Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@TxElectrician

Whats the generator situation like down there?

Are you getting a ton of calls for installations?

Ive heard that Generac especially, but all the manufacturers, are bracing to be swamped with orders all through the summers.

·
Registered
7,898 Posts
Getting a few calls. Right now people are focusing on getting plumbing repaired.

Nearly everyone I know has been impacted by frozen pipes somehow.

I am sure once that's taken care of more generator calls will come in. However, I am not the best salesman for whole house gennys. I think they are a waste of money for the average HO in our environment.

I try and talk people into a 5 or 10kw portable with a power inlet and interlock.

Not the best way to make money, but I would rather do that than sell elephant repellant.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Radical Basement Dweller
22,147 Posts
Getting a few calls. Right now people are focusing on getting plumbing repaired.

Nearly everyone I know has been impacted by frozen pipes somehow.

I am sure once that's taken care of more generator calls will come in. However, I am not the best salesman for whole house gennys. I think they are a waste of money for the average HO in our environment.

I try and talk people into a 5 or 10kw portable with a power inlet and interlock.

Not the best way to make money, but I would rather do that than sell elephant repellant.

I'm a bit more pessimistic than that.
Not trying to be political but tough to do and still make my point.
With all the "America last" and "Green new Deal" politics happening at breakneck speed, it might behoove people, even in Texas, to start thinking about a generator.

Reactions: A&E Exteriors

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Built in Jenny’s aren’t common here. I’ve done 1.Like Tx.elec said, people aren’t going to spend the money. My oldest lives in H-town, most people there have portables for the outages the hurricanes cause. Her power was only out partially 6 hours. Won’t go over here. My sparky pushes it but few bite

Mike

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,547 Posts
It's definitely a good idea to have a generator, but those dedicated whole-house jobs are way overkill unless you need quite a bit of juice--and even then, hard to justify the price. Not only will a portable get you by in most cases, it can come in handy for other applications. 5KW would be plenty for most folks.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
Better have lots of natural gas to all of the houses, we have towns were I work that limit the size of the generator because the gas lines are old and small. Many of them need a 1 1/2" line. Where I live no gas at all.

Not sure how long a large propane tank would last

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,523 Posts
'Round these parts, most people have a heart attack when they call me up for a price on a pad-mount genny with auto transfer. Many of them don't even have the gas line coming into their houses near large enough to drive one. They balk about diggin up their perfectly-manicured lawn just for a 1¼ or 1½-inch gas line to be brought in. They think the existing ½ or ¾" line is god's plenty.

And that's even if the gas utility can provide the pressure and flow needed at the street.

Most end up with the same setup TxElectrician mentioned. A small sub-panel with 4-8 circuits, utilizing a 5- to 10kw portable genny and a simple L15-30 flanged inlet through a manual transfer switch.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
22,147 Posts
My sister and BIL had a Generac installed 4 years ago because he was dying of ALS and needed electronic medical gadgets to operate and my sister has MS and same deal.
They got a 22K unit to run their entire home, which is all electric.
The installer said should it have to run full tilt during an outage, it would last 2-3 days on a 420 lb tank.

Edit: I told her and my niece that should the power go out, don't act like nothing happened and bake cookies while drying 4 loads of laundry with the iron on high while taking hot showers and using the hair dryer.

Reactions: tgeb and hdavis

·
Registered
Remodel
28,071 Posts
Depends on how big the tank is and how big if a load, but ours will go a month or so. 300 gals, I think.

No electric heat.

A setup that captures the waste heat and uses it could be good.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
The baby whale propane tanks are common here. Side note: if you want it buried in our solid rock it’s an extra k. Otherwise it’s yard art

Mike

·
Radical Basement Dweller
22,147 Posts
My sister and BIL had a Generac installed 4 years ago because he was dying of ALS and needed electronic medical gadgets to operate and my sister has MS and same deal.
They got a 22K unit to run their entire home, which is all electric.
The installer said should it have to run full tilt during an outage, it would last 2-3 days on a 420 lb tank.

Edit: I told her and my niece that should the power go out, don't act like nothing happened and bake cookies while drying 4 loads of laundry with the iron on high while taking hot showers and using the hair dryer.

They were quoted a price on a 20K unit of $6000.00. When they got ready for the install, they put a 22K in at no additional charge.
personally, I thought that sounded a little low. It came with the unit, the Generac switch all wired in and a full 420 lb. tank of propane.
I don't know what I was thinking it cost but....
I think if I was buying or building today, I would add in the price of one in the mortgage payment.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Most of our larger custom home clients want us to provide generators, we recently did a 64KW, 70KW, and about to do a 48KW liquid cooled generator. Moving forward I expect more owners will want them, in fact we are meeting with the architect tomorrow on a contract we just signed to discuss a 22kw generator.

·
Registered
7,898 Posts
They were quoted a price on a 20K unit of $6000.00. When they got ready for the install, they put a 22K in at no additional charge.
personally, I thought that sounded a little low. It came with the unit, the Generac switch all wired in and a full 420 lb. tank of propane.
I think if I was buying or building today, I would add in the price of one in the mortgage payment.
Most homes I wire have a 400 amp service and 20-25kw electric heat. When someone asks for a whole house generator they really have no idea of the cost or what they need. Even for a 45kw it gets pricey fast.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
22,147 Posts
Most homes I wire have a 400 amp service and 20-25kw electric heat. When someone asks for a whole house generator they really have no idea of the cost or what they need. Even for a 45kw it gets pricey fast.

Heat pumps here.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,523 Posts
With electric bills reported at 17k a month, you can get a lot of generator for that.

Mike.
___

Not when you no longer have that $17k.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,775 Posts
100 gallon tank. I have 4 of those at my shop.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,071 Posts
A generator is an insurance policy. Maybe that insurance is smart for you, maybe it isn't.

Down there I'd consider having a pellet stove and a couple weeks supply of pellets. You'd have to burn them up every year, but you don't wind up with bugs and critters in a wood pile.

I just don't know If you can get pellets there, never looked for them.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,775 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,523 Posts
I'd pay the electric company my normal amount, tell them to suck on it.
And then you'd be sitting in the dark for months waiting for your $17k generator to get installed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts