Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
47,256 Posts
Mantus - Well, it looks nice but I'm afraid it won't function properly. The way a hot water coil is designed is to have the cool air come in from the bottom and the hot air leave from the top. It should be constructed so the air is drawn in at the lower side and the hot air is released at the upper side. Although this will function, it will not function at a good efficiency and may not heat the room adequately. To fix this without a lot of work would require you to put some slots or another grill in the top of the cover. The top of the box will become very warm and may warp because of heat differences of the top and bottom of the board. Sorry for the bad news. It does look good though.

Leo

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Leo G said:
Mantus - Well, it looks nice but I'm afraid it won't function properly. The way a hot water coil is designed is to have the cool air come in from the bottom and the hot air leave from the top. It should be constructed so the air is drawn in at the lower side and the hot air is released at the upper side. Although this will function, it will not function at a good efficiency and may not heat the room adequately. To fix this without a lot of work would require you to put some slots or another grill in the top of the cover. The top of the box will become very warm and may warp because of heat differences of the top and bottom of the board. Sorry for the bad news. It does look good though.

Leo
I don't think that's bad news at all. I just learned something new :D I would rather have someone tell me a better way then to just say it looks good. Besides not knowing how it worked.... i know heat rises and did think about putting the grate on top with nothing on sides..... ,the reason i didn't put slots on top is because i thought something might fall into them and she wouldn't like it that way ... She is very picky about the work,which is why i was asked to work on the job. ... I have to build 2 more covers for the same types of heaters but these are bigger ... maybe about 2 1/2' high. I have to build 1 tomorrow so i hope to get a response from you by then,but if not,i will do my best remembering what you told me. If i put a grill on top,i don't think i should do it with that trim i used on side because it might not look good. I just need to see these things done which is why i am looking for a tape i can watch or maybe just a site on the internet where i can see what some others have built. thanks for the help.. OK i see a few metal ones which all seem to be off the ground about 2 inches. So,the grill doesn't have to be directly on the top of the cover as long as there is a place for cold air to come in on bottom? OR is that just if they are metal because it won't warp like wood?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
47,256 Posts
MANTUS said:
I don't think that's bad news at all. I just learned something new :D I would rather have someone tell me a better way then to just say it looks good. Besides not knowing how it worked.... i know heat rises and did think about putting the grate on top with nothing on sides..... ,the reason i didn't put slots on top is because i thought something might fall into them and she wouldn't like it that way ... She is very picky about the work,which is why i was asked to work on the job. ... I have to build 2 more covers for the same types of heaters but these are bigger ... maybe about 2 1/2' high. I have to build 1 tomorrow so i hope to get a response from you by then,but if not,i will do my best remembering what you told me. If i put a grill on top,i don't think i should do it with that trim i used on side because it might not look good. I just need to see these things done which is why i am looking for a tape i can watch or maybe just a site on the internet where i can see what some others have built. thanks for the help.. OK i see a few metal ones which all seem to be off the ground about 2 inches. So,the grill doesn't have to be directly on the top of the cover as long as there is a place for cold air to come in on bottom? OR is that just if they are metal because it won't warp like wood?
Here is a sample of one I built a few years ago. It is for a cast iron radiator, but you'll get the idea. I routed grooves in the top and made a pattern that I thought look good. Sorry about the poor quality photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
MANTUS said:
About this heater cover i built today. It's my 1st one :D ...
Mantus,

Looks good. I had a carpenter build one for me a while back and LEO is right about the function of the heat.My carpenter put screen on the inside of the grate so nothing would fall inside and the homeowner could just vacuum it.Also, he lined the inside of the box with a heavy duty foil paper(heat shield),I'm not sure how effective it was but I never got a callback.We also had a discussion about building it tight against the vanity,so it would'nt become a toothbrush trap.He had a little more room and left it about 3 inches away.But, you're workmanship looks right on!!

Good luck,

J

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hold the phone!!

You guys are comparing apples to oranges, I is a convector, the other is a raditor. two completely defferant types of heat, yes the raditors need some type of top opening. However convectors do not, the only thing needed to be done to the bathroom unit is provide airflow from below by means of a slice and or grate below the unit and the floor line. This will allow enough air flow thru the coil and exit thru the grate on the side/front.

BJD

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
47,256 Posts
Bjd said:
Hold the phone!!

You guys are comparing apples to oranges, I is a convector, the other is a raditor. two completely defferant types of heat, yes the raditors need some type of top opening. However convectors do not, the only thing needed to be done to the bathroom unit is provide airflow from below by means of a slice and or grate below the unit and the floor line. This will allow enough air flow thru the coil and exit thru the grate on the side/front.

BJD

Holding phone. The convector has very specific needs to operate properly. There must be an in and an out separated by the aluminum fins/coil unit. If this is not done the heat output is much less than if you have the correct conditions. If you have a baseboard heater and you remove the front plate you will lose about 60% of its heating capabilities. This is the condition that must be upheld in order to have an efficient heat transfer. The radiator on the other hand, because of its size will overcome these deficiencies by brute force. However to keep it more effective you need to put a heat release (slot) in the top. With the price of fuel, efficiency is important.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Bjd said:
Hold the phone!!

BJD

BJD,

That is not always true! Cast iron radiators also heat by means of convection. The heat style in picture #1 is usually in a semi-recessed enclosure on an outside wall especially in a bathroom. The metal enclosure is a tighter fit than the wooden box shown and the metal(thin by design) does not retain heat like wood. I think more holes in this situation would be beneficial,since it is such a small piece of heat.

In picture #2 that also could use more openings in the enclosure. When it comes to cast iron radiators having all sides and the top vented is very beneficial since they continue to heat(convect) long after the thermostat is satisified.

Both gentleman did a nice job! Sometimes, it is a shame to see some cast iron radiators enclosed. There are some out there with really nice designed sections.

J

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Both boxes look good, very nice work guys. Minor point here - Air passing over a hot suface removes heat by convection. Both examples are convectors altho one of them is way more efficient due to more surface area. Because one looks like the radiator on your truck (which too is mis-named) doesn't mean it is. Radiators don't heat the air they heat surfaces by radiation, the sun is the best example, propane heaters etc. my nickels worth, Met.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Humble Abode said:
Thats damn nice looking Mantus. What is the mesh you used and where did you get it?
I actually thought you guys would say "AHH TOO EASY" :) ... The guy i am doing the job for got that mesh at Home Depot. I spend alot of time in Home Depot since i started working for this guy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just built the other one today but didn't cut the openings because i wasn't sure what i was going to use for opening material. i'll post a pic when i finish it

·
Registered
295 Posts
MANTUS said:
I just built the other one today but didn't cut the openings because i wasn't sure what i was going to use for opening material. i'll post a pic when i finish it

Just curious, are you making them so the heat is accessible for service?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
plumguy said:
Just curious, are you making them so the heat is accessible for service?
If your asking if i'm making them removable,then yes. ... I had to do a few crown jobs,so i didn't get a chance to finish the one i started,but i am going to take it to the shop on Friday and work on it there. I'm just getting tired of listening to this ladies dogs crying all the time. I'm so glad i have a cat

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm down south and don't do heat, we have plenty of that. Is there ever a fire hazard with these units?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
I'm down south and don't do heat, we have plenty of that. Is there ever a fire hazard with these units?
No, they don't get hot enough.The only thing on a heating system that gets

inspected is the boiler.Gas is inspected by a gas inspector and oil is done by

the fire dept.

The rest of the system, how big,how much heat and location is up the

contractor to size properly.That's why air flow is so important,just like the

vents on your'e AC.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
plumguy said:
No, they don't get hot enough.The only thing on a heating system that gets

inspected is the boiler.Gas is inspected by a gas inspector and oil is done by

the fire dept.

The rest of the system, how big,how much heat and location is up the

contractor to size properly.That's why air flow is so important,just like the

vents on your'e AC.
Now,i see the second unit doesn't have open areas on the lower side of the unit,but only on top and front. Do my units NEED open areas on the lower side or can i just make opening like the second unit? I want to make and arch in the bottom front,an opening w/ grill in the top front,and a few slices in the top but the customer said she may not like the arch because it will collect dust and dirt. I told her it will work better with the arch. I'm taking the second one i built to the shop Friday. I have an idea as to what i will be doing to complete it,but i'll check back here tomorrow,just to see if anyone else has something to add. thanks ... O yeah i almost forgot. I need a router but i'm not sure which one to buy. I never used one before because i never needed it,so i don't know which are good. I figure i may need it now,if i'm going to be building things like these covers,but i may not be using it ..... maybe 3X/month i think. The Hitachi is nice looking and i'm sure the bosch is a good one. i know their jigsaw is real good

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
MANTUS said:
Here is the new one. It would have been bigger but that was her fault for that .....

Thats really nice looking. Are those going to be staing or painted?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Humble Abode said:
Thats really nice looking. Are those going to be staing or painted?
Thanks .. they are going to be stained. I was worried she was going to say something about the sharp edges around the top openings,so i rounded them with a router. I was thinking they might be to big now but i figure it's better for the heat to excape. She just wants a grill on the inside so nothing falls through. I was thinking ... i even told her from the beginning that i would do that anyway

1 - 20 of 26 Posts