Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did an old pine wood floor about 6 months ago and now it is realeasing sap out of the knots. This is about 7" antique pine, recently milled into flooring. We put oil stain and two coats of oil-modified polyurethane. Why did it do this and what is the fix?....Thanks :D

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Are you certain of the age of the pine? What were your starting and final thicknesses? I take it that 7" is the width.

If the pine is still young, bought squared, sawn and milled, there could easily still be sap in the knots not yet dried. Working wood can produce heat which can also cause even very old knots to bleed although this doesn't usually last very long. I would really question the 'antiqueness' of your wood, is it supposedly over 50 yrs. old?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Are you sure it is sap or just excess stain that didn't dry?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Teetorbilt said:
Are you certain of the age of the pine? What were your starting and final thicknesses? I take it that 7" is the width.

If the pine is still young, bought squared, sawn and milled, there could easily still be sap in the knots not yet dried. Working wood can produce heat which can also cause even very old knots to bleed although this doesn't usually last very long. I would really question the 'antiqueness' of your wood, is it supposedly over 50 yrs. old?
yah, it over 100 years old. Long leaf, but it was millled from old beams and stuff taken from an old building.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Some finishes are not compatible with tree sap. Check with the manufacturer on this. You might have to re-sand and use a different type of finish, like acid cure.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Donedat said:
Some finishes are not compatible with tree sap. Check with the manufacturer on this. You might have to re-sand and use a different type of finish, like acid cure.
Hey ill sure check into that and get this thing resolved. Thanks a-lot :Thumbs:

·
Registered
375 Posts
adams said:
Hey ill sure check into that and get this thing resolved. Thanks a-lot :Thumbs:
Let us know how it goes. Post some pics too. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
114 Posts
have you tried a wood conditioner? or even maybe even a little more poly?pine that old might just be sucking some of it up and not sealing properly.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yah, well we stained, then two coats of oil based poly. I'll let yall know next week more.

·
Registered
375 Posts
adams said:
yah, well we stained, then two coats of oil based poly. I'll let yall know next week more.
Okedoke....can't wait to see the pictures

1 - 11 of 11 Posts