Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the dreaded Certainteed Horizon shingles that have cracking, grain loss and some curling. The curling is pretty minor. Is it OK to just shingle over everything. I only have one layer. They were installed in 1992 on a new construction. Can I just trim off the few corners that are curling or if I single over them wont the weight of the new shingle flatten things out?

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grumpy said:
Curling means you cant roof over. Sorry. Any imperfection will carry over to the next layer of shingles. Remember the existing shingles will continue to degrade and curl.
I'm with Grumpy on this. Not stripping is cheaper, but that's like putting clean new clothes over dirty old ones. You're not going to fool anyone either way. We routinely strip all roofs we do as this gives a better result, and we can fix any problems with the decking/sheathing at the same time. The tie-in to the flashings also is much better when you go "clean" and build up the roof from the decking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Trust me, stripping is the best way to go.
I just finished stripping my roof with only a couple of layers. I couldn't figure out why my roof looked so bad, now I know.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Certainteed should compesenate you for at the least the materials minus the ridge, vents, felt, and i/w. In my area of MN Certainteed has hired a person to personally look at the defective Horizon roofs and most people are satisfied when the deal is done which is what a salesman at the lumber yard said.

Tearing off is your only option. Depending on your area it may be expensive but you will have to fight with Certainteed for every penny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts