Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 16 and looking for more hands on experience. I also need 22 hours of community service during the next several months. I thought it would be perfect to get involved with habitat, since dad's crew doesn't work on Saturdays and I am in school all week. The waiver says, "You must be 18 years old to be on scaffolding above 6ft high and/or to use power tools". I don't want to get stuck watching or doing all of the unskilled stuff. I know HOW to do things, I just want to get more practice. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Get the name of the individual that runs the local chapter.

Write them a letter explaining why & how you can be of service to them and you would like the age restriction waived.

State the number of hours you can commit monthly.

Explain, in detail, your experience & qualifications.

Have your Dad write a letter to back your statement up and approve of your use of power tools & to work on scaffolding etc.

Request a meeting with the individual to further discuss the matter.

Give the letter a couple of days to get there & then call the individual and ask if he has received your letter & then set up an appointment to meet.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Plenty to do for everyone. Lots of the work is preformed with hand tools. Show up an you'll stay busy and if for some reason you can't then find something to do...

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
That's great advice from Griz. Whether they'll waive the waiver or not, I don't know. But it should at least help get your crew leader to pay you some attention during your first day and help bump you into the next stage on the next day and forward.

I admire your ambition and interest in learning. But keep in mind that a Habitat project is a real construction project, and that given the challenge of supervising volunteers, it may take a day or two before they know you well enough to understand your capabilities.

For what it's worth, those restrictions won't necessarily keep you out of the learning opportunities. There's a lot going on on the typical Habitat site - layout, order of operations, and other thinking bits that are more valuable long-term than practice with a skilsaw.

Good luck with it, and thanks for volunteering.

- Bob

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was a Habitat board member in my community and have volunteered many many hours.

They won't waive the 16 year old rules. If you get hurt, their insurance won't cover you. Many affiliates won't let you work at all. Call your local chapter and inquire. Hopefully you can do some constructive work and just weild a hammer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm was a Habitat board member in my community and have volunteered many many hours.

They won't waive the 16 year old rules. If you get hurt, their insurance won't cover you. Many affiliates won't let you work at all. Call your local chapter and inquire. Hopefully you can do some constructive work and just weild a hammer.
Would anyone really care enough to ID me for using my impact driver? What about a shop vac? lol
I would think the organization is under just as much liability rather I use power tools or not. I doubt that is a condition of their insurance policy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I was a habitat board member in your area and you said that to me and laughed out load, You wouldn't be working on my site.

I hope some day you will realize the responsibilities some peple take seriously.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I was a habitat board member in your area and you said that to me and laughed out load, You wouldn't be working on my site.

I hope some day you will realize the responsibilities some peple take seriously.
I would not laugh out of a lack of respect for the organization's rules. I would laugh because, if they did ID me for using a shop vac, :whistling IT WOULD BE FUNNY! :jester:

:eek: Lighten up!

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,050 Posts
Would anyone really care enough to ID me for using my impact driver? What about a shop vac? lol
I would think the organization is under just as much liability rather I use power tools or not. I doubt that is a condition of their insurance policy.
While this may be true you are less likely to hurt yourself with just hand tools.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I hope some day you will realize the responsibilities some people take seriously.
You do realize he's 16 and he already knows "HOW" to do things, but just "needs practice".
Seeing as he's asking for advice, I'd say ask whoever is in charge of his community service what's allowable to get off of whatever he's on, do that, then a year or two later when he's finished high school, get on a framing crew and learn how to build houses. Not your dads though. He already knows it all, so he can hit it after high school for reals.

·
Banned
4 Posts
CarpenterSFO said:
Let us know how it goes. Are you doing it next weekend?
I almost signed up for this saturday, but Deer season starts on Saturday here. I don't hunt every weekend though, so if there is an opportunity for next weekend I will probably sign up, (edits out mean thing to say to OP)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I am going to make an assumption here. When you say you know how to do things I am going to assume you learned from your dad, and this is fine, But he won't be on the site so if they keep to the age restrictions, go ahead and do the grunt work, watch and listen. In all likelihood it will be different than what you already know. So use the time for a learning experience and learn a few new ways of doing things

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to make an assumption here. When you say you know how to do things I am going to assume you learned from your dad, and this is fine, But he won't be on the site so if they keep to the age restrictions, go ahead and do the grunt work, watch and listen. In all likelihood it will be different than what you already know. So use the time for a learning experience and learn a few new ways of doing things
Of course! I certainly don't think I am above "grunt work".

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I'm a PM with HFH greater Los Angeles. It's true that it's highly unlikely you can get a waiver. But there are a ton of things you can do on site to help in your growth. DW hanging and finishing come to mind ( my affiliate slows 16-17 year old to use screw guns). If you are ever in LA you are more than welcome on any of my sites.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I hope :thumbsup:
Did you go, B2B? I worked on a small crew hanging anchor bolts in forms, in prep for a pour next week. Not much required on the way of physical skills, but it has to be done right, and the layout included working with the project story poles, which have all the layout for 36 3-story townhouses. Far more educational than working with a skilsaw, I worked with some fine people, and came home and had a good night's sleep.

- Bob

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
CarpenterSFO said:
Did you go, B2B? I worked on a small crew hanging anchor bolts in forms, in prep for a pour next week. Not much required on the way of physical skills, but it has to be done right, and the layout included working with the project story poles, which have all the layout for 36 3-story townhouses. Far more educational than working with a skilsaw, I worked with some fine people, and came home and had a good night's sleep. - Bob
I was just up in your neck of the woods for the Carter Work Project in San Jose. Most of our construction department came up from SoCal to help out with the home repairs. We had a blast.

Reactions: CarpenterSFO
1 - 20 of 22 Posts