Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fought a few battles on hot days, it always seems that the floors I get are the worst case of conditions for moving concrete, so it takes way too long to unload the trucks.

I have a few pours coming up that are larger than normal, and we have to use wheelbarrows for one of them, I think I need to use retarder but I am not sure what to expect out of it.

Say I have 3 trucks coming, do you use it in all three trucks, or just the first two and pour the last truck without to even out the set time?

How much time does it typically buy on a hot day, can I expect an extra hour or two at least before having to get on it with the float blades?

I have the chance to bid on a 20,000 foot floor for late summer, and I really want to tackle it, the owner wants to pour it in 5 separate pours which would just happen to work out perfect for me since I don't have a ride on, but I know that even with 4,000 feet I will need to slow things down a bit, 2,500 is the biggest I have finished alone and we were hauling ass to get it in fast enough.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I've used retarder several times with varying rates of success. Some good and some not so good. As you know, there are so many variables to take into consideration: weather conditions, ready mix company reliability, base material (Sand fill or Plastic), percentage of retarder, slump required, etc etc etc.

What a lot of guys around here do when its hot, if they have a larger pour, is get some light towers and start about 3:00 am. Takes the hot part of the day out of the equation. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, those early morning ones are a treat for sure. I have been on a few like that for other guys.

My pours are always a little hectic though, I feel like I am herding cats sometimes, I need as much extra time as I can get when it gets hot out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
We just poured 16 yards at 830 am on Monday with two 8 yard loads when it was 80 degrees with noticeable humidity by about 1030. We had retarder in both loads.

I would put half as much or no retarder in the second load next time if we set it up the same way to call the second truck when ready for it. Plant was 3 miles away.

I believe the supplier said retarder would buy us 45 minutes to an hour. It was longer than that. I would say more like 2+ hours. We got bored waiting for it to set up enough to get on it.

If it was hotter than that I would think about a little more in the first load since the first half was ready a little too soon before the second was.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just poured 16 yards at 830 am on Monday with two 8 yard loads when it was 80 degrees with noticeable humidity. We had retarder in both loads.

I would put half as much or no retarder in the second load next time if we set it up the same way to call the second truck when ready for it. Plant was 3 miles away.

I believe the supplier said retarder would buy us 45 minutes to an hour. It was longer than that. I would say more like 2+ hours. We got bored waiting for it to set up enough to get on it.

If it was hotter than that I would think about a little more in the first load since the first half was ready a little too soon before the second was.
Saunders or Vitale?

You guys busy next Saturday, I need a second finisher :laughing:

I would not mind a 2 hour wait at all, I would rather be waiting on the concrete than expect it to be waiting on me.

·
Super Moderator
24,734 Posts
Not quite sure how some of you guys can use wheelbarrow & concrete in the same sentence....:whistling:laughing:

Will your mix design allow the use of a retarder?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not quite sure how some of you guys can use wheelbarrow & concrete in the same sentence....:whistling:laughing:

Good question, my go to mix is just 4000 psi, #1 stone with micro fiber.

I might get the buggy over there for the next one, but the builder said he would supply the wheel barrow guys, so screw it, they aren't my guys humping it.

·
Super Moderator
24,734 Posts
Good question, my go to mix is just 4000 psi, #1 stone with micro fiber.

I might get the buggy over there for the next one, but the builder said he would supply the wheel barrow guys, so screw it, they aren't my guys humping it.

How many yards?

Can the wheelbarrow guys get it laid down fast enough?

Pumps are SO easy....:thumbup:

·
Registered
864 Posts

I let my license to run a wheelbarrow expire. But I have guys who can and do. :laughing:

I seriously doubt a pole barn has a mix design requirement.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm not in any way a concrete guy so tell me if I don't know what I'm talking about. If you can't use retarder how about ice. Think some of the guys around here will use it sometimes. Not sure what the plants charge though.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I'm not in any way a concrete guy so tell me if I don't know what I'm talking about. If you can't use retarder how about ice. Think some of the guys around here will use it sometimes. Not sure what the plants charge though.
For real ice? or is that just a brand?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Sitdwn,

You REALLY need to have a sit-down with your ready mix supply salesman, or better yet, Quality Control man. They alter concrete for different applications on a daily basis, no one knows better how their concrete responds to retarder, etc... I have no doubt that they'd be willing to spend a few minutes with you, it's also in their best interest that you succeed with their product........:thumbsup:

·
Contractor
7,433 Posts
For real ice? or is that just a brand?
Yep, real ice. They put it in at the plant, in exchange for water in the mix.

It slows down the set time a good bit, but does not alter the mix otherwise.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts