Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tearing out ~900 sq ft of engineered hardwood. The flooring is nailer down. Normally we just use a pry bar and go at it but there seems to always be a new tool coming out. It is hard to keep up with. Does anyone know of any "newer" tools that could make the tear out more efficient? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I dont think Ive torn out any engineered but i use a roofing shovel for tearing out all sorts of flooring. I keep several in the trailer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ArtisanRemod said:
I dont think Ive torn out any engineered but i use a roofing shovel for tearing out all sorts of flooring. I keep several in the trailer.
I have heard a lot about roofing shovels. Do they really make a difference?

·
Registered
818 Posts
The teeth really help

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ArtisanRemod said:
A roofing shovel uses leverage and I like working standing up. It won't work for nailed down solid wood. It's worth a try.
If it won't work for solid why would it work for engineered?

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Been using Burke Sr. as long as I have been in the business for wrecking forms. Sr or Jr either one would do some serious demo on any kind of wood flooring, I would think.

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
mudpad said:
Been using Burke Sr. as long as I have been in the business for wrecking forms. Sr or Jr either one would do some serious demo on any kind of wood flooring, I would think.
I Don't think you can really call yourself a commercial form-setter, if you haven't used a Burke Bar. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Californiadecks said:
The Burke Jr. Best damn bar in the history of the world. We call it "Baby Burke"[/QUOTE

I wonder where I can get one of these. I have not seen them at Home Depot.

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
You will not find these at a box store. Here's a link. I think the Burke Jr. Would probably be the one you want for flooring the Burke Sr. Is a little big. These bars are expensive but well worth the money on a lot projects.

Order tomorrow I'll bet you have it by Wednesday.

http://www.whitecap.com/shop/wc/49083

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
You will not find these at a box store. Here's a link. I think the Burke Jr. Would probably be the one you want for flooring the Burke Sr. Is a little big. These bars are expensive but well worth the money on a lot projects.

Order tomorrow I'll bet you have it by Wednesday.

http://www.whitecap.com/shop/wc/49083
Yea, they are good about getting things out quick, and depending on where you are they probably have a local rep, which is what I don't like about them. They got a salesman that comes out on my jobs and thinks he is the most important thing I got to deal with as long as he's here. Pictures of his bass he caught, backpacking trips with his kids etc. Wants to take me to lunch, all that crap. I finally had to hurt his feelings to get him to leave me alone. Now I call him if I need him, but he's got plenty of competition around here that go to first.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It takes a little skill, but I find a hammer to be the fastest tool. Just assume the same position you would if you were nailing it down, and swing the claw at the floor right where it meets the subfloor. It might take a while to get the hang of it, but it's greasy fast once you find that sweet spot. I use an Estwing. If the claw has a big curve to it, it won't work.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts