their 'phone' for updates during the day, but if I catch an employee/laborer texting when we should be working all hell breaks loose. I have a VERY short temper when I catch someone goofing off. You get one warning (In addition to the warning you got when you were hired) about wasting my time texting your GF or whoever. I've fired guys on the spot over phone use during the day. You have your breaks and lunchtime to play with your new gadget.
EXACTLY!

They have the attention span of a gold fish. Put the stupid thing down when you start work then pick it back up when your done, PERIOD.

Your not a celebrity or important business man put that crap down.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts