Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big machine used for sanding wood floors runs on 220 volts. The cord is a 10/3 cable. Some homes have no 220-volt outlet, though there may be enough power available in the box.
What might I expect to pay an electrician to do an in-box hook-up or to add a 220-volt outlet next to the main panel. Is there a 'temporary' option, something I could be able to learn/ utilize on my own, for future jobs? Certainly there are variables possible in this scenario so I am asking that you assume we have optimal access, etc.
Thanks for your professional opinions.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,989 Posts
If you're a typical flooring installer, you'll forgo calling an electrician to properly wire something for you and just put alligator clips on your cord and clip right onto the main lugs of the panel.

Of course, you didn't hear that from me.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Electric dryer is 220. Get an adapter for your cord. Sometimes the garage will have a 220 crows foot.

Last option is a 50 amp 220 breaker that is put in the box on a temperary basis. Should be installed by an electrician.

I list my electrical needs in my bid so it is clear from the get go that I need some special electrical options.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sanders

Hell 480. The mexicans at our job yesterday just bunched up the end of wire and put them in the allen hole opening of the main lugs then wrapped the ground around some random bare copper. I took a photo but I cant download. I'll try later

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Electric dryer is 220. Get an adapter for your cord. Sometimes the garage will have a 220 crows foot.

Last option is a 50 amp 220 breaker that is put in the box on a temperary basis. Should be installed by an electrician.

I list my electrical needs in my bid so it is clear from the get go that I need some special electrical options.

So far, the only usefull response to the OP:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Electric dryer is 220. Get an adapter for your cord.
ditto that...also might have 220 for a window unit somewhere.

When I started out, I used to drag my big 220 compressor around. I had a long cord made to fit a dryer, and on the 'outside' end, a box with my 220 and a pair of 110 outlets for the saws/radio...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...Last option is a 50 amp 220 breaker that is put in the box on a temperary basis. Should be installed by an electrician...
Thanks Dakzaag. How much should I reasonably expect to pay to have this done? How much time would it take to complete the work, under optimal conditions?

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Top Floor,
Sorry, I'm a mason, not an eletrician. Call around, and ask while your on the site if a sparky happens to be there.

If you get a chance when your looking at the job for the first time, just look at the control box. Any big amp connections are going to jump out at you and then you know if you have options, or if your gonna need special wiring.

Again, if you note it up front, usually a sparky is on site sometime before you and if it is in his bid, cost wise it will not be too bad. (word the contract properly and the owner will pay for it, not you.)

I was on a job several weeks ago and the power went out to the whole site. No idea what happened, I didn't need the juice, but the dry wall crew was inside going at it like they were killing snakes. No power, no lights no work. They had a portable in the van and were up and running in about 10 minutes. I was impressed, they were definately prepared for this and didn't skip a beat.

Point is you might want to be set up the same way, so you don't lose work because of the hassle or some sparky forgetting he was to supply you with the needed power. I have a gen set, but don't normally have it along unless I know I will need it. Its extra for using it on a remote site and I charge enough that I don't need it very often.

Reactions: TopFloor

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,989 Posts
Do what all the other Mexicans do, cut the plug off your sander, strip it back, and then jam it in the dryer outlet.

Dryer outlet? WHAT dryer outlet?!?!

We don't need no steekeeng dryer outlet!

Reactions: TopFloor

·
Registered
853 Posts
What is the amp requirement? You didn't hear this from me, but you could find two different outlets on separate poles, run two extension cords and use the hots from both as long as you don't exceed 15 or 20A, depending on the amperage of the outlet being fed from.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
What is the amp requirement? You didn't hear this from me, but you could find two different outlets on separate poles, run two extension cords and use the hots from both as long as you don't exceed 15 or 20A, depending on the amperage of the outlet being fed from.
I can honestly say that I would LOVE to have the knowledge to safely improvise. I would be fried if I attempted a pro move like that.

·
#1 stunner
576 Posts

:laughing:

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I say if your checking out a job. First stop is the utility room to see if dryer has 220 plug. If it does your cooking. My dryer has the fat hardcore 220

·
Registered
853 Posts
I can honestly say that I would LOVE to have the knowledge to safely improvise. I would be fried if I attempted a pro move like that.
You just need two extension cords and a a Y adapter with two regular 120v male plugs and one 240v 20A receptacle. Bring two extension cords' socket to one location, then plug the Y adapter into it and you have a 240v 15 or 20A outlet. If you locate the right outlets (try two sides of walls on a kitchen for example) then you'll have 240v. If you choose the wrong outlets, you get 0v.

You'll have 208v if it's a 208Y/120v fed building.

It's safe if you know what you're doing.
It looks stupid
No, it's not code compliant
Yes, my drawing looks stupid.

Attachments

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,989 Posts
You just need two extension cords and a a Y adapter with two regular 120v male plugs and one 240v 20A receptacle. Bring two extension cords' socket to one location, then plug the Y adapter into it and you have a 240v 15 or 20A outlet. If you locate the right outlets (try two sides of walls on a kitchen for example) then you'll have 240v. If you choose the wrong outlets, you get 0v.

You'll have 208v if it's a 208Y/120v fed building.

It's safe if you know what you're doing.
It looks stupid
No, it's not code compliant
Yes, my drawing looks stupid.
Such cords are commercially available for stage poductions, travelling bands, etc.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You just need two extension cords and a a Y adapter with two regular 120v male plugs and one 240v 20A receptacle...It's safe if you know what you're doing...
Such cords are commercially available for stage poductions, travelling bands, etc.
Well, it sounds like that WOULD solve alot of issues. I will ask around and see if I can get a sparky to confirm and demonstrate. Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts