Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if you can buff out Tempered Glass?

My sub-contractor sandblasted 6 panels of 1/2" thick tempered glass in a brass storefront system. I have to get this fixed and would rather not replace the glass.

Can anything be done other than replacing the glass?

here are some pics

Attachments

·
slave driver
82 Posts
not good

You will have to pay for replacement tempered glass, and any anodized storefront metal. Have it replaced and back charge the sub. Hopefully, next time they are careful enough to protect adjacent work from blasting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with Glassman. There is no realistic way you can buff that glass and end up with an acceptable product.

Likely it is cheaper to replace it - and one heck of a lot easier.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,719 Posts
That glass is done. You won't be able to buff it out, to hard. Byt the time you get there you will have burnt up so much time you could have had someone else replace them. Just replace them, back charge the sub. They should know to protect glass when using media hard enough to scratch it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, looks like it will have to be replaced.

the storefront system is brass not aluminum. hopefully it can be refinished.

the storefront system is also old -at least 15 years.

·
slave driver
82 Posts
brass storfront?

Sorry, but brass is too soft, and Way to expensive for storefront metal systems to be extruded, and at only 15 years young, it is aluminum anodized to a color shade of bronze.
There are some manufactures that will pull true bronze extrusions, but your wallet will not like it.
Also, cladding the storefront tube is possible, again what can your wallet afford?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sure that the storefront system is brass. I am not sure of the age. the last remodel on the mall was 15 year ago but it was built in the 70s

·
Glazier
63 Posts
Replace the glass and if large enough make claim on his insurance to cover the costs. Getting the insurance involved will expedite things otherwise you may be in an uphill battle. If the storefront is brass then you should be able to have it refurbished with financial help again from the insurance. Just keep in mind that the company that this property belongs to will be on your ass to get this remedied and will pull no punches with you so you can't pull any punches with your sub.

·
Unscratch
24 Posts
Scratched Glass Repair Really Works!

If it is new Glass, I would have who ever made it replace it.. good luck buffing, never seen that work.
Here's a sample of a badly scratched tempered window we resurfaced. This was one of about 150 in La Quinta CA. Pella fiberglass windows that got scratched pretty bad during construction and construction cleanup. We only lost (2) small ones when the outside temp was around 100. Didn't lose any scratched tempered windows. This was a new apartment complex. Anyway, we developed the process we use and its fast, neat and doesn't require any special pumps or anything.
I'm surprised how often companies replace scratched glass when they really don't have to. We just did a job down in Alabama at a Naval Base. They found 23 scratched laminated windows, specialty glass from Minnesota. We sent a guy down and he fixed them all in (2) days! Everyone there said there's no way its gonna work....but it did and its done! No scratched glass had to be replaced. Just had to be resurfaced. No waviness, no distortion, just clear glass again.

Rick Evans
http://www.UnscratchTheSurface.com
888-986-7272
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Here's a sample of a badly scratched tempered window we resurfaced. This was one of about 150 in La Quinta CA. Pella fiberglass windows that got scratched pretty bad during construction and construction cleanup. We only lost (2) small ones when the outside temp was around 100. Didn't lose any scratched tempered windows. This was a new apartment complex. Anyway, we developed the process we use and its fast, neat and doesn't require any special pumps or anything.
I'm surprised how often companies replace scratched glass when they really don't have to. We just did a job down in Alabama at a Naval Base. They found 23 scratched laminated windows, specialty glass from Minnesota. We sent a guy down and he fixed them all in (2) days! Everyone there said there's no way its gonna work....but it did and its done! No scratched glass had to be replaced. Just had to be resurfaced. No waviness, no distortion, just clear glass again.

Rick Evans
http://www.UnscratchTheSurface.com
888-986-7272
[email protected]
Rick,
His glass isn't surfaced scratched it's pitted. I have seen scratches polished before but this is some pretty heavy pitting.

·
Unscratch
24 Posts
Pitted versus Scratched Glass

I did notice that. Pitted is still fixable. It just takes longer. Definitely not our favorite either. Pits from sandblasting tend to be deep and widespread. We have done welding damage repair but tend to avoid widespread sandblasting damage. However, if its light or isolated to a small area, we will do it with excellent results.

Rick Evans
Scratched Glass Repair - No Distortion Guarantee
888-986-7272
[URL="http://www.unscratchthesurface.com/contact"]Glass Scratch Removal - free estimate[/URL]
Glass Restoration - pricing info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts