Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was ripping out a set of old concrete steps to make way for new footings and a composite set of stairs.

I know all old stairs are filled with rubble. These were but also they had a bunch of square flu looking objects stacked up in there as fill also. They were about 3.5' long and probly 14-16" wide they had multiple cells unlike a normal flu pipe and were clay material.

I'm thinking it's some sort of flu or something. There was writing on it that said national fireproofing company on it but I couldn't make much of the writing out.

Soil Plant Metal

So who's got the answer?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I don't know what they are but have seen the same thing in IL.Was doing the same type of job yesterday and drilling into old concrete and ruined 3- 3/16 Milwaukee in no time with my Bosch hammer drill.I've tore some out around here and found whiskey and vodka bottles used for fill.Who knows?

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just started searching alittle bit more..

Found this

Text Poster Font Paper Art

Dont know if its relevant. If you search natco hollow fireproofing company you can see there 1915? Catalog on archive.org. Pretty cool

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Looks like fjn got it right! Awesome.. I like Learning about what I'm smashing :laughing: I actually have 2 hole units sitting in the dumpster. Maybe I'll cut them into 12" pieces and make a wine rack? Alittle piece of history saved from the dump?

The ones I encountered did not have bell ends though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We redid a large department store building built in the forties. The walls were structural timber frame made from large timbers. The spaces in between were infilled with tiles that looked just like those. The outside was plastered with cement. They called them speed tile. They were non structural but met the fire requirements of the day. They were quite easy to remove in the areas that we removed them. Could possibly be speed tile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.