Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to install a temporary railing around a second floor balcony also a set of temp stairs for the owner to get their c/o. this is in monroe township in new jersey. can someone tell me where I find out what the exact code for these things are? or where I go to find them?

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I have to install a temporary railing around a second floor balcony also a set of temp stairs for the owner to get their c/o. this is in monroe township in new jersey. can someone tell me where I find out what the exact code for these things are? or where I go to find them?
Just cut regular stairs in to code max rise 8 1/4", min tread depth 9", close up risers to min opening 4" and put the railings min 34" high with graspable handrail and 4" OC spindles and you should be ok. Monroe has nice inspectors, they don't break chops but they want everything to code.

Good luck

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,269 Posts
Just cut regular stairs in to code max rise 8 1/4", min tread depth 9", close up risers to min opening 4" and put the railings min 34" high with graspable handrail and 4" OC spindles and you should be ok. Monroe has nice inspectors, they don't break chops but they want everything to code.

Good luck
Just for the record I believe the IRC allows stair balusters to be 4-3/8" maximum spaced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am new to this where can I find the actual codes on paper? is there someplace I go in each town I work in or a book or something?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
This a combination of a temporary structure during construction.

It is not your building and the owner needs to supply access. A quick call to the local code people will give you what will be required in the future (do avoid rebuilding) and will be acceptable for a short term. - This will also affect what will be acceptable for a temporary solution and what will ultimately be required for permanent construction.

It is up to the owner waht is acceptable for a CO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok

This a combination of a temporary structure during construction.

It is not your building and the owner needs to supply access. A quick call to the local code people will give you what will be required in the future (do avoid rebuilding) and will be acceptable for a short term. - This will also affect what will be acceptable for a temporary solution and what will ultimately be required for permanent construction.

It is up to the owner waht is acceptable for a CO.
That is what I am asking who are "the local code people" how do I contact them?

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Californiadecks said:
I'm sure you knew that Greg, I was just letting the OP in on it. :thumbsup:
Honestly Mike I didn't lol I been making them same as the guard rails 4" OC forever and I never paid attention to that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
first of all

If I may say, this sounds rather more like a home owner question or questions, really.
To get a C of O most (all) cities that I have ever dealt with require the railing to be permanent and to code.

Second, you're a contractor and you don't know where to go to contact the local code people?

Really?

Andy.
I never said i was a contractor and u dont have to install permanent railings to get a co. I suppose they want iron railings but just want temp ralings so they can move in.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
Just for the record I believe the IRC allows stair balusters to be 4-3/8" maximum spaced.
That is not code in NJ still 4", NJ only allows 4 3/8" over 36 high to 42 high

"1013.3 Opening limitations.Required guards shall not have openings which allow passage of a sphere 4 inches (102 mm) in
diameter from the walking surface to the required guard height.
Exceptions:
1. From a height of 36 inches (914 mm) to 42 inches
(1067 mm), guards shall not have openings which allow passage of a sphere 4 3/8 inches (111 mm) "

Each town can specify what they want completed for a temp CO. Many towns that I work in will not issue a temp CO period.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts