Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When tearing off a steep pitch, say greater anything more than a 8-9, do you prefer to set up the roof jacks to tear off, or do you prefer cleats and saftey lines.

I saw guys working yesterday on a roof and thay were basically relying on their harness and sort of repelling down the roof as they tore off. They banged it out quick, but is that really a safe way to go about it??

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
I have just always used jacks and toe boards...

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
We have learned to work in harnesses quite effectively. On those pitches, who knows? I think if you got to the point that your crew could learn to use them effectively, harnesses instead of boards should work nicely.

·
Registered
101 Posts
10 to 12 ill just set roofing brackets acrooss the bottom and use coach cushions to keep you from sliding, if you slide atleast u stop at the planks on the bottom and beats the hell out of nailing cleats then taking them off and nailing brackets. ive never used harnesses but they dont look like fun, one more thing to worry about. and using an extra cusion to hold your shingles while your nailing works great to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I prefer toe boards for the simple fact that all the debris does not run off the roof. Even if everything is protected on the ground, you are asking for trouble. I have seen guys with harnesses on and no toe boards and while it might be just as safe... I am sure the average homeowner wouldnt appreciate it nor think it was safe.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Safety requirements here dictate the use of ropes and harnesses on anything over 10 feet. Roof jacks and planks are not considered an acceptable alternative.

When it comes right down to it, I find using both systems in conjunction with each other makes life a lot easier, although not neccesarily quicker than one or the other.

I find the most productive crews in terms of quantity usually use ropes and old cushions. No toe boards.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
What about all three?

Ok just a slide stop, ropes, and cushions?

·
Registered
101 Posts
i used a rope today for awhile, just figured i would try it. It was on a 12/12, i didnt have a harness i just pulled it through my belt didnt tie it off just was right there if i needed to grab it. makes moving around a lot quicker for sure. and easier on my ankels when i was nailing shingles i tied a quick knot to take the pressure off my feet. i still swear by my old coach cushions though. roof brackets and planks are just time consumeing. i know its all about saftey, but with the prices these days how can you make any money.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
We are doing a 10/12 tomorrow, and we are using a board at the bottom all the way arouns, chicken ladders, cushions, and harnesses with retractible lanyards. WORD!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey whatever works! I find guys who do not install boards and rely soley upon ropes generally don't always take the time to do a lot of things...not always but...

For myself personally I prefer ropes, jacks and kneepads, although my knees hate me for it. Spose I'm too long in the tooth to learn to use a cushion :laughing:.

Anti-grav boots are the keys to a good roofing future!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts