Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Pro Painter
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Not only has Humble been working on a web site, (NICE job Humble) but I have as well. Seeing as I've had so much free time on my hands while this leg heals (which is going SLOWLY) I have spent many hours working on this out of shear boredome! I had to use frontpage because it's all that I have to put it simply. I made one website before a few years ago, so I know almost nothing, lol. I have gotten pretty good at making frontpage do what I want, but my wants are simple, heh.

I am using hostgator to host the site because they were cheap and offered a lot for the money. Including only having to pay for one month first. That's working out great because I love all the tools. It has made getting things done soooo simple. I'm a novice, and everything I wanted works ok!

Here is the link to the site http://www.aaqualitypainting.com Please do check it out and give me all your comments! I could use any help you guys can offer with getting listed and optimizing the site. Remember, I'm completely green at this! :eek:

Oh, I was able to make a form and get it working. It has an auto-responder that sends a thank you e-mail to the address the customer inputs immediately thanking them for inquiring. At the same time, I have the form set to email ME directly the results of the customer's input! Feel free to actually USE the form and you can receive our auto-response and have a look at that as well! IF you do this, put the word TEST in the "Project Details" box.

Ok, hit me with the comments! :Thumbs:
 

·
Custom Builder
Joined
·
4,406 Posts
The pics need work AA. Maybe somebody cooking on a grill, or drinking beer. Or how about some porn, naked chics everywhere, with body paints........yea, perfect!

Pics of naked girls everywhere and the caption reads:
AA Paints
The paints not the only job well done

:cheesygri
Bob
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,292 Posts
You have should follow everything I posted in Humble's thread. Nice work

Now I am thinking that I should be charging for my service's. :cheesygri
 

·
Pro Painter
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will follow your advice, thank you. I'm still working on the site...please consider it under construction. I have worked for weeks on this thing, and this is it's first showing. There are a couple little things that are broken, not included, etc that will come as I can get to them all. Those tags you talk about are something I've gotta do soon! :Thumbs:
 

·
Painting Contractor
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Very Nice. How long did it take you to get that form going? I threw my chair while I was working on mine... and I'm not known for my temper. It took me four days to get it working.

Sorry I can't offer you any advice, I'm in the same boat you are.

There are a number of sites that allow you to upload your URL to the various search engines. I think I found all or most of them by following the links that were posted in the other thread. That info is priceless and most of it is free. Follow those links and read everything.

Those tools hostgator offers are very cool. They are well suited to a novice like me :)
 

·
Painting Contractor
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
JustaFramer said:
You have should follow everything I posted in Humble's thread. Nice work

Now I am thinking that I should be charging for my service's. :cheesygri

You should! BTW if I didn't say it already Thank you!
 

·
Pro Painter
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The form, hehe. That one took me more than a few days itself. I am still editing it! There are a ton of little things that I can't just say DO THIS and it does it, ugh! Now I think I could do another one in frontpage no problem....that is, if all you want is what's on mine, lol. I keep fiddlin with the buttons, boxes, etc trying to figure out how to get them working like every other web site I've seen. Not easy at all my friend!

.....must submit site to links, gotcha! :Thumbs:
 

·
Painting Contractor
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
AAPaint said:
The form, hehe. That one took me more than a few days itself. I am still editing it! There are a ton of little things that I can't just say DO THIS and it does it, ugh! Now I think I could do another one in frontpage no problem....that is, if all you want is what's on mine, lol. I keep fiddlin with the buttons, boxes, etc trying to figure out how to get them working like every other web site I've seen. Not easy at all my friend!

.....must submit site to links, gotcha! :Thumbs:
I used the php FormGenerater created by sourceforge.net for mine. It's one of those handy programs that comes with your hostgator subscription. It was a bear trying to get it to do what I wanted it to though. The only "generator" I've tried so far that didn't include banner adds or adds for the makers, which, obviously I can't have on my site or I would have went with geocities or something.
 

·
Pro Painter
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been rapidly updating the site today....I'm still building. I'm finding it easier to tweak a page immediately on the server and viewing it on the browser now that I have a host. I dang sure missed the part where you said you were using hostgator. I'm quite the observant one some times... :rolleyes:

Hey!! I just looked at your form, that's dang nice! I need to ask questions like yours does.....you've added some that I didn't even think of that are EXTREMELY important info to gather from a customer!

Were you able to set up your autoresponder and have the form emailed to you? The autoresponder is so easy to setup with hostgator...I'm going to find more than one use for that nifty little feature!
 

·
Painting Contractor
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
AAPaint said:
I have been rapidly updating the site today....I'm still building. I'm finding it easier to tweak a page immediately on the server and viewing it on the browser now that I have a host. I dang sure missed the part where you said you were using hostgator. I'm quite the observant one some times... :rolleyes:

Hey!! I just looked at your form, that's dang nice! I need to ask questions like yours does.....you've added some that I didn't even think of that are EXTREMELY important info to gather from a customer!

Were you able to set up your autoresponder and have the form emailed to you? The autoresponder is so easy to setup with hostgator...I'm going to find more than one use for that nifty little feature!
Yea I actually ripped most of that form from someone elses site so I can't take any of the credit. It is very nice.

The phpformgen has a built in auto responder. It doesn't send a e-mail to the person who filled out the form but it does send one to me instantly and it shows a pregenerated Thank You page with all of the info that they put in the form for proofreading.

I think I will monkey around with the auto responder though, I like the idea of having a thank you e-mail sent to the prospective. One more chance for them to see and remember your name.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,292 Posts
AAPaint said:
Don't feel bad, I've gotten most of my ideas by searching the web myself. I wouldn't have known where to start with a layout or anything without looking for something to go on.......for the rest, I just wing it. :cheesygri

Myself I am just a template hack. But I usually do a radical overhaul to make it my own. Now if I had a good graphic design program I could pretty much do it all myself.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,292 Posts
You still a robots meta tag if you want to ever be indexed. And a Robots.txt wouldn't hurt.
 

·
Pro Painter
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have both of those things, I think!! I tested them with the tools from scrubtheweb and got good results. Also, since I'm using frames, I made sure to include the meta tags for each frame as well, and I'm working on setting up some no-frames content, allthough, I don't know exactly how much need there is for that these days....my luck, my customer's are connecting on 14.4k modems with windows 3.1!!

....and my thanks to you as well Justaframer! :Thumbs:
 

·
Back from the dead...
Joined
·
6,646 Posts
AAPaint said:
Ok, hit me with the comments! :Thumbs:
Just got off a plane, and dead tired, so I didn't look in depth. First impression, horrible choice for the photo on opening page. The chandelier throws off all kinds of shadows, and shows no real paint job/skill/WOWfactor whatsoever. Sorry, not trying to be be brutul, but you did ask, right? ;) More to come later.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
I would post some pics of warm soft colors with like white trim or white crowns. When you watch home improvement shows its seems like soft warm colors with white trim is in at the moment. Just a thought.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Just got off a plane, and dead tired, so I didn't look in depth. First impression, horrible choice for the photo on opening page. The chandelier throws off all kinds of shadows, and shows no real paint job/skill/WOWfactor whatsoever. Sorry, not trying to be be brutul, but you did ask, right? ;) More to come later.
Did you finally make it up to the east coast. If i remember correctly somewhere in maine you ask me about a while back. Or maybe my memory is incorrectly. It wasn't maine.
 

·
Painting Contractor
Joined
·
1,881 Posts
AAPaint said:
Unfortunately, the only other pics I still have that I could use are in the gallery. Let me know if any of those fit what you're talking about..
You don't have to use your own pictures for the home page.
You only have to use your own in your gallery.
It's ok to use images from the web (with permission if you have to)
for promotional purposes.
So many postcards and brochures are being done with stock images.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top