Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my guys totally screwed up a job. They blasted 1/2" thick tempered glass in a brass storefront system.

anyone ever run into this problem and how did you fix it?

Attachments

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
That window is ruined, buffing not an option, try to see if they will accept credit for the damage off the final invoice, your going to kill any profit you might have had and possibly lose money but take it as payment on a good lesson learned and move on. Those windows are spendy, insurance should only be used when absolutely necassary, we would solve the problem on our own without a claim. I would say that you are on the hook in some way.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, that is what i am hearing with the research i have done. 6 panels of 1/2" thick tempered glass the size of a door is going to cost but this customer has done over $70K with us over the past 3 months.

I should have stopped by the job wile it was in progress to make sure they were protecting everything. :censored:

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Get a few prices on that so you don't get hurt more than you have to. It may be plat or tempered. If you see glass with a bee bee whole in it on a store front it isn't tempered. Tempered will always break in to little pieces or not break at all. Tempered is for saftey as in a window in a door way. Plate may be cheaper. See if there is a differenc and if it is leagle to switch it if it is. I have a business relationship with A glass company here in pa. If I had all the specs I could get an idea of what you should be charged. They may even go to ohio for jobs.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

look up viracon they may have replacements for this type of glass. I doubt you will find it off the web, find customer service and go from there. Use the name Dean Mennin. You did not get it from me. Tell the guy who gets you to him you used to work in special fab in Owtonna Mn, they have no idea who works for them good luck.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get a few prices on that so you don't get hurt more than you have to. It may be plat or tempered. If you see glass with a bee bee whole in it on a store front it isn't tempered. Tempered will always break in to little pieces or not break at all. Tempered is for saftey as in a window in a door way. Plate may be cheaper. See if there is a differenc and if it is leagle to switch it if it is. I have a business relationship with A glass company here in pa. If I had all the specs I could get an idea of what you should be charged. They may even go to ohio for jobs.
I have 5 companies bidding the glass replacement.

there is no way you can put plate glass in a storefront door, if it broke it could kill someone.

My first price came in at $4,200 glass replacement only not including board-up since the doors will take 4 days each for the glazing to dry. still have to re-finish the brass storefront metal.

·
Rick
86 Posts
What were they blasting?

What were they blasting?
I feel for you,I hate when my help screws stuff up.
They just shrug it off like no biggie.....

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I agree to soda would have been good but it wouldn't have removed the rust on the steel lip. a few $10.00 plywood scrap to protect the glass would have been the cheepest.

But when you are doing the job, the after Thought is always the easier.

I'd call this one hell of a learning Curve.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Another option to remember is that while we are called to blast there is no reason we can't blast part and use a grinder on another small part to clean it up. The customer just wants it fixed and it's up to us to do what we think is best. For instance when I come across thick bondo on a car body I don't waist any media on it. I get out a die grinder and take it down to metal a lot quicker and at really no cost.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the final totals for the damage is in.

The job sold for $1,875.00 and the damage cost $6,704.00

Amazing that all my guys needed to do is pickup $150 worth of plywood and this whole mess would have been avoided.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Well the final totals for the damage is in.

The job sold for $1,875.00 and the damage cost $6,704.00

Amazing that all my guys needed to do is pickup $150 worth of plywood and this whole mess would have been avoided.
Pleeeze tell us that insurance
paid part of it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts