Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Test for Conversion Varnish vs. Lacquer

16K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  DaVinciRemodel 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a test to determine whether a cab finish is conversion varnish vs. lacquer?

We have some cab doors we need to refinish (distress). We normally shoot lacquer but we're not sure what the current finnish is. Does it matter? We plan to strip down but with the detail in the doors, I don't think we'll get it all.

#3 ·
Lacquer thinner won't have an effect on cv.

I could be wrong, but I think it is as simple as trying to rub off the finish with lacquer thinner.
Thanks Gus. :thumbsup: That was the best guess I had. I'll give that a try in the morning.

If it is CV, is there a problem shooting lacquer over it? I would guess it would layer instead on melding together. But will it bond?

#5 ·
Update

Here's what I did:

We have a panel from an old D/W in this house:

1. Tried every chemical know to man and nothing phased the finish.

2. Sanded 220 until I reached stain.

3. Apllied 1 coat black lacquer satin.

4. Distressed.

5. Apllied two coats clear lacquer satin.

This was done about a wek ago. I've subjected the door (finish) to radical temperature change. It seems to be holding fine.

Any input - comments - suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

#8 ·
As long as you got the majority of the original finish off, I dont think the tiny bit left in the crevices will matter at all. An initial coat of vinyl sealer would help with any adhesion problems.

Are these kitchen cabinet doors? Regular lacquer isnt a very good finish for this. It doesnt stand up to moisture or daily abuse. The only plus is that film thickness isnt critical. If you can at least step up to a precat lacquer, these doors would stand a better chance of surviving...

#9 ·
As long as you got the majority of the original finish off, I dont think the tiny bit left in the crevices will matter at all. An initial coat of vinyl sealer would help with any adhesion problems.

Are these kitchen cabinet doors? Regular lacquer isnt a very good finish for this. It doesnt stand up to moisture or daily abuse. The only plus is that film thickness isnt critical. If you can at least step up to a precat lacquer, these doors would stand a better chance of surviving...
I didn't think of the vinyl sealer! :thumbsup: I'm using a precat on the top coats.

Thanks Splinter

#11 ·
Unfortunately, I don't. I ended-up doing the refinish work, but the project itself went with my ex-business partner (it was his client to begin with).

I'll ask him if he has any project pics to share.

BTW, I still have the door sample and the finish has held-up very well. To my knowledge the finish is holding-up well on site also.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.