Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While walking the dog, I was wondering about computer software/programs, where one can tap into the controls through the home computer.

It seems as though the personal computer is becoming more and more of a goto tools.

I am not hating on traditional t-stat to furnace control setup. But, it would be bitchin to have a comfort control center that can be accessed by the home computer.

Anybody hear of any "smart home" setups?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It's called home automation and been around for a long long time.

There are several companies that offer control of your HVAC system through various interfaces such as touchscreens, keypads, computers, DTMF, your iPhone and more.

There are simple inexpensive systems from HAI, and big can-do-anything systems from Crestron.

I install Crestron systems and can dial up a clients house and adjust their music, their TV, their temperature and their lights, and watch it all happen on the cameras.

Fun stuff.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew the home automation thing has been around for awhile. I was wondering if other hvac guys get involved with that aspect. What is the average price of an install of a Crestron system? What is the average price of an HAI install. How high of a demand is there for home automation?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Not real popular in my area. There are a few homes with it.

You can get inexpensive thermostats that you cam call from a phone.
Or ones in the 200 dollar range that you can access from the internet.
And they log run times for you.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not that I am a proponent of fancy controls (or against it for that matter), it seems as though people are spending more time on their home computer for a variety of reasons. For example, here I am writing a little something, and yes, it would be nice to turn up the heat a skosh.

By all means, I can get my butt off and adjust the stat should I choose. But, it would be nice to just change it right here, right now. I never seen anything out there, but, we aren't overly high-tech. I am sure there is a market for that stuff here, but, you don't see a lot of smart-home vans around town.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While we're on the topic of Internet connected thermostats - we provide a service for Proliphix owners and installers. It's called InThrMa - you can just Google us for a link.

We're happy to give you a demo.

Happy Holidays!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts