Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about buying a 10x20 canopy to cover my out side workstation. I frequently work in the driveway of the home.

Add one side curtain to help coral the dust. Should look professional and keep the tools dry if it sprinkles.

BIG QUESTION: Do any of you think it would be tacky to put my phone number discreetly in the corner of the flaps?

I get a lot of looky loos walking past.

I found that if one house in a neighborhood needs a re trim job they probably all do. Just might pick up a few new leads in a year.

What do you think? MIKE

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I don't think so much you need to worry about it looking tacky with company info on it, but how will it look with no company info on it. You already admitted to newsy neighbors scoping out your work - let them know who you are from some advertising on it.

If you have the space and $, like sls said, logo it like your trailer, truck, etc.

On a secondary note, I've been considering this idea myself. Care to share a link to what you are looking into?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input---------------

I've been thinking about this for a while now.

There are a number of mail order suppliers on the internet. Local suppliers only seem to have the cheapos that are to time consuming to set up.

When I get this I;ll see about posting a picture. I might even get some indoor-outdoor carpet. My helper will hate the set up and tear down.:laughing:

My job is to keep the calendar filled,his is getting the job done right.

If anyone watching uses a tent,Please let us all know, MIKE

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but I've been using tents for set up stations 3 years running now. I've had many types and they all seem to get trashed periodically, throughout the year.

First year I went through 2 of them
Second year, 3
This year, 1 and then said "F" it, no more tents

We have winds that come from nowhere and just slam these things in the ground. Doesn't seem to matter what quality it is. I even had one made from 1 1/2" powder coated tubing and I found it blown up on the back of a hill the next morning. I even had cinder blocks tied to the damn legs!

Just thought you might want to think about that before you spend all that $$$ on the advertising/printing.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good point

Hadn't planned on leaving it up over night, You've had experience. Thanks.

Still think I'll give it a shot, Cost is not to bad, just won't plan on a long life.

Hadn't thought about the think taking off like Dorothy and Todo.
------Welcome to Oz, is your name DeWalt?----------------------

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Depending on type, you can pull the canopy down nightly and leave the framework. Like Jason, I've destroyed two tent frames by leaving them up overnight. Now, at the end of the day, I pull the canopy off the framework and use it to cover the cut table below.

Those pop-up graphic tents are seriously cool, thanks for the links.

Mac

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Hadn't planned on leaving it up over night, You've had experience. Thanks.

Still think I'll give it a shot, Cost is not to bad, just won't plan on a long life.

Hadn't thought about the think taking off like Dorothy and Todo.
------Welcome to Oz, is your name DeWalt?----------------------
I lost most of them by leaving them up over night. This year I had a 12' x 12' come down in the middle of the day:blink:

You might have a different situation than me and it's a great idea:thumbsup: Keep an eye on it though.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys hav e got me laughing

I do think I'll give it a try. Tying the thing down will be the challenge.

I have seen some tents after a surprise wind --kind of explains how a 747 jet flies.

I am sure the advertising value will off set the cost and time.
Glad to hear from you all. MIKE

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Do one of the screen print Logos that would have a picture of you working inside next to your miterbox. That way you can take a lunch break or go somewhere and people will think you're still working hard in the tent!!!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts