Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give us a roofing update on your house. I'm curious to know what is going on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Blue skys are here, boy howdy! Hitting about 90* every day but not the 'blue skys' that you referred to.
5 days of rain and a ripped off truck really demolished a timetable. Feisel did not co-operate with my wishes and so there really was no timeline established with them. Upshot of the whole situation was that I couldn't spare any of my guys and had to DIY the gable ends. The first day was 10 hrs. solo. The second day, my helper was an old friend and disabled VNV, 8 yrs. my senior. He painted, drank and handed me tools, 2 old dudes on a roof job in the summer. I estimated 12 hrs. for younger guys and it took us 30, we had to take quite a few breaks and I lost 7 lbs. in 2 days. Got a really nice tan too.
The original Cedar fascia and shinglemould lasted 25 yrs. when it was slammed up there and spray painted, so that was the choice of the replacement material. It was dried, cut to fit and given 2 coats of primer on all sides. HardieBoard replaced the T-1 and got the same treatment with the edges being hit every time for a total of 4 coats. All was installed beyond the Miami-Dade High Velocity Wind Code for size, type and spacing of fasteners.
Feisel came in, without warning, while this was in progress to do the flashing (coordination starts with communication, right?). They could not finish because we were not done but they assured me that it would pass inspection anyway. I figured that they were in the GOB network. WRONG! Failed the next day. Last night I had guys with Nebraska tags beating on my roof some more and no indication of having passed insp. today. The metal is sitting in my front yard cooking the grass underneath and hurricane Dennis is headed my way.
This could make a very interesting lawsuit with significant water damage.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I'd round up all the crap that you need a new one of and sit it in the rooms under where leaks are likely. :cheesygri
Did I just say that. Never mind! :Thumbs:

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
teetor

about 3 hours after i posted that i was handed a national weather service bulletin. Basically saying there is big trouble brewing in the gulf heading your way. So you might want to get yourself cocked locked and ready to rock just in case it doesn't fissel out before it hits land. They don't hand those out just to get rid of paper it means serious weather alert!!!!!!!!Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
It's just Dennis. I'm ready. Blowhard! Track shows the west coast, I'm on the east but ready in within a few hours. I'd feel much better if I had a roof!
I do have a 'Plan B'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts