Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering what you guys have in regard to telephone answering.

1. Person related to business answers

2. Machine answers

3. Phone service answers

What seems to work for you and what is your perception of the ones you dont use. What do you think is the prospects perception of them?

Thanks

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
#2 - machine, only because that's what's most normal in my area. If it was normal for a contracting business to have a live person on the end of the line, then that's what I'd have. True, a live person is much better than a machine, but I'm plenty busy enough, and people are used to leaving a message in my geographic area.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
When I used a machine, I noticed alot of calls coming in (caller ID), but not many messages. Personally, if I call for info from a company, and don't get a live person, I rarely leave a message. I move on to the next on the list. When people are hot to buy, you need to jump. This goes back to the thread about being the first to be on site for estimating. You snooze, you lose. I now have my business line forwarded to my cell phone when on site, and vice versa when in the office. If I'm "on the wall" at the time of the call, I return it the minute I'm available. Even if they don't leave a message, I return the call. How many times have you heard people complain about these new phone menus, press 1 for XX, press 2 for XXX. Yeah, me too. I want to TALK to someone, even if they just take my info for someone else to call back.

My 2¢

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
When I used a machine, I noticed alot of calls coming in (caller ID), but not many messages. Personally, if I call for info from a company, and don't get a live person, I rarely leave a message. I move on to the next on the list. When people are hot to buy, you need to jump. This goes back to the thread about being the first to be on site for estimating. You snooze, you lose. I now have my business line forwarded to my cell phone when on site, and vice versa when in the office. If I'm "on the wall" at the time of the call, I return it the minute I'm available. Even if they don't leave a message, I return the call. How many times have you heard people complain about these new phone menus, press 1 for XX, press 2 for XXX. Yeah, me too. I want to TALK to someone, even if they just take my info for someone else to call back.

My 2¢
Ditto Prowall, and I'm just responding to your post, so don't go thinking I love you like in Ghost and $hit.:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Everything through the cel phone to me. Everybody gets to talk to the decision maker.
I will change this as the window treatment business takes off and I get personell that I am comfortable with.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
In my area very few people will leave a message on a machine, if they are requesting an estimate. They want to talk to a human voice. I know this due to caller ID logs. Lots of calls, very few messages. I have most of the calls sent to my cell phone currently but I am highly considering an answering service.

At some point I will have office help, and then the answering service will simply be for after hours.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I have an answering machine. The message first states that the caller has reached a voice-mail box and then offers my cell phone # for anyone that desires immediate assistance. The message then invites the caller to otherwise leave a message.
I find that about 1/2 of those that get the machine will call my cell #. About 1/4 will leave a message. More than 1/2 of the calls that neither leave a message nor call my cell appear to be tele-market calls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts