Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here so please bear with me and Ill try to list all details of problem.

I am a sub contractor (electrical). We were notified that we were chosen to perform a retail fit out 2 days after the project start date. I wasnt able to staff the project until 3 days later. Come to find out the By the time my guys were on site, The GC had his men there for almost a week and were already 50% done with framing. Needless to say we came in already very far behind. However my guys kicked ass and not only caught up but got about 75% of the total build done. However we were to do some Slab cutting for our conduit(about 80' X 6"). we were informed by the Super that the slab was 4" thick and proceeded to rent a wet saw that had a cutting depth of 4.5". well not only did the slab turn out to be 7.5" + but the machine kept breaking. So we lost alot of time dickering around with it and finally got all the cuts made. Now we just tried jack hammering to remove them and the damn cement must be some special stuff cus it took 2 men two hours to get one 8 foot by 6 inch section...( yes were not mason or concrete workers or whatever there called) but its definitely not something we can handle. Now because of the flack my foreman got from the super about schedules and the painters and the carpeters ETC ETC, he said ***x it and walked off. Now at this point I should point out that the entire build is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule... and the GC will not make any adjustments to the schedule to accommodate the Trench work. This I feel is very unreasonable...TO add to this the fact that our payment schedule is NET 60 ( yes I Know but I had a few bucks from the 2 of the previous projects to float this one) However that money is gone and I wont be receiving any more funds from the GC any time soon...Not only did my foreman walk off the job but He wont even answer my calls and I cant spare any others to staff this build.
WE have been paid for aprox 50% of contract and are at about 70-75% complete.
MY question is Can I walk off and terminate this contract. and if so what ramifications can I expect from the GC? I feel terrible that this happened But I just dont know what else I can do if the GC continues to not relent and Give us time to get this concrete mess done.

any help or info would be greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Yes, you can walk off the job.

The ramification from the GC is likely as follows:

1. They will hire a sparky to replace you. His bill comes in under your contractural amount. The GC will pay out to you minus the new sparkys bill and minus his admin time.

2. They will hire a sparky to replace you. His bill and admin time come to more than your contract. He will bill you and possibly file suit (and win) depending on the amount.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Im not to worried about Him billing me for another Electrician to come in and finish...Im more worried about anything dealing with the Lien Law...Actually had Troopers come to my business and question me last year...still dealing with that nightmare a year later(in criminal court mind) New York plays no games with that stuff so I just wanted to make sure I was in the clear with that in mind.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Advice- Complete the job you were contracted to do.

Question- why did you not either 1) exlude saw cut in your contract, or 2) include money to hire someone with the correct equipment to do that portion of the project?

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Seriously, just hire a concrete cutting company and make sure that removal is part of the deal. Then call you foreman and tell him he needs to grow a set so his next boss doesnt fire him like you did..

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hire a couple laborers to do the concrete demo and get your electricians running wire n conduit, what they're supposed to be doing!!!

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
First post here so please bear with me and Ill try to list all details of problem.

I am a sub contractor (electrical). We were notified that we were chosen to perform a retail fit out 2 days after the project start date. I wasnt able to staff the project until 3 days later. Come to find out the By the time my guys were on site, The GC had his men there for almost a week and were already 50% done with framing. Needless to say we came in already very far behind. However my guys kicked ass and not only caught up but got about 75% of the total build done. However we were to do some Slab cutting for our conduit(about 80' X 6"). we were informed by the Super that the slab was 4" thick and proceeded to rent a wet saw that had a cutting depth of 4.5". well not only did the slab turn out to be 7.5" + but the machine kept breaking. So we lost alot of time dickering around with it and finally got all the cuts made. Now we just tried jack hammering to remove them and the damn cement must be some special stuff cus it took 2 men two hours to get one 8 foot by 6 inch section...( yes were not mason or concrete workers or whatever there called) but its definitely not something we can handle. Now because of the flack my foreman got from the super about schedules and the painters and the carpeters ETC ETC, he said ***x it and walked off. Now at this point I should point out that the entire build is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule... and the GC will not make any adjustments to the schedule to accommodate the Trench work. This I feel is very unreasonable...TO add to this the fact that our payment schedule is NET 60 ( yes I Know but I had a few bucks from the 2 of the previous projects to float this one) However that money is gone and I wont be receiving any more funds from the GC any time soon...Not only did my foreman walk off the job but He wont even answer my calls and I cant spare any others to staff this build.
WE have been paid for aprox 50% of contract and are at about 70-75% complete.
MY question is Can I walk off and terminate this contract. and if so what ramifications can I expect from the GC? I feel terrible that this happened But I just dont know what else I can do if the GC continues to not relent and Give us time to get this concrete mess done.

any help or info would be greatly appreciated.:thumbup:
In a lot of cases when you feel like walking away because things are not going right is when you dig in and just get it done... you walk away knowing you did the right thing, your rep intact and more importantly with a paycheck... it's what sets you aside as a pro...

Or you can give up the profit from the last two jobs that you used to "float" this one and realize that you just worked 3 jobs for no net money... Only one of the actions enhances your rep...

Trying to justify walking off because you got paid 50% but YOU estimate the job is 75% done is wasted effort...

Regroup and Get 'er done... You CAN do it, but you have to want to... Best of luck... 8^)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The last thing you want to do is walk off. It will cost you more, the GC will make sure of it. Think of it this way. If a GC called you up and said, "I'm in a bad way and need you onsite immediately b/c my electrician wakled off the job. Also we're on a tight schedule." Would you:
a) give him your rock bottom price because you feel bad for the GC and the electrician that walked off
or
b) give him an inflated price because you know the project is going to be tough (obviously the sub walked off) and you have him by the short hairs
Add to that that the GC will be pissed and will make sure he comes up with ways to show that you are owed no more money on the project and likely owe him money. Also don't plan on working for that GC again.
I'd follow the advice of others here and subcontract a demo company to do the concrete demo for you. They can bust out 80' of 7.5" in a day and will clean up after themselves. Don't waste your skilled electricians time on it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Get yourself a compresser and a 95 pd jack hammer ,pull up your skirt and get to work...

WTF is wrong with people today?
X2. We've broken basement floors that were 12" thick with a couple 95's.

Its not fun, or easy, but you do what you got to do. Or like someone said get a concrete cutting company in there and get it done.

I think backing out will cause more headaches than finishing 70 ft of trench.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts