Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found text messaging on my cell phone to be a good way to keep in touch with my crew... and my wife. Do any of you use that or still just call on cell phones or push to talk?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I have found text messaging on my cell phone to be a good way to keep in touch with my crew... and my wife. Do any of you use that or still just call on cell phones or push to talk?

I always use the cell to talk to people. I hate text messages!!:eek:

·
Multi-tradesman defender
390 Posts
Text is where it's at. I use an iPhone, so it is very easy to text.

I have a problem with customer's text messaging, I almost feel like it is a violation or something. I don't initiate a text with a customer ever, but they sure find a way to text me.

Who knows, that just may be the future of communication. I used to hate it, now that I do it, I see the value in it. You can answer at your leisure, keep multiple conversations going and also have a "written" record of conversations.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,761 Posts
My wife wont give me her number.
Can you blame her:laughing:

I use to think it was pretty silly, very hard to do and slow. But having kids I am forced to use it now. After getting use to it I have become convinced it has its uses. You can use it for short messages but I find it cumbersome to get real information across. :rolleyes:

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
I never talk on the celly when working because I want the Client to know that I respect the job they hired me for and won't waste time talking on the phone. Plus it just looks better.

I will text if something comes up important I need to address. The full keypad helps...

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,761 Posts
You gotta be kidding me. Business is business. I can understand not talking on the phone when you are there on a job interview. But if you are writing a contract and doing work then you aren't wasting their time by talking on the phone. What you are doing is neglecting the other side of your business. If you are working T&M then you have a valid point.

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
I never talk on the celly when working because I want my Client to know that I respect the job they hired me for and won't waste time talking on the phone.

I will text if something comes up important I need to address. The full keypad helps...
You text for a material delivery ??????????????

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,518 Posts
Twitter, Kijiji, Facebook, Flickr, FriendFeed.....

Texting is so...... so................... 2008.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
You gotta be kidding me. Business is business. I can understand not talking on the phone when you are there on a job interview. But if you are writing a contract and doing work then you aren't wasting their time by talking on the phone. What you are doing is neglecting the other side of your business. If you are working T&M then you have a valid point.
no need to answer the phone every 10-15minutes, take notes on conversation, etc., Leo. Been there, had to stop the calls. Just works for me. I have evoice on my site. when I get finished for the day, I check the messages. I also have live chat if someone needs to talk to a rep.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,761 Posts
I can understand that. My phone doesn't ring off the hook. I will always look at the caller ID and decide if I need to answer it. If it is an unknown number for me I will always answer it, usually new business.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
You text for a material delivery ??????????????
Material coordination is either handled before arriving to the site or when at the site. Then I use the phone--t' do some coordinatin'. This is, of course, a part of the whole scope, right?.:whistling

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
My wife doesn't even answer my calls.:no:
I don't think I have ever sent a text message to a real person. Had to tell [email protected] to stop sending them to me via text once.

I like talking to people. May be old school but I will call in an order that I could easily fax because I would like to hear a voice from a real person rather than a fax or e-mail order.

I don't enjoy ordering things on the internet either.

I do enjoy messing around here though. Rather not listen to all ya bastids live. Go figure some logic into that.:whistling

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
Material coordination is either handled before arriving to the site or when at the site. Then I use the phone--t' do some coordinatin'. This is, of course, a part of the whole scope, right?.:whistling
I'm with Leo on this one. My phone does'nt ring off the hook. Sometimes, but I only answer the relevant calls.

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
My wife doesn't even answer my calls.:no:
I don't think I have ever sent a text message to a real person. Had to tell [email protected] to stop sending them to me via text once.

I like talking to people. May be old school but I will call in an order that I could easily fax because I would like to hear a voice from a real person rather than a fax or e-mail order.

I don't enjoy ordering things on the internet either.

I do enjoy messing around here though. Rather not listen to all ya bastids live. Go figure some logic into that.:whistling
What's your number ??? :laughing:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I always text the guys sunday night and let them know the game plan for the week. I find it very easy just write it up and send it out to all of them at once. Then I dont feel like Im bothering them on their free time and they can read it at their convenience

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
You mean to say you have hired a firm to answer your calls with a live receptionist and transfer them to voice...right?
No. It is in fact a live person's recording, but it is basically a voice message system. It works great for me. You set up the secondary phone answerers of your choice.
goes like this:

customer calls--evoice automated receptionist answers--customer chooses from 3 extensions I set up: 1. for estimates 2. for pricing 3. to speak to a representative.

The estimate/pricing/representatives are any person(s) you designate to handle these extensions.
Goes str8 to the designee's cellphone. Evoice--All for $30 bucks a month:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts