Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, I once had a life. Wasn't always screwing down tin. I'd love to hear some of your travel stories and places you've been. How you ended up where you are etc.
Bought a cool T-shirt in the middle east that said "Join the army, see the world, get to meet lots of interesting people and kill them". I was a sapper in the RCEME (canadian army engineers) and thought I was pretty rugged at the time. While in Egypt we saw all the required essentials of course (museum, pyramids) but the people were what stood out. Very friendly locals mostly and very resourceful, they could fix anything with tape, wire and a pocket knife it seems. McGuyver would have been proud. One time driving in downtown Cairo (busy traffic) we were passed by a large, beat up, Russian made 1940's vintage 5 ton cargo truck filled with to the brim with people in the back. The driver would gesture to another dude sitting on a front fender, we watched for a while amazed at the precision of what they were doing. The fender guy was working the throttle for driver while driver shifts and drives, never saw anyone on brakes. Now that's rugged.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Hello guys,
Thought I'd stop in and tell my travels. Well, I just got back from Australia. We went for 3 weeks. It was the most beautiful place. I cant wait to get back there. My fiance and I went there to get married. Neither of us are from there but we didnt want a big fancy wedding. Plus we're both certified divers and it was the best diving I have ever seen. Coming from WI that isnt sayin much lol. We went down to about 85 feet and I didnt have a wetsuit on. It was as warm down there as it was at surface on the Great Barrier Reef. We stayed in Port Douglas for a week, Cairns for one night, then a live aboard boat for 3 days of diving out on the reef. Then we rented a motorhome and drove it down the coast until we got to Melbourne where we stayed for a few more days. I didn't want to come home!
By the way, we stayed at the Shang-ri-la Hotel in Cairns right on the Pacific and got a free upgrade from a $200 a night room to a $750 a night room with 2 balconies. :cheesygri

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Crap!....went down to the quick stop and bought this braud a burrito. She was friendly. Then her brother came along and said somthing about paying up. He pulled a knife, cops got called, some shots went off, ended up spending the weekend in a concrete room with a shinny new tollet. Now why would some one think they had to leave the US for a good time?:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Started traveling the USA, on my own, when I was 16 every summer going to different music and arts festivals, and then slowly moved into the camping the hiking scene. I think I've been across the US 30 times (usually I-80).

I've been to Eurpoe two times. First was with a high school trip to France for 3 weeks. The second was about two years ago, and went to France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands (with long time gfriend (8 years now) and our closest friend).

Went to the Caribean a couple years ago to around 10 islands (cruise). Went to Alaska on a cruise a few years before that. I will be going to the S. caribean this winter for yet another cruise.

Most of my travels have been done between the age of 18-24. I'm now 25.

I am in the process of planning a similar trip to SE Asia/New Zealand/Australia where I want to get engaged to my girl friend. Hopefully by early 2006, before the roofing season starts up again I can take a month long trip.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I am getting my motorcycle tommorrow. Who knows where that will take me....
probably not out of the state....but far nevertheless

·
Registered
378 Posts
At 23 i had oppertunity to be unpaid crew on relitives 60ft sail boat.Were to suppose to sail from keys to bahammas and back 2 months or so.What i didn,t no was boat hadn,t moved in several years and amost everthing was broken includeing the heads and plumbing.After several aborted attemps we finaly set sail .That beachboys song doesn,t even begin to describe this trip.We spent a week diving for something that could put us in a bahamian jail,hint {fritters}.Also were almost run over by several ships including a oil tanker.Amost lost someone at sea due to tidal currents.One port had a sailfish tornament going on,captain saw oppertunity for free dinner,anyone had fishhead soup????

·
Registered
318 Posts
Domestically I've been to every state but 5 (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Washington and Alaska). Outside the US I've been to Canada Germany and Mexico and spent about 2 hours in Denmark.

I'd like to follow my dad on a couple of his trips. Over the past 6 months he's been to Macedonia and Israel.

Tim

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I grew up on an 80 ft. schooner, a former rumrunner. Dad had an ambition to be the last sailing freighter and decided to ply his new found trade in the North Atlantic. I spent 2 yrs. up there pounding ice, lots-o-fun for a kid from the Bahamas. Got to see much of New England, Nova Scotia, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, England, France, Spain and Portugal. After those years, he pulled back to the islands and there are not many in the Bahamas or Carribean that I have not been to. He later got on this Pacific gig and we had to go through the Canal and on to the Galapagos, Easter Island and around the 'Horn'. We actually did this 3 times. There are not many countries in the America's that I have not visited. I am also missing the breadbasket of our country, I get weird when too far from the sea. I had an all expenses paid trip to Vietnam which lasted way too long, the I&I in Thailand eased things a little. After that things settled down a little. I got to go to Hungary and Checkoslovokia when it was still behind the Iron Curtain, not too pleasant. Went back to 'rediscover' Europe a few times, will never go again.
Today I'm happy just going the 68 miles to the Bahamas. Warm weather, good fishing and diving, who needs more?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Damn Teetor, that's a hard act to follow!!
Been to Europe three times, twice with family, once solo. Found the Village in France where my Uncle was killed, visited his grave and the Normandy landing beachs where my Dad went in D+1. Man, it takes the breath out of you. Met up with a couple of Embassy Marines in a Paris bar, "Somehow" a riot followed, with the Frenchies emptying the chamber pots out the windows (Stalingrad District?)
When one hears the Po-lice blowing them whisles in Paris, seek cover!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Peace all..

Had the pleasure of serving in the Navy (Never Again Volunteer Yourself)

Been to Norway, Bulgaria, Spain, Italy (2 times), Turkey, Israel (3 times), Bosnia, Cuba, and the Bahamas.

In Bari Italy, a fight started between a local, and a sailor friend of mine over the hitting on of his girlfriend. That fight poured out of the bar, into downtown, between over 40 sailors, 100+ marines, and who knows how many local Italians. We manged to get the Navy and Marines kicked out of the entire country.

Til this day, I dont know if the Navy is allowed back in Italy.

Peace

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Good stories!
In my first trip to the UK as an adult (1983) ol'#1 and I were driving up the east coast and settled into a little pub for lunch. There was a rugby game on the telly and a bunch of chaps dressed in their Rugby regalia. Guiness was the drink of the day and I had quite a few pints when 'needling the yank' became a favourite game.
Having attended St. Andrew's and Paisley University, I knew that they lacked an objective view of American history and proceeded to enlighten them. This did not go well. Ol'#1 managed to get me out of the pub just before I became a crippled American and an entourage followed us into the street. Fortunately, there happened to be a Bobby (cop) walking on the opposite side and we managed to get to our car and escape intact.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Friend of mine met swedish aupair in us and eventualy moved to sweden and got married .Me and future wife decided to visit them summer of 97.While traveling thru london sweden and norway we saw the tabloid headlines on everynews stand about diana and doti alfayeds globetrotting affair.I guess you can figure out what happens day before we return to london on our way back to states.Kind of strange being in the middle of history,anyway all of the sights we had planned to see in london were closed on account of the funeral preparations. Interesting fact the chinese resturant-lee-ho-fuk that warren zevon refers to in his song exists,were sure they did not name resturant after song,i think we were only non-chinese in the resturant.Garibaldi st. is londons china town just don,t bother asking for directions no one knew were it was even though we were only 2 blocks away.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Peace all..

chinese resturant-lee-ho-fuk
:) :) :)
I would love a picture of the front sign.

Peace

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We rented a car in Germany and drove to Italy in the spring of 79. I owned an Italian motorcycle I had bought a couple years previous. It wasn't planned but it just so happened that the Ducati factory was almost walking distance from the hotel we stayed at that night. I thought a factory tour would be nice.
In the morning my camera was loaded and we were off to see (in my mind) the mecca of motorcycles. Drove right thru the open automatic gates with our little Ford Fiesta and could not find a place to park altho it was a large lot. Still searching for a place to stop we spotted a road going around the back of the factory (just had to drive over a bit of grass to get on it) to find more parking. Now we are on this fine piece of serpentine tar mac, suddenly, two Ducati V twins came roaring up from behind and pass us like we sittin still! One rider after passing us sits up and looks back and he's making all these funny gestures!
Our little ride gets us to where race bikes are parked and riders are standing around in full leathers, staring at us. I get out my camera, can't believe my eyes... all this exotic hardware. Uh, can I take a picture sir? Silence.... Anyone speak english? Silence...
Ya you guessed it I had stumbled onto the test track where they keep thier secret test bikes.
Have you seen that TV commercial "want to get away?"
We drive out the same gates we came in as they were being shut, just slipping thru in time. I watched in the rear view mirror, people were running all over, security guards were blowing whistles. Never got the tour, took a while but the tar and feathers finally came off.

·
Registered
318 Posts
"the chinese resturant-lee-ho-fuk"

I've got a photo somewhere of a business in Munich called "Wurst Fuchs". The wife and I found that on our honeymoon.... :cheesygri

Tim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts