Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,966 Posts
Tx is already interviening into the rape pricing that is being sent to home owners. I doubt people will have to pay off those crazy prices and they shouldn't have to. Having your bill increase by 20x is insane, especially for the same thing you were receiving before.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,524 Posts
That'll turn out just as well as their independent energy production system did.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
22,320 Posts
That'll turn out just as well as their independent energy production system did.

You are against them having their own grid???

·
Radical Basement Dweller
22,320 Posts
Well, I guess you would know better than them. (y)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,524 Posts
And what gave you that idea?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
22,320 Posts
I'm a student of history. ;)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,524 Posts
Let me know when you start writing the chapter about me.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,168 Posts
Laws against price gouging during a declared emergency are pretty common. I expect the same thing in Texas.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,966 Posts
It wasn't a declared emergency at that time.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Most of the year when we used it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
you use a generator all the time?
Here nat. gas lines to a generator have to be 1 1/2" min for the volume of gas needed, I would imagine you would empty a propane tank pretty quick

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,644 Posts
you use a generator all the time?
Here nat. gas lines to a generator have to be 1 1/2" min for the volume of gas needed, I would imagine you would empty a propane tank pretty quick
No, it was like a 1,000 gallon propane tank or something ridiculous. I was not entirely paying complete attention to the topic I guess. Lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The manufacturers of Home Standby Generators will give gallons per hour/CFM propane/nat gas consumption, at full load, and 1/2 load.

It's pretty easy to do the calcs.

The 20-22kW home standby generators that I install don't require an upgraded gas line generally.

I try to site the unit near the main service panel and gas meter, and I tee off the main gas line right after the meter. At around 10 feet or so, a 3/4" line works fine.

I just did the calcs for a 22kW with a 500 gallon dedicated propane tank a couple weeks ago. It'll run at 1/2 load for about 10+ days. At roughly 2.39/gal (here) for propane, it'll cost around 5.00/hour to run it.

Pretty pricey for any kind of long term use, but in a disaster situation, invaluable.

On a "basic" installation, where there is not excessive excavation, relocation of utilities, the unit placed far away from the meters, or a main service panel that requires an upgrade, someone could get a standby and installation for somewhere around 12K.

Not that bad really.

When you consider that a good stable 7kW portable from Honda will run you about $4,500, and transfer equipment installed is around 2K, suddenly the standby doesn't look so bad. (y)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts